Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon Traitor ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:54PM

Yesterday, after sacrament meeting, the Bishop stopped me in the hallway and shook my hand. He held on to it for a while and looked me in the eyes and said in a soft, concerned voice, "Is there anything I can help you with?"
I kind of chuckled and responded with, "No, I don't think there's anything you can do for me."
He smiled and nodded and went on. What do you think that means?

I only go to sacrament meeting except when I have to teach EQ the second Sunday every month. I don't home teach. I don't pay tithing. And I regularly break the word of wisdom. I've only been to the temple once in my 15 years of membership. My wife is the same as me, but they put her in the RS presidency. She hates it, but we're both faking it for family. Anyway, one of the high priests that works at McDonalds saw me order a large sweet tea and a large mocha the other day. Do you think he ratted me out? For the last few years, my wife and I have pretty much gotten away with just showing up on Sundays and not doing anything else. We're never harrassed about tithing or doing our visiting and home teaching. We just don't do anything. I really don't care to go to please family as long as they don't bug me about doing stuff. Do you think they have decided to target me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gonzo ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:59PM

They are probably tired of not getting your tithing money and want to straighten you up.

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 08:00PM

I wouldn't suspect the McDonalds dude. He's probably just trying to seem inspired and concerned - like he has special powers.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 08:10PM

It's what active Mormons do best. Shoot, I've done it way back when. (And before you ask, yes, I am ashamed.)

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 08:11PM

they want MONEY!
just like so many other MORmON things its entirely backwards when he asks what he can do for you, because they really want you to start doing for them!

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 09:19PM

Absolutely. It's all about the money.

Posted by: emanon ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 08:33PM

DH and I are no longer members.
This past summer we were camping with my dad and his BP stopped by to visit at the campground, which isn't too far from town.
Intros with the BP and when it came time for my turn, he took my hand and said, "I've heard bad things about you. *pause* Just kidding."

I thought it was incredibly odd for him to say that to me but mormons can/do behave strangely.

I don't recall the number of times I've seen a BP look someone in the eye, shake their hand and either ask how they are doing or ask if there is anything they can help with. My point is -- it's either a coincidence or, the gossip train is chugging down the track.... and mormons are frequent riders. You never know what it may be. In any case, next time it happens, if you are curious, ask the BP directly what he may have heard or you could just say, "All is well, thanks for asking." and walk away.
What goes on in your life is none of his business anyway.

Posted by: Johnny ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 08:33PM

Of course they want your money. They're afraid that you're going to walk away from all of it one of these days and there goes your tithing along with you. They can't let that happen.

Posted by: Friend of a Mo ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 09:29PM

It sounds to me that he thinks he actually has magical powers and he can "see into your soul". What he's really doing is
trying to intimidate you. I think it's great you chuckled at him. I'm in agreement that your McDonalds buddy ratted you out.

Posted by: Dave ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:22PM

You wrote:

“Anyway, one of the high priests that works at McDonalds saw me order a large sweet tea and a large mocha the other day. Do you think he ratted me out?”

Doesn’t that sound just a little bit ridiculous to you?

Let’s see, a “high priest” (who probably should have been concentrating on the burgers he was flippin) sees you buying a buying a sweet tea and a mocha (OMG!!!!!) and you’re worried that he might have tattled on you?

I’ve never been Mormon, but have been around them forever, and have never been able to comprehend why otherwise intelligent people subject themselves to this totally bizarre whackiness.

If you don’t want to resign for familial considerations, why not just drift away and go inactive? Do you really want this kind of nonsense in your life?

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:30AM

This is my question too.

Why is a high priest, presumably age 45 plus, still working at McDonalds?

"My dream came true, I finally have a job where I can wear a paper hat!"

This guy would be very low on my list of people to worry about.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:50AM

You will probably find that he is looking to fill a calling.

I know I'm generalising here, but most Bishops that I have encountered are more worried about preventing work for themselves so try and get all the callings filled with people who can prevent crap from turning up at their office door. And I for one don't blame them. It's a crappy calling that is completely thankless.
Your tithing is of no benefit to him (unless he is a shareholder of Taubman) or the ward.
He either has (what he thinks are) your best interests at heart or he wants you to do something.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:24AM

I actually find it disgusting that anyone would deride someone for working at any company. With all the freeloaders in our society who don't work at all, I applaud everyone that works, even if in a position FAR below their qualifications.

Shame on you.

Ron

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:35AM

Amen, Ron!

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:41AM

You know what, you're right.
Chastisement accepted.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:43AM

rutabaga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know what, you're right.
> Chastisement accepted.

:D Been there, done that.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 03:43PM

rutabaga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know what, you're right.
> Chastisement accepted.

Good show, rutabaga! I respect you more for it!

Posted by: SilkROse (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:43AM

That simply need a job and the unemployment has run out. Someone that would work as opposed to sucking the government dry is decent in my book...regardless if that work is McDonald's or mopping the floors as a Janitor.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:40PM

Sounds like a guilt trip attempt. Maybe someone is guilt triping him??

Posted by: What is Wanted ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:55PM

Your bishop thinks he controls the force.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:56PM

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 02:20PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.