Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: chinoblanco ( )
Date: November 28, 2011 08:15AM

Check it out... the latest manifesto from the para-Mormon militia broadcasting on a pirate frequency from the Standard of Liberty bunker:

http://standardofliberty.org/janice54whatshappeningatbyu.html

"If you think BYU upholds traditional family values, think again. As alumni, parents of alumni, and active members of the LDS Church, we feel those who have invested in this institution deserve to know what’s going on at BYU."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2011 08:16AM by chinoblanco.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 28, 2011 08:40AM

Wow, they sound like the Westborough Baptist Church.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: November 28, 2011 08:45AM

unless dad beats him to it.

"Hi honey, I'm gay."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 07:59PM by Susan I/S.

Date: November 28, 2011 09:00AM

To quote a Facebook friend, quoting that ridiculous site:

My favorite quote on the whole site is this: "It's a sad fact that nobody brings you a casserole when you find out your son thinks he’s gay."

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: November 28, 2011 10:57AM

LOL - funny quote.

Almost every gay guy I know is now or has been involved in a supper club of some sort where there is a fair amount of competitive potlucking going on. The test of gayness will be if the son can whip up a better casserole than the ward ladies. I know I sure could even back when I was a teenager!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 28, 2011 10:33AM

The Church is trying to find ways to make up for the giant hole it blasted into its foot with the Prop 8 campaign. The Standard of Liberty folks are going to have to be cleaning up exploding heads all over the office when BYU enters a float in the Utah Pride Parade. :)

Don't think so? Give it 20 years.

Date: November 28, 2011 10:53AM

I give it ten, tops.

Remember how BYU ex'd Chad Hardy? Fast forward a few years and it's hard to tell the difference between what Chad was trying to accomplish and what the mormon.org "I'm a Mormon" campaign is (ostensibly) all about, e.g.:

KSL: "Mormons Exposed" calendars and "I'm a Mormon" campaign share similar goals:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=18254980

LDS HQ is so desperate for any semblance of diversity that this is what it's come to... if Chad had simply postponed graduation until this year, he wouldn't have been ex'd, he would've been honored by a big promo on mormon.org.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: November 28, 2011 10:56AM

That article reminds me that there's a hard node of irrationality at the core of many mormon communities.

That irrational approach to homosexuality and to women's rights is the real face of most LDS leaders as well.

The real face is sometimes obscured by a thin veil of tolerance, or by whitewashing rhetoric. But the real, simultaneously disapproving and leering face is always there.

BYU (and BYU's honor code) does not meet normal standards of tolerance for gay and lesbian students. But even a few baby steps in the direction of understanding, and in the direction of rational and fact based approaches, even those few steps send hardcore TBMs into a spittle-flecked ranting frenzy.

It's hard to see how real progress can be made when progress is called "soul killing."

Posted by: Gershonite ( )
Date: December 14, 2011 07:49PM

Of course you do realize that homosexuality could be eradicated if straight parents stopped having gay babies. These straight parents are the cause of the problem THEN they have the audacity to moan about it.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: November 28, 2011 11:04AM

Oh the irony
this voice of freedom is advocating that at an academic instition, there must be intolerance of certain ideas.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.