Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 05:03PM

I was wondering if any one on this board has ever heard of this book, or have read it? I have and it was a real eye opener. I would recommend it, very good read. Its been a while since I read it, and I gave my copy away to open someone else's eyes, but I'd love to talk about it with others..

Here is the wiki on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Ceremonies:_A_Mormon_Woman's_Intimate_Diary_of_Marriage_and_Beyond

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2011 05:04PM by seamaiden.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 05:07PM

Thats one I haven't heard of, but would be interested to read. Sounds like the church put her through hell.

Date: December 10, 2011 05:12PM

@mia

If you can find it, Get it! really good read!! They really did a number on this poor woman...

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 05:20PM

I read "Secret Ceremonies" and liked it, but "Housewife to Heretic" by Sonia Johnson was one of the two books that was key to walking away from Mo-ism for me.

The lessons from "Secret Ceremonies" that stuck with me was the complete fabrication of the so-called "authority" that the so-called "priesthood" confers on it's male members (her first husband was a dunce and a boor) and how she hungered for an authentic life... and how ill-suited the "Plan of Happiness" the church pushed on it's members was for her.

Posted by: apikoros ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 04:38AM

Both books really impressed me - I read them both as I began my exit process - and I think that comparisons, in this case, truly are odious. Both women made the mistake of calling the Mormon church on its misogyny [and hypocrisy] and both women paid dearly. Both passed on lessons to me through their books, and for that I thank them gratefully.

I wish I had known Deborah Laake.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 05:25PM

I read "Secret Ceremonies" back when it first came out. Then I went in the Peace Corps and served with a Mormon couple who chastised me for reading it. They said it was full of lies. Years later, I married an exmo and read it aloud to him. He said it was not full of lies. Laake includes some pieces from the temple ceremonies and my husband finished some of the sentences as I read them... he was very familiar with it.

It's a good read, though a lot of it has to do with Deborah Laake's sexual frustration.

Date: December 10, 2011 05:27PM

I haven't heard of "Housewife to Heretic" I'm gonna have to go find a copy of that! yay, I'm glad I started this thread!! Thanks @I believed this once, years ago

LOL, Her husband really was a dunce, Sorry to say.

Posted by: Devorah ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 07:59PM

Thank you. I've made notes and will be putting these in my library.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 09:08PM

I still keep a copy of secret ceremonies in my house. I wish my mother would read it.

Date: December 10, 2011 09:30PM

I wish I kept my copy of it, would like to reread it. I found Housewife to Heretic on ebay, Can't wait til I get it!

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 12:42AM

I have the book.The first time I read it,I was shocked and so angry that someone would lie so much about the 'only true church' And that she would describe the temple ceremony. Horrible!!
Then I left the church and read it again. And yep,I believed every word she said.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 01:57AM

I read this book when I was still in the church but desperately wanting out. I hid it from my then-hubby, now ex as I was reading it. Deborah put into words so many things that I was feeling, and I give her credit for helping me get the courage to finally leave.

RIP Deborah Laake, and thank you.

Date: December 11, 2011 02:07AM

DebbiePA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RIP Deborah Laake, and thank you.

I didn't know she passed away, that so sad :(

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 02:13AM

Here's an obituary. I remember being really sad when she died. She was battling cancer for a while.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2000-02-10/news/in-memory-of-deborah-laake/

Date: December 11, 2011 02:15AM

I know she suffered with depression. With what she went though, its totally understandable.. She helped a lot of people!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.