Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonymous ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 12:20PM

And stay married?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Provo Girl ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 12:27PM

I have two siblings who married their high school sweethearts and nearly a qaurter of a century later having thriving families and marriages.

It doesn't work for everyone--but for some it does.

Having said that, I'm brainwashing my kids to wait til they are done with college and have worked a while--or at least wait on having kids until finished with college if they do marry young.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 12:30PM

my male parent did. He joined "THE" church to "seal" the deal.
yah he loved "THE" church too, and knew it was true! ....but not enough to go on a mission before he married his little MORmON sweetheart. Going on a mission? that was a job he left for me to do. Yah, I had a little MORmON girlfriend that I might have wanted to marry too, but I had to leave her behind to go on mission!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 12:32PM

under duress. Her mother had just passed away and she manipulated him into marrying her. Nine months to the day later, she left him. They had been together since 7th and 8th grade.

Posted by: Madeline ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 04:37AM

Is it possible that i would marry the boy i met in year 8 ? ive been in love with him since. im graduating year 12 now

Posted by: cskawi ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 01:08PM

My girlfriend and I have been together for over 5 years now. We met in our freshman year of high school and started dating our sophomore year. Now we are both at school together in our junior year of college. We haven't married yet mostly waiting on graduating college and starting medical school then we definitely have plans. She has been amazing and has been through everything with me and leaving the church and my tbm family. So hopefully in a few years ill be able to say I married my high school sweetheart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2011 01:10PM by cskawi.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 06:51PM

That's great. I wish you luck. :-D

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 01:13PM

She has a PhD in microbiology and he is a computer programmer for a big name company and they're both as in love today as they were when they married.

My great-uncle married his high school sweetheart. They were married over 70 years. She died and he died almost exactly a year later.

My son is also married to his high school sweetheart. They have three boys, the oldest is special needs. They have their arguments but they are both very devoted to each other. This year will be their 12 anniversery but so far it looks good for them in the long term. (Of course, he married a very, very special woman and I think he's pretty special too.)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 03:02PM

I googled my high school sweetheart the other day. He is now almost 60 and still lives with his mother. I think i dodged a bullet there.

Posted by: dclarkfan1 ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 03:23PM

It depends on the circumstances, mia.

In my case, my mother completely lost it after my grandmother died. A few months later, I lost my home (and my job) in a fire. Two months after that, I almost lost my life to Type II Diabetes, the damage it caused forced me to file for Disbility. A few months after that, my mother permanently injured her back trying to make Breakfast one morning.

I know many of you can't understand it, and never will most likely, but I am the only family my mother has, and vice versa.

My grandparents are gone, I have no brothers or sisters, my father split when I was 4 years old, my uncles don't care if my mother is alive or dead.

I had everything before the fire, and then had next to nothing after that. And what little I did have, I had to sell to pay my medical bills.

I don't live with my mother because I'm a lazy no good mama's boy. I live with her because I need her as much as she needs me.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 03:35PM

He's not there for altruistic reasons. He's a bum.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 07:35AM

dclarkfan1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> My grandparents are gone, I because I need
> her as much as she needs me.

I am so sorry for your misfortunes. what a dreadful sequence of events.

Posted by: peepstone ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 03:32PM

I did. We've been together close to 25 years; married for 18. I have a sister that did too and they have been married 30+ years. Maybe they have worked out so far since both of us married catholics.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 05:24PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 05:35PM

It's worked well.

On the other hand, our child is pushing 40 and happily, childlessly unmarried.

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 09:01PM

I did, but a bit differently. She sent me a dear john on my mission after we had dated for a couple of years. Fast forward 37 years, and we were both living in a different state, unknown to each other, and both divorced. She found a website from an art gallery where I had a display and called me. We were married 4 months later. That was 3 years ago. It's been one amazing re-connection. And we were no longer attached to the church either. :)

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 09:05PM

I met my ex wife while in high school, After I finished college we started dating. We married shortly after I joined the military. Had a good family and good life untill she got active in the mormons. then lost it all. I have chosen to remain single. very happy with my life.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: November 27, 2011 09:20PM

That was LDS high school and I think Mom's family moved into the same ward as Dad's family about that time. They were engaged for 7 years after dating off and on, and in the end married 64 years. I'd say they were happy until for some strange reason they were sucked out of inactivity just as I became a teenager. My recollection is that Mom was never happy with my Dad again. She wanted to be married to a bishop or stake president and he had lost too many years to achieve that. He was happy though, perhaps because if you got him alone he'd tell you the church was made up and a lie.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 04:59AM

We did, married almost 50 years. Had crazy sex today, luv luv luv...

Posted by: braq ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 07:20AM

Started dating the DW Senior year of High School and still going strong.

"Marriage keeps you together until you fall in love again". We have had our ups and downs, but, have had an outstanding life. Lived all over the US (I am in the Army), have 3 kids who are free to pursue life as their heart moves them, and am looking forward to several quite years as Grandma and Grandpa.

Best to all,

Merrill

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 10:09AM

me

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 10:12AM

Four couples in my high school class (in a virtually zero Mormon area) married and are still married. Two other couples knew each other in high school, but were not an "item" until college/grad school. So six couples total, out of a class size of 550-600, but two of the couples were not "going steady" until after high school.

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 02:26PM

Dh and I met in high school junior year English class. We married right after we graduated from college, 30 blissful years ago.

Of course, if my teenager told me she was going to marry somebody she is dating in high school, I'd have a fit.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 02:28PM

I wanted to but she refused to return my letters. Then she married Lee Majors and I knew it was over.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 02:30PM

Statistics say that approximately 32% of high school sweethearts marry because the girl gets pregnant.

Ron

Posted by: Geneticerror ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 03:13PM

I did! 21 years and counting. We were very young and she was NOT pregnant. We were just very much in love. We still are.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.