Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: howdyya'll ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 06:03PM

Can anyone tell me why the local Stake center (in WA) decided to put up a nativity scene in front of the main road it sits on? I've never in my 30 years seen an LDS building with a nativity scene up, they are inviting visitors to go see it. Anyone else seen this yet this year? Is it another PR stunt? Or is this something that is done in other states and has been done for years and I just didn't know about it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 06:06PM

From what I can gather (without actually showing interest) is that some areas will put on a giant showing of all sorts of creche scenes in the gym. It is nothing but a "missionary opportunity".

Sales pitch.

And I ain't buying it!

The biggest one that I'm aware of is the Maple Valley area in Washington state.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2011 06:06PM by Levi.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 06:06PM

If Mormons are doing it, it's a PR stunt.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 06:10PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 06:09PM

I've lived in several different states. I have never seen that.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 06:17PM

Quite a few years back there were several international nativity scenes near Temple Square and the Church Office Building. I don't know if they still have them. There was always a nativity scene near the tabernacle too.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 06:28PM

April?

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 07:48PM

At Christmas time.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 06:29PM

Kirkland, WA does a nativity thing every year...

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 06:54PM

Was Joseph Smith holding the baby Jesus?

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 07:21PM

I would sure be tempted to tape an 8X10 glossy of Joe Smith over baby Jesus' face, or better yet, replace him with a nice big pile o' spaghetti with the two big meatball eyes........

Putting in a Raptor Jesus doll would be good too, but I don't they'd get it.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 08:17PM

the San Diego Temple, on the I-5 side, visible from the freeway and the La Jolla Village Square Shopping Center.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 08:22PM

I don't think it's valid anymore unless it's a scene based on Joseph Smith's cabin after he was born just before Christmas.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 09:56PM

http://www.salamandersociety.com/santa/

scroll about halfway down the page to see YBU's Joe Smith nativity scene.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 24, 2011 12:22AM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 09:05PM

They have one at temple square going back to my childhhod. We never hd one in the ward house while I was attending but that was in the late 60s. I have never seen any outside any of the local Mormon churches. I don't know about inside but I kind of doubt it.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 09:15PM

There has been a nativity scene made out of lights in front of the Toronto Temple for a few years now. I haven't driven by the temple but I'll check next time to see if they put it up this year again.

D

Posted by: Devorah ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 09:30PM

It won't be a real morg nativity scene until they include all of Joseph's other wives too.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 09:35PM

The stake I would be in if I hadn't resigned (YAY!) fills the building with nativity sets and invites the public every year. I never went while I was a member and certainly won't now, but it's clearly a Big Deal for the locals.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 10:21PM

I read some of the comments of which most said "too much time on your hands" and "I feel sad for you" neither of which are sincerely true observations. I liked this comment the best:

"Santa does exist!!! I saw him once when I went to a grove to pray as to what gift I should ask for at Christmas. He appeared to me in a pillar of light saying "Ho Ho Ho". - 01/22/2010 - frank

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 10:30PM

I live in the Hickory,N.C. stake and the branch I live in has had a Nativity scene in front of the church every year since it started. I don't think they are trying to make a special statement. Most of the churches in the area have much bigger scenes than the LDS.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: November 24, 2011 12:19AM

The DC temple has had a nativity scene outside the visitor center for at least 7 years, they do a living nativity in the evenings, too. Additionally, I could have sworn I saw a nativity scene at the Phoenix temple's christmas light recruitment activity or whatever their sanitized term for it is.

ETA: The DC temple visitor center has a mini nativity scenes from around the world exhibit too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2011 12:21AM by wittyname.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 24, 2011 12:32AM

Our stake is putting on an event on December 3rd inviting local non-Lds churches. It is to celebrate the life of Christ. This is the first time for us. Our ward Christmas party was cancelled.

Posted by: kmackie ( )
Date: November 24, 2011 09:33AM

Preston England Temple has had one for a good number of years,it is very tasteful and music is playing in the background,are they trying to put Christ into Christmas,just a pr stunt in my opinion.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 24, 2011 09:48AM

Just the usual bait and switch crap the Mormon church pulls on all potential coverts. Pretending to be so Christian, caring, helpful.

But the members get fleeced and tithing gets mentioned more often than Christ.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: November 24, 2011 10:01AM

It would be great if they showed a nativity scene and explained the following doctrines to Christians.

1. That little cute baby Jesus was created by God knocking on Mary's door one night and gettin it on with her.....really literally doing the nasty.....with his own child.....to create another god/child....that's him there in the nativity with Mary.

2. God went back to his planet Kolob after he was done having incest with his daughter Mary. He lives on that planet with his son. (remember that the god/baby jesus was created from that whole molestation of a minor thing).

3. God has a bunch of other wives and so does his son jesus that they live with on the planet kolob. They have lots of celestial sex with all of them so they can keep creating other planets.

4. We have a neat little ritual that ya'll can do in the temple with all us LDS folks.....so you can be a God or Goddess (one of many godesses - plural marriage in heaven ya know.).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2011 10:03AM by upsidedown.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 24, 2011 10:47AM

Does the LDS Nativity have Adam instead of Joseph?

Posted by: andyb ( )
Date: November 25, 2011 01:01AM

They do the same thing in Lethbridge, Alberta...and it's always a cold MF'er and I've never wasted my time going....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.