Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 08:42PM

So you won't be making any NDE posts for a while?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: btc ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 08:50PM

...I will feel we can discuss the topic.

OH, WAIT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCVzz96zKA0

Case closed.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 12:54AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 01:12AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 09:17PM

about that angular gyrus--that was the statement in context.

Date: November 15, 2011 09:32PM

but one can't make a worthwhile statement about NDE's without talking about the angular gyrus.

Date: November 15, 2011 09:34PM

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 09:36PM

Does that mean we can do away with the old physics? Seems like metaphysics is much more powerful...almost like...magic!

Date: November 15, 2011 11:14PM

and so you win the game... But no one else in the some 130 posts on the topic in the past couple of days has mentioned it either. Are you sure everyone else agrees with your estimate of its importance?

But you're right: with a few exceptions containing new information, people are starting to speak in circles on the topic, so I'm out. I do agree with robertb on an earlier thread, though, in wondering just why it's soo important for some people to lay down the law about NDEs. There's a metamessage there, and I'd like to hear what it is.

robertb: "I'm interested in why NDEs and related subjects cause so much upset here. I could understand it if people were encouraging foolish or harmful behavior based on interest or belief in them, but I don't see that kind of encouragement. The ridicule employed (not the rational argumentation) appears to me to be an attempt at 'policing' others' thoughts--kind of a manifestation of the purity moral Jonathan Haidt writes about" (referencing a video talk of psych prof. Haidt on the five universal moral "channels" that appear to operate in people, with different cultures or politics stressing different ones).

Perhaps you could begin? Why is it important to you that I, at least, get straight about the angular gyrus?

Date: November 15, 2011 11:17PM

. . . for allegedly "talking in circles."

You are certainly talking in denial.
_____

Oh, and just in case others don't know exactly how you were confronted with scientific data on NDEs because you have conveniently failed to cite that source of pushback, here's the original post from "lulu" to you-you (with link):

"Richard Fox has evaded questions during the last 2 threads on NDE.

"Activating the angular gyrus creates reports of out-of-body experiences.

"This is directly observable and repetable.

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/triggers07.html

"Why aren't your NDE's merely activation of the angular gyrus?"

("Richard Fox has evaded questions during the last 2 threads on NDE," posted by "lulu," on "Recovery from Mormonism" bulletin board, 15 November 2011, at: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,342692,342736#msg-342736)

Here's a more detailed press account of the matter, after it was first reported in the scientific journal, "Nature":

"'Stress Cited in 'Out-of-Body' Claims'

"A study suggests the oft-reported sensation of leaving the body during a brush with death may have a simple explanation in the body itself.

"These 'out-of-body' and 'near-death' experiences--in which people resuscitated on the operating table speak of being drawn toward a brilliant light, or looking down on their own bodies--may be influenced by a portion of the brain misfiring under stress, the study suggests.

"The paper describes one patient's visions while she was being evaluated for epilepsy and does not wrestle with issues of the soul. And researchers noted that the brain-mapping results may not entirely explain the phenomenon.

"The study focuses on a processing center in the brain known as the angular gyrus, thought to play an important role in the way the brain analyzes sensory information to give us a perception of our own bodies. When it misfires, they speculate, the result can be visions of floating outside of ourselves. . . .

"'We do not fully understand the neurological mechanism that causes OBEs,' conceded the study's lead researcher, neurologist Dr. Olaf Blanke at the University Hospitals of Geneva and Lausanne in Switzerland.

"Skeptics of out-of-body experiences said the experiment goes a long way toward providing a scientific explanation for what some believe is a paranormal phenomenon, even if the study is based on only one patient.

"'It's another blow against those who believe that the mind and spirit are somehow separate from the brain,' said psychologist Michael Shermer, director of the Skeptic Society, which seeks to debunk alien abductions and other paranormal claims. 'In reality, all experience is derived from the brain.'

"Other researchers described the experiment as modest but interesting.

"Neurologist Dr. Bruce Greyson of the University of Virginia said the experiment does not necessarily prove that all out-of-body experiences are illusions.

"'We cannot assume from the fact that electrical stimulation of the brain can induce OBE-like illusions that all OBEs are therefore illusions,'' Greyson said.

"The Swiss researchers mapped the brain activity of a 43-year old woman who had been experiencing seizures for 11 years. They implanted electrodes to stimulate portions of her brain's right temporal lobe.

"The temporal lobe, which includes the angular gyrus structure, is associated with perception of sound, touch, memory and speech.

"Blanke suspects that the right angular gyrus integrates signals from the visual system, as well as information on touch and balance.

"'When electrical stimulation was applied, the patient reported seeing herself 'lying in bed, from above, but I only see my legs and lower trunk.'She also described herself as 'floating' near the ceiling.

"Millions of people have reported OBEs, but relatively few have been clinically analyzed.

"Last December [2001], the British medical journal 'Lancet' published a Dutch study in which 344 cardiac patients were resuscitated from clinical death. About 12 percent reported seeing light at the end of a tunnel, or speaking to dead relatives.

"Other researchers have suggested that OBEs occur as brain cells die from lack of oxygen, or when the brain releases pain-reducing chemicals called endorphins."

("Stress Cited in 'Out-of-Body' Claims," Associated Press, 19 September 2002, at: http://www.rickross.com/reference/general/general483.html

Finally, here is the actual article from "Nature" on the subject:

"'Stimulation of the Brain Can Lead to Out-of-Body Sensations'

"Activity in one region of the brain could explain out-of-body experiences. Researchers in Switzerland have triggered the phenomenon using electrodes.

"People describe out-of-body experiences as feeling that their consciousness becomes detached from their body, often floating above it. Because these lucid states are popularly linked to the paranormal, 'a lot of people are reluctant to talk about them,' says neurologist Olaf Blanke of Geneva University Hospital in Switzerland.

"Blanke found that electrically stimulating one brain region--the right angular gyrus--repeatedly triggers out-of-body experiences. Blanke and his team were using electrodes to excite the brain of a woman being treated for epilepsy.

"The right angular gyrus integrates visual information--the sight of your body''and information that creates the mind's representation of your body. This is based on balance and feedback from your limbs about their position in space.

"'It makes perfect sense,' agrees Peter Brugger of University Hospital, Zurich, in Switzerland, who studies the phenomenon. 'We have representations of our entire body that can be dissociated from our real body,' he says. But this is an isolated case, he points out.

"With gentle stimulation, the woman, who could speak during the operation, felt she was falling or growing lighter. As the intensity increased she told them: 'I see myself lying in bed, from above.'

"When asked to look at her raised arm, she thought it was coming to punch her. This observation suggests that 'alien hand syndrome'--when people feel that a limb is foreign--or 'phantom' limbs that people can feel after amputations could be related to out-of-body experiences, says Blanke.

"Weird science

"Out-of-body experiences are incredibly common, says clinical neurologist John Marshall of the Radcliffe Infirmary in Oxford, UK. Some are part of near-death experiences.

"Some believe that the events have religious or spiritual causes, or that a person really leaves their physical body behind. They may, for example, interpret them as evidence that the physical and spiritual body can separate again after death.

"The new experiments cannot disprove such ideas, says Marshall: 'It doesn't show that people with paranormal beliefs are wrong' --it simply demonstrates one way that the experience can be stimulated. Nevertheless, 'I think it would give great comfort to patients' who, he says, frequently question their own sanity.

"Thrill-seekers will be hard-pushed to artificially create their own out-of-body experiences, adds Brugger. 'You can't stimulate that precisely without opening up the skull,' he says.

"References: Blanke, O., Ortigue, S., Landis, T., Seeck, M. 'Stimulating Own-Body Perceptions.,' [in] 'Nature,' 419, 269 - 270, [2002]."

("Electrodes Trigger Out-of-Body Experience; Stimulating Brain Region Elicits Illusion Often Attributed to the Paranormal," by Helen Pearson, in "Nature," online version, 19 September 2002, at: http://www.nature.com/news/2002/020916/full/news020916-8.html)
_____

Your own little game of ignoring the empirical results of observable, replicatable science has been exposed, Richard.

If you want to continue to play, don't cheat.

Edited 19 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 06:44AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 11:23PM

It has been mentioned by myself and others in previous discussions about NDEs.

"...though, in wondering just why it's soo important for some people to lay down the law about NDEs."

I have no issue discussing NDEs. However, I do take issue with attributing NDEs to an undetectable entity or esoteric knowledge. If we one day prove that people who have these experiences do in fact recognize a connection or access a certain esoteric part of their soul, then I'll reverse my position. Until then, I shall remain skeptic of the claims and assertions made about NDEs.

It also has something to do with the messenger. You aren't exactly the most unbiased source when it comes to these things, as you've adopted the board as your hunting ground; your ammunition is New Age philosophy and mysticism, your game is the religiously unsure.

I'm just calling it as I see it.

Date: November 16, 2011 12:11AM

For a period a few decades ago I did work in a bookstore where I was able to read up a lot on "New Age" ideas, and I did observe several groups. But I don't think they understand the phenomena they revel in, and many times they debase the ideas according to their own desires. I have no "New Age" agenda.

Next, I write for a rather narrow range on the board--those who have shown themselves to me to be openminded and psychologically oriented (as I hope I am myself). That's not a general put-down, it's just the 'audience' who have responded favorably in the past. There is no restriction on responding to posts, and unfortunately what I write sometimes ticks off some others in predictable ways. I do not write for them. Nor do I aim to catch any impressionable or "religiously unsure" people (what exactly does that mean?). I just offer things that I find interesting for others to consider. If people can help expand my thinking, I appreciate this. And if someone is going to refute me, though, that person must 'speak my language'--there has to be some agreed upon common ground--otherwise things won't get through...same as in everyday conversation.

Date: November 16, 2011 12:14AM

. . . you declare, "If people can help expand my thinking, I appreciate this." But when others here then try to help you expand your thinking scientifically, you snap back in this very thread with, "I see you're playing the 'angular gyrus card,' and so you win the game."

("I see you're playing the 'angular gyrus," posted by Richard Fox, on "Recovery from Mormonism" bulletin board, 15 November 2011, 11:14 p.m., at: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,342859,342966#msg-342966)

Pardon me, but that hardly sounds "appreciative."

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 12:58AM by steve benson.

Date: November 16, 2011 03:08AM

and a (deliberate) decontextualization of a comment of mine to change its meaning. No, I don't appreciate that aspect of lulu's posts. But aside from that, if a person wants to help assure communication, he or she will show some understanding of where the other is coming from--in other words, acknowledge their view, even if not agreeing with it--in order for the "help" to be truly helpful.

Was "helpfulness" really intended? I didn't get that...

Date: November 16, 2011 05:40AM

You asked for help; you got it; but then you couldn't handle it.

Show a little gratitude the next time your thinking is expanded. :)

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 07:08AM by steve benson.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 01:15PM

"'We do not fully understand the neurological mechanism that causes OBEs,' conceded the study's lead researcher, neurologist Dr. Olaf Blanke at the University Hospitals of Geneva and Lausanne in Switzerland.

"The paper describes one patient's visions while she was being evaluated for epilepsy and does not wrestle with issues of the soul. And researchers noted that the brain-mapping results may not entirely explain the phenomenon.

and more:
"Neurologist Dr. Bruce Greyson of the University of Virginia said the experiment does not necessarily prove that all out-of-body experiences are illusions.

"'We cannot assume from the fact that electrical stimulation of the brain can induce OBE-like illusions that all OBEs are therefore illusions,'' Greyson said.

but it seems as though many here do espouse the idea that it is all Illusions. why is that?

to make myself clear again....... i dont "believe" one way or another so i have no agenda other than to have discourse of this subject.

also Ron(Tabula Rasa)..you believe that ALL people who report the OBE's/nde's are liars....that seems a bit harsh.... especially when this is considered:

"Millions of people have reported OBEs, but relatively few have been clinically analyzed.
do you really think that all of those people lied?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 01:17PM by bignevermo.

Date: November 16, 2011 01:17PM

Do you think that all those people lied?

Date: November 16, 2011 01:59PM

the point is...these people are reporting these experiences(obe/nde) whatever the cause... and Ron(whose opinion i usually like) says that every single one is lying. i dont believe that they all are.... that is dismissing their experience out of hand... as to the cause of nde's and obe's well that is being debated as we "speak".... the documentation of nde's and Obe's is there...the causality is in doubt.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 02:01PM by bignevermo.

Date: November 16, 2011 02:08PM

because many of them contradict each other. There is no logical reason why they can't all be wrong. We can only guess at the intentions of the claimants.

Claims of 'astral travel' have been made for centuries as well, up to the present day. They have included stories of trips to other planets in our solar system to hang out with various "ascended beings" and "space brothers".

These have been refuted by astronomy and our own visits to these planets.

Charles Tart has been trying to prove OBEs since the 1970s, without success.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091220214531AA2h87x

Date: November 16, 2011 02:16PM

nde/obe's the people are experiencing are real to them and they are not lying about them..they experience something.. but their conclusions of the causality may be wrong! at least thats how i read these items.:)

Date: November 16, 2011 02:18PM

The conflict in science over NDEs centers not on whether they happen but on what they are. It's accepted, based on various studies, that between 4% and 18% of people who are resuscitated after cardiac arrest have an NDE. Researchers tend to fall into one of two camps. The first argues that an NDE is a purely physiological phenomenon that occurs within an oxygen-starved brain. "There's nothing mysterious about NDEs," says Mark Mahowald, director of the Minnesota Regional Sleep Disorders Center. "Many people want it to be a religious, paranormal or supernatural phenomenon. The fact that NDEs can be explained scientifically detracts from the mystique."
The second camp is as adamant that no theory based purely on the workings of the brain can account for all elements of an NDE, and that we should consider the mind-bending possibility that consciousness can exist independent of a functioning brain, or at least that consciousness is more complex than we suppose. Though NDEs are driven in part by neurochemistry and psychology, says Auckland psychiatrist Karl Jansen, it has "underlying mechanisms in more mysterious realms that cannot currently be described."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1657919,00.html#ixzz1dtiQZW00

Date: November 16, 2011 02:23PM

which is only a couple of generations old. A lot of this study has been hampered by legal restrictions on research using hallucinogens, but fMRI studies and other approaches are making inroads.

It is a very interesting subject, but prone to all kinds of premature speculation. I see the current status of neuroscience as comparable to molecular genetics just prior to the sequencing of the human genome...we understand what a lot of the parts do, but how they work together will require a lot of data gathering and crunching before confident analysis can be made.

Leaping to metaphysical and occult models of consciousness is an abandonment of serious research. I think we have several centuries of experience to indicate that would be a bad idea.

Date: November 16, 2011 02:27PM

Of course, OBEs (and NDEs) vary from individual to individual, but reputable, credible, testable methodologies of brain science as understood and regularly implemented by neurobiologists, reliably place the observable origins of OBEs and NDES inside the living brain, not outside of the living brain. They are real experiences for the people who experience them, to be sure, but they are experiences generated by real intracranial biology and neurology.

If you insist on disputing that fact and have at your disposal possess peer-reviewed scientific evidence demonstrating that OBEs and NDEs occur via some form of disconnected human consciousness floating outside the human cranium free from the support structure of neural wiring, operating optical nerves and functioning brains, then, by all means, please cite it.

So far you haven't and I'm willing to bet you won't.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 02:44PM by steve benson.

Date: November 16, 2011 02:42PM

never said i would either... but the researchers have said:

and more:

but it seems as though many here do espouse the idea that it is all Illusions. why is that?

to make myself clear again....... i dont "believe" one way or another so i have no agenda other than to have discourse of this subject.

Date: November 16, 2011 02:43PM

Date: November 15, 2011 11:42PM

and then be puzzled that some should insist that your discussion deal adequately with the science of the human tongue?

And Bob, could we work on this syllogism?

1. "Everything we experience happens in our brain, everything."
2. Near Death Experiences are . . . wait for it . . . experiences.
3. There for NDE's happen in our brain.

Date: November 16, 2011 05:03AM

lulu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and then be puzzled that some should insist that
> your discussion deal adequately with the science
> of the human tongue?

No Mr. Foxe, inisting that if you are going to have a worthwhile discussion of NDE's you must include a discussion of the angular gyrus is NOT taking your statement out of context. It's placing it in context.

If you are going to discuss NDE's you need to be ready to discuss widely known (and in the age of google, easily obtainable) directly observable and repetable evidence about the NDE's, in this case the angular gyrus.

Has the Foxe gone back into his evasive hiding? Has the Foxe left the building?

And we're still waiting for Bob, Mr. LOL, to explain how something that happens solely within the brain is evidence for a consciousness OUTSIDE of the brain.

Perhaps he has returned to counseling his clients. Yikes!

Date: November 16, 2011 02:08PM

was stimulated.... "Skeptics of out-of-body experiences said the experiment goes a long way toward providing a scientific explanation for what some believe is a paranormal phenomenon, even if the study is based on only one patient.

(hell that sounds like a good sexual position)!! :)

Date: November 16, 2011 02:27PM

I bet that's a pick up line not often heard!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 11:47PM

//As with my own previous thread, Robertb's addressed the post-experience phenomenon of moral elevation. That's not easily disprovable, so those wanting to debunk NDEs as a whole divert onto other associated phenomena and respond about those. That is, they can't keep the present issue in focus.//

First you have to prove the moral elevation. What I saw was two POSSIBLE studies of dubious scientific merit. I didn't see an evaluation of the number of people experiencing NDEs or comparisons to their behavior pre- and post NDE.

FIRST you need to prove your claim, THEN people will consider disproving it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.