Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 08:55AM

I just saw on Facebook, that one of my TBM friends posted some little story about how Einstein was once asked how it felt to be the smartest man in the world. His reponse was, "I wouldn't know. Go ask James E. Talmage."

Yeah right. How would Einstein ever have heard of him anyway?

Has anybody else heard this FPR? Where did it come from?

Update:
Ahh, never mind. If I had bothered to google talmage and einstein, I would've seen that even the mormons don't believe this. Several websites of mormon rumors and urban legends say this simply never happened and that there is no evidence that they ever met. Even FAIR doesn't believe it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2011 09:08AM by duffy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 09:48AM

That's the kind of "pat ourselves on the back" FPR that Mormons love. Yes, it is totally phony, but the story has been around for ages. Remember in Mormonism it's not the evidence that counts, but how the story makes you FEEL.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 09:59AM

Hard to believe. Another insane claim

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 10:05AM

How do you measure smartness? What is smartness, really?

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 10:33AM

googled it.

there is a pro Mormon site with a link on it, and it de bunks the story declaring that it is a myth/ FPR ( just more of SO much LDS BS) but the RFM auto safe guards will not allow the actual posting of the link here

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 10:38AM

oh, and yes this FPR was common and oft repeated in former days. it was real in the sense that it was a lie that actually went around quite a lot.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 10:43AM

Years ago when I read Talmage's "Jesus the Christ," I was impressed with his knowledge of the OT/NT as it related to Jesus. And big words. But when he talked about Jesus's roles in the BofM, it turned silly and cartoonish. Heck, I gotta give BH Roberts more intellect than Talmage for that alone....

Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 11:15AM

mormons are stupid.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 11:46AM

...it Einstein could have been joking about Talmage's high opinion of himself, or about LDS acquaintances who kept bragging about Talmage. Such a joke would have gone right past most Mormons.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 12:21PM

Quote From Talmages Book 'Jesus The Christ'

p49

"The Nephites suffered extinction about 400AD, but the Lamanites lived on in their degraded course, and are today extant upon the land as the American Indians."

Quotes from Talmage's book Articles of Faith

p266

"The final struggles between Nephites and Lamanites were waged in the vicinity of Hill Cumorah in what is now the State of New York, resulting in the entire destruction of the Nephites, about 400AD."

p273

"With the plates Joseph Smith received from the angel other sacred treasures, including a breast-plate to which were attached the Urim and Thummim, called by the Nephites Interpretors; and by the use of these he was enabled to render the ancient records in our modern tongue. The details of the work of translation have not been authentically recorded beyond the statement that the translator examined the engraved characters by means of the sacred instruments and then dictated to the scribe the English sentences."

I read both these books by Talmage and concluded he was just another cult recruit idiot in an authoritive position who hadn't done any full and proper research or due dilligence.

Basically his religious books are not worth the paper he wrote on and wasted IMO.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 01:23PM

hey;

at least he Nailed It regarding the Lamanites!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.