Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 12:25PM

I saw the other thread about the death of Kim Jong Il, and didn't want to hijack the thread on a tangent, hence this one.

Did anyone else see the video of North Koreans' weepy reactions to the news? Much of it looked contrived and overblown.

And so much of it reminded me of what happens among mormons when a "prophet" dies. There is much wailing, weeping and gnashing of teeth. Part of it is genuine, but a large portion of it also occurs because mormons know it is EXPECTED OF THEM.

North Koreans and Mormons have about the same amount of freedom over their own actions.

At least the mormons church no longer has the Danites to kill unbelievers...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 12:31PM

I think two things here.

1. For many it could be overwhelming (A bit like sacrament meeting when they speak about Joseph Smith etc).

2. For many it could be fear of arrest and deportation to work camps for them and all their family if they are not seen to react appropriately.(Kind of like faking it in Mormonism and keeping tight lipped through fear).

Either way it reminds me of Mormonism.

Even when ordinary North Koreans are helped by Western Doctors to get their eyesight back they praise the Dictator Kim Jong Il and give thanks to him.

In sacrament meeting Mormons give thanks to the cult for everything! lol

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 02:42PM

I noted the parallels too. And I just couldn't bring myself to watch the video with the weeping, carrying on, etc. It reminded me too much of the god-damn hanky-waving and staged showiness of the Hinckley funeral, along with the genuine grief of TBMs at the loss of their "leader". *shudder*

Posted by: saviorjoe ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 05:53PM

Yeah, they may think they have genuine affection for Kimmy, but I think the whole country just collectively got Stockholm syndrome and learned to associate the blatant worship of him with their well-being.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 05:55PM

I guess this is what happens when God dies.

Posted by: medgirl007 ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 10:58PM

I've watched a few of the videos...are we sure their not laughing? Sorta looks like it...lol

Posted by: tmtinfw ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 09:01AM

I think we can expect the populace of North Korea to quickly switch allegiance to the Great Successor Kim Jong Un in a similar fashion as TBMs quickly forgetting the recently deceased prophet and worshiping the new guy.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 10:47AM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 09:21AM

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 09:27AM

What creeps me out even more is how kim's father is still known as the "eternal leader." That whole country is a giant cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 09:38AM by archytas.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 12:24PM

have the two photos that were once posted here. One was of the celebration of Joseph Smith's birthday and the other was the North Korean celebration of Kim Jong Il's birthday. They looked so alike they could be interchangeable. I would love to see and save them again if anybody has them.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 12:27PM

North Korea is probably how Mormonism would have played out if JS had his wish and the entire United States became the Kingdom of God.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 06:33PM

The more I read about N. Korea, the more it looks like the same control freak, fear and retribution based ideology that the MORG is all about....

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 06:35PM

Also, very Orwellian....The truth is what we tell you it is...and to believe anything else will result in bad things for you.....to look elsewhere for knowledge is a mortal sin....

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:30AM

Mormons believe that all technology is invented through the power of the influence of the Holy Ghost for the benefit of the kingdom of God. It won't be long until one of them realizes that would include spy cameras and listening devices, probably implanted into your home by your friendly home teacher, while you were away bugging the homes of the people on your list.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 07:31PM

The DPRK also uses 'generational punishment' Up to three generations are punished for an alleged crime.

http://www.northkoreanow.org/the-crisis/north-koreas-gulags/

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 04:23AM

Mormons can't blame the morg or the leaders for their poverty and depression so they blame the "outside world."

Similarly, mishies and their parents blame nonmos because mishies feel lonely, rejected and abused.

Posted by: flash ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 10:00PM

Those who escape North Korea probably feel the same sense of relief that missionaries feel when their missions are finished and go home.

No feeling compares to being released from such repressive environments.

Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 11:16PM

The Mormon Church uses a lot of the same tactics that the communist party in certain governments uses. Indoctination, and "cult of personality" to name a few. When I joined and was presured into going on a mission, and saw what the MTC was like (got sent home on a medical release), my nevermo dad said I should have told them that if "I wanted this I would join the communist party and move to China where everyone thinks the same." I think that "the twelve" act like communist governments but think that the end justifies the mean. Food for thought.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:12AM

at the U of U football stadium? (I think it was there...)

That sooooo reminded me of North Korea it was scary.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:27AM

Quite a show - very public display...with officials watching.

I'm sure many thought it their duty to mourn in public with a large group of strangers. I think they could've done it standing up though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.