Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quatermass ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 12:54AM

I wonder how many folks here might recall that sublime 1960s Patrick McGoohan series "The Prisoner"?

The more I consider that series, the more it seems an analgoue (if only sometimes indirectly) to Mormonism.

"The Village" itself, in the series, held everyone physically capative, preventing any escape attempts through fear of physical harm. But itsn't that exactly what Mormonism does? Imprisons and prevents escape as far as it can through psychological, rather than physical, means (at least in part). Mental barriers replace physical ones.

In the series, there were a couple of stock phrases, which were always meant to represent conditioned responses from inhabitants of the Village:

"Questions are a burden to others"

"Answers are a prison for oneself"

These seem rather familiar, as mental attitudes, from my time in the LDS.

There is one famous phrase uttered by McGoohan. "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

I'd like to propose a counterpart for those who have begun recovery: "I will not be called, recommended, interviewed, indoctrinated, fellowshiped, tithed, disfellowshipped. My mind is my own."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 01:05AM

Date: November 15, 2011 01:14AM

a) well remembered.

b) Walter Koening also used that 'signature' in a ST spin-off.

c) You can bet many LDS won't let go of you that easily!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 01:07AM

I'm onboard

Date: November 15, 2011 01:15AM

escap requires effort, but for so many of us it's well worth it.

To escape the sheer *control*

Posted by: flash ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 01:09AM

I always loved that show and yes it reminds me of my time in mormonism.

For me, it reminded me of my mission more than anything.

And those little promo spots from that show where you see McGoohan's face grow larger and then suddenly you see and hear the bars clang in front of his face; I always pictured my face as I fantasized on escaping the mission drudgery.

I did escape the village (mormonism) 22 years ago and no giant white balloon ever brought me back. :)

I do like your updated version of his famous classic phrase. Fits very well.

Date: November 15, 2011 01:19AM

Fortunately for me, I never went on a misson; otherwise I'd have been wondering now about how many poor saps I'd helped suckered into a con.

For me, Mormonism just reflects that series' ethos so well.

He's dead now, poor fellow, but I'd have very much enjoyed seeing Patrick McGoohan sitting in on a discussion with a) missionaries and b) GAs.

The latter would have been very interesting.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 10:33AM

I've got to finish re-watching that series. I have the 10-DVD set, and have stopped at "Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darling."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2011 08:15PM by michael.

Date: November 16, 2011 09:26AM

michael Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've got to finish re-watching that series. I
> have the 10-DVD set, and have stopped at "Do Not
> Forsake Me, Oh My Darling."

Well worth watching through to the end, especially the last two surreal episodes.

Trivia corner: The set used in "Living in Harmony" was also used in the film Carry on Cowboy and in the UFO episode "Mindbender"

Date: November 16, 2011 10:11AM

quatermass Wrote:
> Well worth watching through to the end, especially the last two surreal episodes.
>
> Trivia corner: The set used in "Living in Harmony" was also used in the film Carry on Cowboy and in the UFO episode "Mindbender"

Thanks for the information regarding the set. I saw "The Prisoner" when it was originally shown here in the US in 1968 (I think), and I wanted to see it again, which is why I bought the DVD set.

Date: November 21, 2011 11:01PM

> > Trivia corner: The set used in "Living in
> Harmony" was also used in the film Carry on Cowboy
> and in the UFO episode "Mindbender"
>
>
> Thanks for the information regarding the set. I
> saw "The Prisoner" when it was originally shown
> here in the US in 1968 (I think), and I wanted to
> see it again, which is why I bought the DVD set.

Very well worth paying out for the boxed set. So well crafted a programme, and the setting of Portmeirion in Wales is perfect.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 10:40AM

Storming in, throwing my resignation down and pounding on the desk and making the teacup jump. lol.. I wish that was me, but at the time I was still very timid and self-conscious. Patrick McGoohan was an inspiration.

Date: November 16, 2011 09:28AM

Actually, the Car was a Lotus Seven.

I believe you can still buy a version of it. Two snags: a) it costs a good few bob and b) it comes in kit form.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 01:36PM

My father owned an Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite when he was in college, and Dad's temperament and the way he dressed and wore his hair when he was young reminds me a lot of Patrick McGoohan. That scene particularly.

I like your nickname "Quatermass." Would you happen to be a fan of Hammer films? ;)

Date: November 21, 2011 11:04PM

Makurosu Wrote:

> I like your nickname "Quatermass." Would you
> happen to be a fan of Hammer films? ;)

Some Hammer films, yes. However, the Hammer film versions of Nigel Knele's professor were pretty poor. Bernard Quatermass was an intelligent, highly moral scientist. Brian Donleavy (already going to pieces through drink) turned him into a bawling bully.

Another Nigel Kneale production very well worth watching is "Year of the Sex Olympics". Discard the prurient title, this is a highy prescient work predicting the worst aspects of 'reality TV' years before it happened!

Posted by: sandlapper ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 10:52AM

Yes, a great series. I saw it back in the late '60s when it was originally broadcast.

The last two episodes are particularly bizarre, and I like the Village's "parting shot" at #6, when he supposedly gets back to his flat in London, and the dwarf butler who always was at #2's house is there and the door to #6's flat closes with the same mechanical sound that all the doors in the Village make.

Meaning? Maybe we never really escape, even though we think we have....

Date: November 15, 2011 11:06AM

sandlapper Wrote:
> Yes, a great series. I saw it back in the late '60s when it was originally broadcast.
>
> The last two episodes are particularly bizarre, and I like the Village's "parting shot" at #6, when he supposedly gets back to his flat in London, and the dwarf butler who always was at #2's house is there and the door to #6's flat closes with the same mechanical sound that all the doors in the Village make.
>
> Meaning? Maybe we never really escape, even though we think we have....

Do you remember the number on his door as it closed?

Date: November 16, 2011 09:30AM

> The last two episodes are particularly bizarre,
> and I like the Village's "parting shot" at #6,
> when he supposedly gets back to his flat in
> London, and the dwarf butler who always was at
> #2's house is there and the door to #6's flat
> closes with the same mechanical sound that all the
> doors in the Village make.
>
> Meaning? Maybe we never really escape, even
> though we think we have....

The series can be read on many levels. McGoohan hand a very large hand in those last two episodes, doing much of the scripttwriting himeslf. It shows.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 08:11PM

The remake was pretty good too, but nothing beats the original.

Date: November 16, 2011 09:33AM

presbyterian Wrote:
> The remake was pretty good too, but nothing beats
> the original.

I have to say I didn't care for the remake. The original had so many distinctive elements to it. 'Rover' was especially inspired, I always felt.

Date: November 16, 2011 01:58PM

I never saw the remake because it was on a channel I no longer get. For me, there is only ONE "Prisoner," Patrick McGoohan.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 03:33PM

Michael, Patrick McGoohan is MY Prisoner, too! I loved that show. It, and old school Doctor Who, were two of my favorite shows, which my kids now enjoy too, along with the new doctors David Tennant/Matt Smith and new companions. Anyway, I totally get the resemblance to the Village and the tentacles of the cult.......so creepy and disturbing, how the smiling 'robots' inside the village go along with the regularly scheduled programming, just like Morgbots programmed to pray, pay, & obey. At least there are far more options and avenues of escape from TSCC, but there are so many horror stories of stalking, threats, etc. from psycho members that the similarities hit very close to home.

Posted by: sandlapper ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 08:58PM

Old school Doctor Who -- now, we're getting down to brass tacks! intellectualfeminist, would you like a jelly baby?

I fully relate, and though I also enjoy all the "crash bang" that goes on in the new series, I particularly relished the writing of the old series. That goes for the original Prisoner, a classic that has yet to be matched.

Date: November 21, 2011 11:07PM

intellectualfeminist Wrote:

> TAnyway, I
> totally get the resemblance to the Village and the
> tentacles of the cult.......so creepy and
> disturbing, how the smiling 'robots' inside the
> village go along with the regularly scheduled
> programming, just like Morgbots programmed to
> pray, pay, & obey.

The number of similarities are rather disturbing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.