Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 02, 2011 08:01PM

December has arrived, and with it the inevitable calls for faithful Mormons to get themselves right with the Lord. Evidently getting onself right with the Lord means contributing 10% of one's income to a "church" that has poured billions of dollars into real estate investment, that has given less than ten dollars per member per year to charity, and that gives zero accountability for how its donated monies are spent.

This thread is devoted to giving alternatives for charitable donations. I'll get it rolling. Feel free to add your own favorite charities.

The Salvation Army -- Salvation Army officials have announced, via my local newspaper, that all proceeds collected from their kettle campaign will be used to provide food and Christmas gifts for over 1,200 needy local children. Any leftover funds will go to provide other programs and services. Financial statements for the Salvation Army are completely transparent and available online.

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf/vw-search/3F80BF21D8F61B7F8525743D0064057B?opendocument

Girl Scouts -- I was a member of the Girl Scouts for many years. This organization is devoted to empowering young women. Working at a Girl Scout sponsored summer camp, I taught inner city girls how to swim, and they got a chance to enjoy some carefree outdoor adventures and fresh air. I saw young teenage girls learn how to crew and skipper ocean-going sailboats. What a self-esteem builder!

The ASPCA -- my local affiliate animal shelter is a clean, organized, loving, and cheerful place. Every week they submit to our local newspaper profiles and photos of dogs and cats looking for loving homes. The staff and volunteers get to know these animals well, and the profiles give you a real sense of the animals' personalities, charming quirks, and temperments. The shelter always asks for donations of canned food, toys, blankets, leashes, and so on. I'm sure that any donated items would be put to good use.

Your local hospital -- My local community hospital is well-loved and a truly amazing place. My entire family has received the hospital's services at one time or another. I called the outpatient physical therapy service there to schedule my first sessions. The hospital's PT facility is a gorgeous, well-equiped, state of the art place. When I told the scheduler that I would have to learn how to walk again, she got a catch in her breath and then said, "I've seen miracles happen here." I'll bet that she has. Contributions to a local non-profit hospital could make miracles happen for many.

My proposal: If you are going to give money to charity, why give it to an organization that thinks that building shopping malls is a worthwhile use of its funds? Why not get the most bang for your buck?

What charities can you name that would put donations to a much better use than the Mormon church would?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 08:30PM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 02, 2011 08:07PM

Domestic abuse shelters top my list.

They have an especially difficult time getting donations because people are uncomfortable being reminded that this problem exists.

It doesn't have to be a cash donation. Hygenic items are always appreciated. Call and ask what sorts of items they most need and they gratefully will let you know!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 02, 2011 09:45PM

I agree, domestic violence shelters are a major charity I support, and one thing they always could use is clothing for both women and children, and items for babies.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: December 02, 2011 09:32PM

I know there's at least one other surfer on this board, so here's my favorite charity:

Surfaidinternational.org

They provide mosquito nets and educational programs to remote villages in Indonesia. It was founded by a surfer on vacation there 10 years ago who saw children dying from preventable diseases and decided to do something about it. The organization has also been a first responder in the natural disasters that plague the country.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: December 02, 2011 09:39PM

The company I used to work for supported the Philadelphia ARC (Assoc of Retarded Citizens). I presume there are similar groups across the country. ARC's clients came from all backgrounds and each Christmas, they sent us the names of the clients who had no family & lived in group homes or those whose families were very poor and would likely not have much of a Christmas.

a name tree was put up and we selected folks to buy gifts for. In addition, the owners got everyone on the ARC list a gift of clothing. Mid December, a group of employees would take the gifts to the ARC building and our delivery driver would dress as Santa. It was so heartwarming to see how much joy these gifts brought to those folks.

an added thought to domestic abuse shelters or homeless shelters for families - they are probably in need of toys or stuffed animals to comfort the kids.

I also second donations to animal shelters. When I was cleaning out mom's house, I took a bunch of towels to the local SPCA. That's something they can use as bedding in a pinch.

Dress for Success is a group that works with disadvantaged women to get them appropriate attire for job interviews. There are chapters in most states (not Utah) and around the world. donate suits or business dresses that you no longer need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 09:40PM by janebond462.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: December 02, 2011 11:11PM

Our favorite charities to donate to are Habitat for Humanity, The Carter Center, and to our colleges (NOT BYU) to help fund scholarships.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: December 02, 2011 11:12PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 02, 2011 11:14PM

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 12:16AM

work to free bile bears from bile farms where they live for DECADES welded in cages with plugs into their bile ducts. Horrific existence.

They also educate people about animal welfare and about ending cruel zoo acts in Asian zoos.

http://www.animalsasia.org/

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 12:20AM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 12:26AM

A local food bank
A local homeless shelter
A local AIDS foundation
A local "Free Clinic"
Toys for Tots (now that the Marines are over the gay thing)
Doctors without borders
American Red Cross blood donation

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 01:16PM

And I like the emphasis on "local".

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 12:47AM

Wounded Warriors, Paralyzed Vets of America and Disabled Vets of America...please remember these folks who are so less able to be out and about in a physical way like we can be.

Any animal shelter or group that cares for abandoned animals- after all the abuse so many of them suffer.

Diabetes Foundation, Am. Heart Association, Alzheimers and any Cancer Research Group.

My church and many others put names on a tree and we pick a name and buy like 40 dollars worth of clothes/toys for them. I usually spend more. I love that charity. We never get to see the child but know it is someone local.

I give to all of these charities and more. Some yrs. my donation is small but I don't care. Any amt. is appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2011 12:50AM by honestone.

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 01:03PM

Thanks, especially for the vets.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 01:20AM

When I lost my dog to cancer 12.5 years ago, I donated her food to a local animal shelter. Then I donated her toys and several collars and leashes to a local charity for the animals of homeless people.

Recently I bought puppy food for a puppy I was going to get, but I ended up not getting that puppy, and my new puppy does not eat that food. I could take it back to the store, but I'm going to donate it to a local pet food drive.

Your local food bank is another great place to donate either money or food.

Susan

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 01:51AM

Habitat for Humanity

Red Cross

Posted by: brokenwings ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 01:59AM

one of the best in my eyes/ thankful i have not had to go through this and my heart goes out to the children and parents that do......Saint Jude Childrens Research Hospital

http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f87d4c2a71fca210VgnVCM1000001e0215acRCRD

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 07:58AM

Yes, a great charity. Love that one and I do support it too.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 07:30AM

We give all our gently used items to the Disabled Veterans of America, instead of to the Mormon Deseret Industries, who sell the stuff to the needy, for a profit.

We like the Best Friends Sanctuary for animals in Kanab, UT. Our beloved dog came from there.

I work for a charity, which I won't mention, that does research on a rare disease with an unknown origin, and no cure, as yet. People volunteer on our suicide hotline, which gets extra busy at Christmas, and they helped us with the Christmas mailings last month. You can give of your time, if you don't have money to spare.

At Christmas, try "Sub for Santa." Our office does this every year, and we usually get a fairly large family. The children and adults have a wish list, and as a group, we can get them bicycles, coats, shoes, other clothing, pots and pans, towels, sheets, sometimes a bed, a couch, a reading lamp, a kitchen table and chairs, etc. Our planning meeting is Tuesday, at my house, and we make a party out of it, and we budget the wish lists, and add items, and give shopping assignments. Later in the month, We have a pizza party at the office, where we bring all the items, and gift wrap them, and leave them to be delivered on Christmas Day. We have our favorite movies and Christmas music playing on the computers, and we laugh and joke as we wrap, and we feel the Christmas spirit. The staff's spouses and friends and older children have joined in over the years, and this year we are doing two families! Not all families are chosen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2011 07:36AM by forestpal.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 03, 2011 12:48PM

Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. I have a relative with the disease. SIDS and SUDC. My nephew died of sudden unexplained death in childhood. Best friends animal Sanctuary, Catholic Community Serives, Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2011 12:56PM by bona dea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.