Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:29AM

Still supposed to be missionary events?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedrive ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:32AM

If you go to LDS.org they have Handbook 2 up right now for all to see. They are supposed to be moving it to a secure site in the next few weeks.

Look under "Service" and then "Serving in the Church" for more information.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:00PM

2006, Meetings, Funeral Services for Members:
Funeral addresses and music should balance tributes with teaching the gospel. Members of the
family are not required to speak at funerals.

2010, part 2 18.6.4:
Funerals provide an important opportunity to teach the gospel and testify of the plan of salvation. They also provide an opportunity to pay tribute to the deceased. However, such tributes should not dominate a funeral service. Having large numbers of people share tributes or memories can make a funeral too long and may be inappropriate for a Church service. If family members want an extended time to share such memories, they may consider doing so in a special family gathering, separate from the funeral service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 12:02PM by Heresy.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:07PM

ARGH!

"2010, part 2 18.6.4:
Funerals provide an important opportunity to teach the gospel and testify of the plan of salvation. They also provide an opportunity to pay tribute to the deceased. However, such tributes should not dominate a funeral service. Having large numbers of people share tributes or memories can make a funeral too long and may be inappropriate for a Church service. If family members want an extended time to share such memories, they may consider doing so in a special family gathering, separate from the funeral service."

THAT'S WHAT A FUNERAL SERVICE IS FOR! REMEMBERING THE DECEASED! IT'S NOT "inappropriate for a Church service." PROSELYTIZING IS INAPPROPRIATE FOR A FUNERAL SERVICE!!!!!

STUPID STUPID CULT!!

*Ahem* The next book of mormon I see I'm going to go all Hulk on it. Bite the cover off and rip the thing to shreds with my bare hands. A co-worker of mine's father just died, so this is particularly appalling to me. Appalling is too weak a word.

If I am cut off from speaking/mourning at my TBM parents' funerals, I am going to flip shit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 12:08PM by maria.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 02:37PM

Going Hulk on a BOM sounds like the best idea I've heard today.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 04:46PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:27PM

"If family members want an extended time to share such memories, they may consider doing so in a special family gathering..."

Yeah, like holding a real funeral instead of involving the Mormon church. Tributes to the deceased should not dominate a funeral service? That's just unreal.

Posted by: SaviorSelf ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:21PM

I live in Maryland and my three married TBM sisters live in Utah. It has been 11 years since I left Utah and in that time span I have not been visited by any of my sisters. So if they precede me in death I will send my condolences to the family but I WILL NOT travel to Utah to attend a Momo Church Service/Funeral. I am the only non-Mormon black sheep in the family. When I quit the Church 51 years ago I lost my family. What's done is done.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:32PM

Hissed my brother to the Bishop. He had taken an opportunity to just get up there and talk about mother. His eulogy was followed by 8 others by non-mormons, one of whom played her favourite music on a portable thingumyjig. By the time family and close friends had finished it was time to return to the village for the interment. When the cortege reached the village another tribute unfolded, which I have related previously here.

Mormons didn't show their good side at all on this day.

Briggy

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:43PM

Explains a lot.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:41PM

and making it all about THEM!!!

They are like a little narcissist child.

Actually if this is the case MONSON DOESN'T RUN THE CHURCH, and I will tell you why in another post.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 03:22PM

It also tells you to cremate your temple clothes.

The Church does not normally encourage cremation. However, if the body of an endowed member is being cremated, it should be dressed in temple clothing if possible.

Posted by: readhead ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 03:49PM

Funny, Since GBH was a close friend of my grandfather's and gave the Eulogy at his funeral. Chock full of memories about the guy, and I don't seem to recall him using it as a chance to do missionary work...

I met him and shook his hand that day; he was a sitting prophet at the time. Even though I was still TBM, I remember just being totally shocked that he was so small, and that meeting him was so totally lacking in "oomph". I thought a prophet would carry more gravitas or charisma or a sense of "the spirit" around him or something; he just seemed like a very nice old man.

Not that I expressed that thought to ANYONE at the time! Should have been my first clue that I was beginning to question, but it was years before I really faced my doubts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.