Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExmoMom ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 10:47PM

Whatever happened to "if the ox is in the mire?"

When I was growing up TBM, we knew Sundays were not for work or play, only for the deadly dull endless meetings and eating and sleeping.

I remember being taught that work was to be avoided, unless it was unavoidable or if someone was in need and then in those rare circumstances, it was permitted.

On three different occasions in a time of crisis, I needed help from my TBM relatives, and those crises just happened to fall on Sundays. It was refused on those days, specifically because of it being Sunday.

They don't realize that the circumstances were such that no othe roption was available for me. That pretty much severed our relationship afterwards. I realized that in a time of need, I could not turn to them, so why put myself through so much effort to stay in touch with people who say they love me but are so smug about when and how they will offer help...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr B. (Buzzard Bait) ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 11:29PM

Self Righteous TBMs are Programed into ridged actions and become incapable of the compassionate type of people that they should be. When help is needed, It is needed now whether it is Sunday or any other day! The ability to think by TBMS is retarded by the rigidity of the Code that they have adopted for themselves such that they cannot see the woods for the trees and think that Sunday is off limits to helping others. Christ was never that way. The leaders of his day wanted to ban healing of the sick on Sunday - well it continues ------

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 11:38PM

On the other hand, during the recent weather-related crisis in the Davis County area, in a lot of wards church was cancelled and everyone who was able was told to go out and clear up debris instead, so that the debris wouldn't become projectiles in the storm that was due Sunday night. So maybe the Momos ignore individual need on the Sabbath but in a crisis, they do have the common sense to cancel their meetings and get to work.

Posted by: ExmoMom ( )
Date: December 07, 2011 07:46AM

That's if it's something public, but offering or giving physical labour and help for a private individual is for some reason not done.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: December 07, 2011 02:22PM

Individuals can be "punished" by withholding favor. And they think no one will ever know how they put the apostate "in their place". Well, until fast Sunday when they can turn it into a testimonial triumph over evil by resisting the temptation to --what? Help a fellow or relative?

Yeah, so very christian, aren't some of them? I know these hypocrites too. And you may notice I didn't say ALL mormons.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 06, 2011 11:50PM

But my guess is that these people didn't agree with your assessment of what the "ox in the mire" was. Or they just didn't WANT to help and Sunday was their excuse.

I'm sorry your relatives have been unsupportive. It's too bad when people are more concerned following rules than helping their fellowman. As if their God would be opposed to service on Sunday.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: December 07, 2011 11:18AM

I find it very interesting that some of my TBM family don't see any problem with traveling on Sundays..driving and/or flying.
I've also seen exceptions to the rule about going to a restaurant when out of town/vacationing on Sundays.

I think they make up their rules as they go along.

I'd like to know a little more about your crisis situations.
Could you share a bit more?

K

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 07, 2011 11:24AM

First of all, they're so busy congratulating themselves that it never dawns on them that "God" commanded that the sabbath to be observed on Saturday. Secondly, they have NO CLUE how many religions DO observe a sabbath, many of them quite rigorously.

I do so enjoy that obvious level of stupidity and baseless self-congratulation all in one place.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 07, 2011 11:40AM

Maybe they would have found some excuse if you'd called on a Saturday. After all, you're an evil apostate.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 07, 2011 11:50AM

Maybe if the bishop or someone higher profile would have asked for help they would have given it. But to help you, a family member, no one would notice that or give them a brownie point.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.