Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 05:11PM

I thought the BYUniverse was supposed to be in complete lockstep with following the profit & all that. But this article seems to indicate otherwise: http://universe.byu.edu/index.php/2011/11/13/trend-wary-to-marry-scary/
I would just love to see more and more young people openly defy Count Chocula and the Corpses of the 12 on this, and so much of their other maniuplation and BS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 05:21PM

Family economics have changed.

If Count Chocula wants young people to marry, he should get on the batphone with Jesus and get his useless ass to fix the economy to support young families.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 05:34PM

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 06:01PM

Narcissism? Nelson is an ass.

A young man who wants to play video games is not a good candidate for marriage, no matter what you call him.

Delaying marriage may not be such a bad thing, especially for Mormons.

More mature partners have more emotional and financial stability.
People who marry later also tend to have less children, which may suck for the morg, but translate into a higher quality of life for most couples.

My guess is that eventually most Mormon couples will go the route of most Catholics - they will ignore what the church wants and do what is best for themselves.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 06:18PM

You should have been there when Benson and Bagley were working at The Rag. There was ALWAYS something in it that bucked the system, and not just art/political commentary from Benson or Bagley. It was WONderful back in the day (late 70's, early 80's).

We should get Steve to re-publish "I am Appalled!", replete with wonderful stuff that was always "earthshaking" at the Zoo.

Ron

Posted by: annon for now ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 06:56PM

My wife and I were married after we both had established careers. She often laments not getting married earlier and having children while she was younger. However, being slightly more pragmatic, I simply call it the "raise a wife" program. The church shouldn't be encouraging young marriage, it should be encouraging proper marriage and commitment between mature adults. A marriage between two kids barely old enough to vote, especially when they are only concerned with having "zipper races", is doomed to failure.

when my daughter grows up, I will encourage her to be anything she wants to be and to get all the education she can. Being an uneducated housewife at 20 with 3 little kids running around is not going to be acceptable.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 10:59AM

Good for you. My nevermo mom really drilled this into my head. I didn't marry until my mid 30s, and only have two kids, and no regrets whatsoever. :-D

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 07:15PM

Economics is part of it. The church works hard at turning off normal sexual development. It is hard to just turn it back on. It is tougher because of modern technology (movies, internet, fashion, social media) and more liberal social norms. They tell youth they can not masturbate, look/admire/dream while looking at someone attractive, dance without touching, basically turning off the courting and natural sexual development. The surpression gets worse on a mission and as soon as they come home it's go out there and get yourself a worthy mate and f*&($ your brains out pumping out babies for the church - don't you know our numbers are down? Don't waste good semen by masturbating and having oral sex either.

Posted by: em928 ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 11:43PM

"David Lake, 23, estimates he has dated more than 70 girls since his mission, and gone on more than twice as many dates."

I'm pretty sure in ANY other college atmosphere he would be labeled "a player" or "a tool".

Oh how different the culture is...it's like a completely different world.

Date: November 16, 2011 11:04AM

em928 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "David Lake, 23, estimates he has dated more than
> 70 girls since his mission, and gone on more than
> twice as many dates. Sadly, they all dumped him when he refused
> to go to first base."

Edited to put the quote in context.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 11:04AM by Stumbling.

Posted by: ablmu65 ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 11:34AM

Just a side story concerning the mind controlling teaching of the mo-church. My oldest son who is still TBM but is starting to see the truth in all things. Was so intent after his mission to get married that he almost married twice before he had been home a year. The fist time thankfully the girl said no that she wasn't ready and the second time it was the girl that wanted to get married ASAP and my son wasn't ready. Both of these girls are TBM the first one wanted an education and would fit in the category of this threaded topic, the second was a manipulative witch that would threaten my son if he didn't call her at certain times of the day, basically asked him to marry her and wanted to have kids as soon as possible. After the second near miss my son decided that he didn't want to date any more "Mormon" girls and now he is dating a wonderful girl that is not Mormon and we love her. She has goals that are her own, and they make plans that are their own and they are planning a life together that has nothing to do with either religion. What a wonderful change I have seen in my son since he started to date this young lady. There is a life there and a happiness that he didn't have before when dating those other two mo-girls and he doesn't feel rushed to just get married and start a family.

Date: November 16, 2011 11:51AM

ablmu65 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a side story concerning the mind controlling
> teaching of the mo-church. My oldest son who is
> still TBM but is starting to see the truth in all
> things. Was so intent after his mission to get
> married that he almost married twice before he had
> been home a year. The fist time thankfully the
> girl said no that she wasn't ready

I wouldn't be ready for a fist time either...

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 11:47AM

"“Telling an 18-year-old today to go out and fend for him or herself would be like telling a 13-year-old in 1950 to go and survive,” said one demographer economist."

A 13 year old in 1950 could not rent an apartment or buy a car.

An 18 year old might be able to buy a car if he has a job and a place to live. So many youth have gotten caught with a big car payment and a rent payment. They don't have a savings account that can cover all of their expenses for two months so when they get laid off they loose their car and apartment.

I've known of 19 to twenty year olds sleeping on an old couch in a garage with a sleeping bag and a space heater for the winter and calling it good. If it was not for their friends giving them the garage space (the house is full of about 9 to 10 people sleeping every where) they would only have their pick up truck to sleep in. That was a house where three roommates shared the rest of the house with other single adults like themselves who helped a little with utilities and groceries.

It takes awhile for the kids to be able to move out and be on their own. College might help, but too many kids are stuck with huge loans just to survive getting an education that once completed, doesn't open up a job that can pay back the loan easily. So hard to see these things in the future when you're trying to survive in the present.

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 01:56PM

I also hate the assumption that a person must marry to be happy-- Scott's advice for women: “You may never have the opportunity for a suitable marriage in this life, so stop waiting and start moving."

Why does everyone have to get married, be it now or later? I am very happily married, but I have plenty of friends who never married and lead happy, productive lives.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.