Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 09:07AM

i get spikes of interest every now and then. i think it is fun for some reason =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 09:30AM

and I dont know why. I guess I love to know where my family came from before the US..why they moved, when they moved etc....who they were, what their names were etc. Now if only there were camera's to get faces...I'd be complete.

I don't "do" it...I just look through all the stuff that's already been done actually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 10:13AM by Thithter Thim.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 09:31AM

Erm, no...

The moment my Sister claimed she had linked our family with one of the polygamous wives of John Taylor (and was proud of that) I decided that knowing my Grandparents and parents was enough genealogical joy for me.

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 09:43AM

I have to confess I did like doing it. My family (the ones I don't know) intrigue me.
I haven't looked at it for a very long time but have kept all my info. I got rid of a lot of church stuff when I knew it was all lies, but my genealogy was about me, so I still have it.

I enjoy t.v. programmes showing family members being re-united after losing contact as children through no fault of their own and see the joy on their faces. I believe I will meet my family one day and am looking forward to that.

I don't regret all things about the morg. Sometimes it hit on good and useful things. I have taken with me those things I consider worthwhile.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 09:55AM

I'm still hooked. I have mine going back all the way to FSM.

Ron

Date: November 17, 2010 10:05AM

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 10:10AM

The Flying Spaghetti Monster, the one true god.

Date: November 17, 2010 10:42AM

Posted by: Apatheist ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 11:34AM

My ancestors have been in the church since it's conception. I've lost interest in those people because I can't figure them out. Sure wish I could ask them what JS was really like. However I am interested in the branches of my family tree that have been in America since the 1600s. Some good history there.

Besides it's always good to quench those family history rumors. I was told for years that I have Native American ancestry and I still have yet to see evidence of that. I guess someone was hoping for some Lamanite blood?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 11:36AM by Apatheist.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 12:00PM

I think mos like to fudge things sometimes in order to be "related" to certain individuals. I've found certain "descendants" of famous individuals in the records who actually have no blood ties at all...

Date: November 17, 2010 12:09PM

George Graham Vest. Google him. Interesting individual. I think I take after him.

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 12:25PM

I like to do it still. But then i like history. And with some Scottish ancestry and interest in things Scottish including Scotch, I am still interested in it.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 12:31PM

It's kind of interesting. I found I'm related to Grace Slick through our mothers lines. I actually got to talk with her at an art fair and she knew her geneology. We came from one of the families who came over on the Mayflower. Grace cracked me up when she said," Do you think those people left England because they wanted to leave or they had to? She said we are made to believe our ancestors were these great people but maybe in reality they were a bunch of misfits nobody wanted." LOL!

Date: November 17, 2010 12:33PM

"America got the boatload of Puritans, and Australia got the boatload of convicts. From what I've seen, I think the Aussies got the better end of the deal."

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 01:39AM

that we all know. No wonder the immigrants were pissed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOYvtSppA9M

These people were often of noble birth who'd probably been taxed out of their inheritance. If anyone has ancestors from these 'flower of England' victims they have nothing to feel shameful about as there were terrible injustices in those days.

I know my ancestry as I have a unique surname but that doesn't rule out the odd rogue here and there, along with the obvious self-serving crap perpetrated by most of them according to historical records.

Briggy

Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 01:20PM

My family - all nevermos - were into genealogy for years and years. I always thought it was very interesting to try to see how many family members I could "find".

It was actually my interest in genealogy that attracted me to mormonism since they claimed to have so much expertise in the subject.

I find that I've done a lot more research since I left the church than I ever did while I was in it. In the church it was all about name submission - which did not interest me. I have used some of their records and their libraries for my own research to satisfy my own curiosity.

A few years ago I found almost irrefutable proof that our family really is NOT descended from a famous American. The story that we were has been handed down for almost 200 years. Of course that was a blow - one that I have not shared with most of my relatives. But I am still interested in wondering who we ARE descended from.

The kind of genealogy that TBMs often brag about - being able to trace their roots to Adam - is pure hooey. Given the numbers of humans that existed on this planet for which no records were kept, it is highly unlikely that anybody can accurately trace their roots back more than about 500 years at the very most. I focus on trying to search each branch of the family back to the first one to come to America. That is difficult enough. I keep finding my dad's people hanging out in the same corner of South Carolina no matter how far back I manage to get. I've got good records back to the Amer revolution but then I hit a dead end on records for them. But where did they come from before that? Who knows?

Genealogy is a very popular pastime with a lot of senior citizens - mostly non-LDS - simply because it is a hobby that takes a lot of time and patience.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 10:24AM

We have a family bible that says we were descended from six brothers who were sons of a well-known southern landowner, fought in the Revolutionary war and collected land bounties. Our ancestor brother went west to Missouri eventually and his descendants joined the Mormons.

Well, as it turns out, DNA evidence show that we are not descended from the southern landowner and descendants of the brothers aren't even related to each other. Then we found that the land bounties were obtained illegally and the brothers all fled to different parts of the country. Three of them, including my ancestor, left the US. We now think that they weren't even brothers and just assumed these names in a scam to seem like residents of the state so they could get the land bounties. This is a respected family in the Mormon church, and we haven't had the heart to tell anyone. My cousin is 80, and I might wait until after he dies.

On the other hand, there's another family of coal miners I'm descended from that have pretty much been ignored. I started researching them and discovered they had been members of the musketeer guard at Hohenzollern castle where the Kings of Prussia lived. For real. This is the sort of thing you try to debunk in genealogy, but I have occupation records. I'm not going to tell anyone about that either, because no one will believe me.

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 02:02PM

i LIKE IT..i DO IT FROM IME TO TIME..i LIKE KNOWING WERE I CAME FROM.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 12:07AM

Seems like all the Mormons I knew of, boasted their linage to some connection to Robin Hood.....

but to answer your question... yes, I'm very interested in Genelogly. This new Mormon family software, allows for soundbites, photos....

Ironically my sound recording, will mention to future Luks, not to join the COJCLDS! I'm also hot on the trail of a book containing genological data of my family village in China. I seem to be the last entry actually, before it went missing with some unscripulous uncle who disappeared..... My little brother and half sister have not been recorded yet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 12:10AM by happycat.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 12:17AM

I love it. I'm kind of a history nerd though. I remember my Mom pestering me to submit the names to the temple because I was doing tons of genealogy but I would never get around to doing it.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 01:28AM

I do. I like history, and this is just an extension of that. The best part is when I find out something more than just the names - some little tidbit of information about their lives, or where they lived, etc.

Posted by: balaamsass ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 09:44AM

Still love it and still working on untangling all of the mistakes in my line produced by contributors who needed to be descended from famous people and the extraction programs that scrambled my family

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.