Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 10:58PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Friend of a Mo ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 11:04PM

I try to treat people the way I want to be treated. When I'm out and about I also try to do a "random act of kindness". Sounds cheesy but it's fun to see the expression on peoples face when you do something unexpected. It can be as small as letting someone go in front of you at the grocery store, or holding a door open or a simple smile. Never know when something so simple can change someone's day.

Date: December 24, 2011 11:10PM

One of the most memorable moments of my life is when I paid a 3.00 tab at Mcdonalds for a girl who had obvious mental disabilities. She turned around and gave me the most loving sincere hug I've ever had in my life. That moment has never left me.

Posted by: HooeyMinns ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 12:12AM

A guy in front of me in the checkout line one day was $.27 short on a 40 ouncer, so I paid it. I still don't know whether I was doing a good deed or enabling an alcoholic. No, he didn't hug me.

But in all seriousness, good for you.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 11:11PM

First of all because I'm thankfully not a sociopath. Second, I'm selfish: I get a lot of satisfaction making people happy. Third, it makes more sense than not being kind to others: being unkind may lead to some bodily harm or such! Again, I'm selfish in that respect.

Date: December 24, 2011 11:14PM

It it works, keep it up.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 24, 2011 11:54PM

Because I have had kind things done for and to me and I know how it made me feel.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 12:00AM

Because I'm an atheist and it confuses them. No agenda for going to Heaven and such, just out of the goodness of my heart.

I especially like helping animals, as they neither ask for a reason nor act like ingratiated fools. They accept my kindness for what it is - simple kindness - and get on with their lives.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 12:10AM

there seems to be a trend in society of people misinterpreting people's kindnesses. It's too bad that they just can't be accepted graciously.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 12:24AM

It hurts me to see others in pain, and it hurts me more to see people causing others pain either with intent or through neglect. I don't want to be the latter.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 12:27AM

cuz I'm a nice guy... ;)

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 01:47AM

It makes ME feel better.

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 10:28PM

rowan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It makes ME feel better.

Me too. I'm nice for completely selfish reasons. It just makes me feel better.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 02:22AM

While I usually don't care about getting recognized for doing nice things, would it be too much to ask for to have naked females throw themselves at me in gratitude once in a while?

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 02:26AM

Sociopaths hide behind religion to justify their actions, therefore the normal guilt that ordinary humans feel doesn't get to them.

Therefore, I suppose I'm a Humanist and anything that hurts another also hurts me because we are all connected.

Merry Christmas!

Briggy

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 02:46AM

Maybe selfish for me, too. Raised in an abusive TBM family, I've had very little love or kindness. In my loneliest times, I discovered that I could fill the immediate space around me with love and kindness--by giving it out. It can alter your world!

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 02:58AM

BECAUSE I CAN - SO I DO!

Posted by: momoney ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 03:01AM

Now that I know that the magic man near Kolob isn't there to do it, its a lot harder to sit back and watch people suffer. After leaving the church (and religion), I've done more charity work than I've ever done because I know if I don't do it...children WILL go without presents on Christmas, etc. I just like that I can make a real difference in peoples lives...its a win-win for everybody!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 03:02AM by momoney.

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 03:20AM

I am Santa Claus!

Among the many things for which I'm grateful this Christmas Eve, is that I have love in my heart! I have broken the cycle of abuse in my family. I try to help, instead of hinder. In fact, I can't NOT help, if I'm able. Yeah, it has to be in a small way, but it is better than not helping at all. Merry Christmas!

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: December 25, 2011 03:29AM

Because perhaps somewhere down the road they will do something kind for someone else.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 02:35AM

Many reasons
1) I get a selfish kick out of it.
2) I have been in need before and was grateful for whatever help I could get.
3) Jesus wants me to. "Whatever you did for the least of one of these brothers or sisters, you did for me."
Matt. 25:40

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 10:35PM

Is there some benefit from being unkind? Seems to me that there is more of a personal benefit for me if I am kind to other people than if I am unkind. If I am unkind to those around me I will soon find few people around me. Kindness and general politeness tend to garner the same in return. So if I want people to treat me well, I should treat them well. I don't need an old book to tell me that.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 26, 2011 11:59PM

And it's also an excuse to help adorable elderly ladies lifting heavy stuff.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.