Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ellie ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 12:14PM

Took my girls to a Christian church down the street---wanted to show them that Sunday school at any other church is fun as well (they say that's why they want to go to mormon church).

Dropped them off at their brightly decorated and cheerful kids'room and went to the chapel. Lo and Behold, I felt that happy peaceful feeling at times--- and remembered when I would go to church with my friends every once in a while growing up and would tell my mom I felt the same feeling at their church---she told me it was Satan trying to lead me away from the true church. Can you believe that?? ugh.

When I went to pick up the girls they had perma grins and cute artwork-- topped it off with a whipped cream hot chocolate at the coffee bar in the lobby and they can't wait to go back next week.

I was a bit put off about the tithing request at the end of the sermon, however they did have a report on back of program of how much funds they received and exactly where it all went...and do a lot of community and world service. So, at least you know more of where your money would be going.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 12:21PM

Most spiritual experience of my life was in a Catholic church in Europe. And from the expressions of others in the room, I was not the only one. Hmmm... What does that tell you?

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 12:25PM

So that means that the movie is true. Right? Of course right.

I get that warm, happy feeling in my chest when I'm laughing at Animal House - that is one funny movie. It feels so good to watch it. Therefore, It's True!

Don't fall for cheap emotional tricks. It means nothing. Think instead.

Posted by: ellie ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 12:31PM

Oh I do too at movies, songs, etc. I feel that warm fuzzy feeling when I look at a bottle of whipped cream vodka also. :)

Posted by: BahBahBlacki ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 12:33AM

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 12:44PM

Hallmark commercial once. I also feel it every time I hear the national anthem.

Posted by: wirehead ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 01:31PM

Listening to my heavy metal music. (just kidding lol)

Seriously though, when I am praying by myself (doesnt matter if in the tub, working on my car, or before bedtime) is when I feel the spirit the most.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 01:39PM

I used to attend the local Anglican church Christmas service every year with school and always felt the "spirit". I actually felt it much easier to do so than I did in Mormon churches because the 900 year old stone building, the proper organ, the 50 strong choir etc brought a greater emotional response. I know many TBMs who admit to enjoying Christmas services more at "traditional" churches than they ever did "at church".

I always make the observation that most Catholics and Anglicans only come out at Christmas and Easter, whilst most Mormons think of it as a day off.

Posted by: daughters mormon ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 09:55PM

So true!! In my church on any given Sunday the church is about 80-90% full. On Christmas and Easter it is so packed that the standing room only crowd (to avoid fire code violations) has to be ushered into the social hall where the Mass is shown live on a huge screen via live feed video.

Posted by: ElysianNevermo ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 02:00PM

I have felt the spirit while watching insurgents get taken out by a surgical strike on a predator feed.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 02:08PM

One of the most spiritual moments of my life was at a Church of England cathedral Easter Vigil service.

And I was a missionary!

Posted by: babyraptorjesus ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 10:49PM

my friend once said to his bishop he felt the spirit when he was watching V for Vendetta, a rated R movie. He pointed out this shouldn't have happened because he wasn't supposed to watch the movie in the first place. The bishop then said "the spirit shows itself in many different ways". How ridiculous is that? The "spirit" could literally be ANY emotion under that logic.

Posted by: l2 ( )
Date: November 07, 2011 11:04PM

I too felt the spirit this past weekend when LSU put a can of whoop-ass on Bama's butt!

Yeee haaaawwww!

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: November 08, 2011 12:09AM

I've felt the spirit when I hold my partner's hand. Honest. It's the truest thing I know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.