Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 01:32AM

Let's see . . . the little pieces of bread are emblems " . . . that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son . . ."

And . . . the tiny cups of water are " . . . to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son . . ."

Consuming emblems of flesh and blood?

Curious that I did that twice every Sunday for 30 years and never once did it occur to me I was replaying a faux cannibalism ritual.

Adj. 1. faux - not genuine or real; being an imitation of the genuine article;

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 01:43AM

The following year the whole family left the church.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 01:51AM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 05:33AM

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 05:38AM

"One of you is going to betray me tonight so EAT ME, EEEEEAT MEEEE!"

Timothy

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 10:00AM

I think it was Mary who said that. ;o))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2011 10:01AM by matt.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 05:39AM

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 07:04AM

Cannibalism goes with Zombie Jesus - just saying......

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 09:42AM

You've apparently never been to a Catholic service....Mormons don't hold a monoply on the consumption of "flesh and blood"

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 10:45AM

For Mormons and most Protestants the bread/water/wine are all symbols.

For Catholics, who believe in the doctrine of Transubstantiation, it becomes the real thing.

So yes, but we have worse in America.

Reminds me of the morning I woke up with this sudden breakthrough in my mind that maybe, just maybe, if you have a God who gives his own son over to be tortured and killed "for the salvation of all"--a good reason--maybe THAT sets a pattern that allows others to kill for a good reason--!!!

And maybe spilling blood, torturing innocents, cannibalism, chopping off limbs of children --even symbolic-- is not a good template for resolving wrongdoings. Religion! WTF!

How could the death of an innocent person 2000 years ago have connection WHATSOEVER to me being punished for what Adam did way back when-- or to me masturbating last night?

When I returned to a normal mind--the mind we were all born with-- these things obviously made no sense whatsoever and I was flabbergasted that I ever believed it!

I think I'll be a Buddhist-Unitarian and skip the gore.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Marcionite ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 11:29AM

Yep. Water/wine=blood. Bread=flesh. And the body is lying there on the table covered up by a burial cloth.

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: November 29, 2011 01:40AM

To Cabbie: actually, the eating of the flesh goes back to prehistoric times. Men would ritualistically eat the flesh of their prey, in order to gain insight, to help them in the hunt. They'd also wear the head of the animal, and dress in the skin, and re-enact the hunt.

Their "magic" was to learn more about the prey, to become one with the prey.

Eating the flesh and drinking the blood of the enemy was to show the enemy had been completely conquered.

[remainder of post deleted]

~VOW

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 29, 2011 01:54AM

I can't be too hard on myself about doing that. After all the sacrament bread was my first solid food. I was told what it meant before I could even form a word. by the time I could eat solid food and say a few words I had several years of indoctrination firmly planted in to my mind. a mind that had only been here on earth for about 36 months. I was well on my way to being molded, pounded, whipped, and threatened into a True believing mormon. One who was totally dependent upon the adults to feed,house, clothe, love, and take care of my every need. I didn't have the resources to question anything. I was kept in that bubble for as long as possible. And that is how it all starts. Your questions on the topic are inconsequential, and it will stay that way for the rest of your life. Unless you one day open your eyes And see that there are other options out there,

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.