Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: girl incognito (not logged) ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 02:54AM

How many years of "No Thanks" to Garmies for Christmas until Mother catches on? I'm so non-confrontational. Yes, I am a grown woman and terrified of my mother still.

Anyone else have this "Christmas Tradition"?

I still remember my mother and father receiving them from my Grandparents for Christmas. As a kid I thought it was weird. If nothing else... I have learned that you should follow your instincts. Even children have better sense than most TBMs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 03:22AM

My exMo friend's daughter and son-in-law wanted temple clothes for Christmas. My friend said they were too expensive, so they said they also needed new garments. She told them no, so they said they wanted an "emergency food supply kit." That was more expensive than anything, but that's what she bought them. It is in a gigantic box too big to wrap and put under the tree.

This couple's 6-year-old daughter said that this Christmas was the most special Christmas, ever, because Christmas is on Sunday, and Grandma (a resigned ex-Mormon) is going to church with the whole family, to celebrate Christ's birthday. (Canned words)

I HAD to say, oh...my church has church meeting EVERY Christmas, even if Christmas isn't on Sunday.

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 07:56AM

Sadly, this was a normal gift my grandmother and my ex-mother in law both gave me for Christmas. The worst part, they gave every adult garmies, male and female. We opened gifts at a big family party. One at his family, one at my grandparents. Living in Utah, this was normal to me. I don't know if people still purchase other people's undies for Christmas gifts in Utah...but looking back on it, just bizarre.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 09:46AM

It never really occurred to me until I was out of the church that this was odd. For some mormons, it is the only time they get new garments. It really is such a pain to have to go to those d*mn stores and be quizzed just to buy underwear--have some lady go pick out your underwear (at least that is how they used to do it until the last few years). I remember like Susie talks about--my mother would order them from the JCP catalog.

During my really bad years--and I know I was supposedly supposed to take a hint--as I put on weight--my mother gave me a size larger every year and they were LARGE. I didn't want to return them (such fun) so I wore them out of necessity. They only stayed up because I put on pants after putting them on.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 10:55AM

We went up to a particular counter, asked for what we wanted, the clerk brought them out from the back.

I think we paid with a check, putting our Ward and Stake on the check. I don't think I needed a temple recommend either, but I could have forgotten.

I do recall, in the late 70's that we could order them by phone direct from Beehive Clothing Mills and they took...horrors...credit cards!

Generally we bought them later at the Church Distribution Centers near the temple in LA after that.

If you don't want garments as a gift, you'll probably have to be very clear: don't need any, don't buy any, I'll have to return them and it's too much trouble. Don't waste your money.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 05:54PM

My mother quit giving me garments many years back--but she also passed away 3 years ago, so I don't have to tell anyone not to buy them for me--but it was a regular thing in the entire family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 05:55PM by cl2.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 10:19AM

The clerk would ask for a temple recommend and bring out garmies from under the counter. She also handled layaway payments and helped with customer service questions.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 10:47AM

girl incognito (not logged) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How many years of "No Thanks" to Garmies for
> Christmas until Mother catches on? I'm so
> non-confrontational.

Am I reading this correctly? You, more than just once, have been given garmies, and turned them down and given them back to your Mom saying, "no thanks" and she still gets you them next year too!

If I am getting this right it's time to employ a new tactic. Get your Mom 2 presents and have them both wrapped and waiting. One is something you think she would love, and the other is a 12 pack of beer, or a coffee maker, or carton of Marlboros. Open your present first, and if it's garmies give her the "beer" gift. When she complains tell her "I find your gift equally as usless. Stop giving me gifts YOU want instead of what you think I would like to get, and I'll do the same for you".

If this is too confrontational then you can make little comments like "Sweet! You got me a shamzonie for Christmas, thanks Mom!" or "Spot will be so happy, we made a dog bead out of last years set".

I've said this before but, Mormons and Moms don't get hints. You have to TELL them, and then follow up with actions if you want them to hear you.

Posted by: Girl Incognito (not logged) ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 12:48PM

Every year, Ma asks if I need Garmies for Christmas. Every year I say, "No Thanks Ma, I'm good!" and she does something else. But I am still asked every year if I need them. TBM husband still says he wants them some years. Yes. My mother buys my husband's undies. ::Shudder::

By non-confrontational, I wish I could just say "Mother, the Mormon religion is not for me.". Maybe someday I will. But I am scared of the backlash. So I just go along with it. I did tell one of my inactive sisters, and I secretly hope she spills the beans for me!

I also had an experience similar to cl2's... every time I had a baby, mother happily took me down to the distribution center and got me ginormous new G's. Clearly the old ones would never fit again!

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 02:47PM

OK that helps. Try this. Instead of saying "No thanks mom, I'm good" which implies you don't have a problem with getting garmies, but you have enough already, say "Mom, Christmas gifts are special to me. I don't want you to spend a lot of money, but I want a gift that shows you have put in effort to understand me and know what like. I don't want socks or undewear or toilet paper or cash for Christmas. Sure those things are useful, but not thoughtful. The value of your gift is the thought you put into it, not what it costs you, or the money it saves me. I try to do the same with your gifts, sometimes I miss but I always try..."

You haven't trashed her religion, but have let her know you expect more from her.

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:01AM

I'm so grateful now that my MIL will send pjs--modest pjs but pjs nonetheless (usually for anniversaries too)..I thought that was weird, but garmies for Christmas takes the cake. Seriously people who wants underwear for Christmas and who is happy opening underwear in front of their entire family?

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:05AM

Need to clarify there, she's never given pjs for Christmas, but she has given them to both of us for our anniversary..I thought it weird, but whatever at least she recognized we were needing something to get in the mood, LOL.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 02:33PM

White Christmas

I opened my gifts, and to my surprise a bag of white undies of unknown size.

I sat there in wonder, how could he know? It's supposed to be secret, those undies of Joe.

I tore open the bag in a fit of glee. Oh dear God they are onesies! How do I pee?

Off to the bedroom to try on this thing. I looked in the mirror, I looked like a King!

Under my clothes, my bod they do hug. A wedgie they give me, but it's solved with a tug.

That eve at bedtime, I kept then on. Safe they will keep me, clear until dawn.

That morning my spouse was getting quite frisky. We whipped them things off! To do so was risky.

The party is over, the lamp shades askew, were those onesies really magic? I haven't a clue!

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 08:27PM

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 09:01PM

Merry Holidays
K

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:21PM

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 02:42PM

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 02:47PM

Ditto on the kids thing... DW and I were at my mom's house about a year ago for sunday dinner, and out of nowhere she decides to start in on a "family home evening" lesson of sorts. DW and I rolled our eyes and I started playing with my phone. Completely tuned out, the only thing I remember was that she was talking about the "still small voice" and she asked my 6 or 7 year old nephew if he had never heard holy the ghost talk to him. He said "no." Nothing more. Just a simple no and then his eyes wandered elsewhere. DW and I had trouble holding our laughter in. It was great.

Ahhh... memories.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 05:51PM

It's like a well-meaning husband giving his wife long underwear for Christmas because it's cold outside. Such romance.

Now, an item selected from Victoria's Secret, on the other hand--that would be something.

Posted by: wyoguy ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 08:32PM

So... some devout Mormons only buy new undies once a year? Do they do their laundry every single day?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 08:39PM

You her in the eye and say, "Mom I don't go to church, and I don't believe in the church. Ask your bishop, and he will tell you that under those circumstances, it would be a sin for me to wear your church's garments, according to your church's beliefs. I am not coming back. Why do you want me to sin against God? Is it because you also secretly believe that Mormonism is a big joke, but that it is more important to just go through the motions of belief?"

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 08:51PM

Give her something lacy and inappropriate and tell her you thought you were doing some sort of undie exchange.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 09:12PM

Christmas presents I received over the years:

Garments (one piece and two piece)
Temple clothes--full set
Scriptures--triple combination and the quad
Teachings of the Prophet JS
Spencer W. Kimball book--do not remember name
Defending the Faith by Millet-McKonkie
Mormon Doctrine
Gospel Doctrine by JFS
Mormon ties

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 22, 2011 11:00PM

following the list

1. they dress you
2. they teach you
3. they defend it
4. they indoctrinate you
5. then, they tie you up!

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: December 23, 2011 01:24AM

I like a little more support downstairs than garmies give. I tend to wander around if you know what I mean

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.