Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 02:49PM

...incorrect doctrine/policy, which later (perhaps decades later) the doctrine was updated and conformed to what the professor had originally stated?

Anyone know of this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 03:50PM

Which occurred in the early 19th Century where three PhD's left the University after the executive in charge of church education hauled them up on charges. I can look up the particulars if you want; I'm pretty sure the "heavy's" name was Brimhall, and two of the professors who left were named Peterson.

Is that what you wanted, given that Peterson is reporting that BYU faculty are attending workshops on the teaching of the subject?

We can put the particulars here or I can e-mail you. I've posted it before, and the Signature Book site has the information. Or by "LDS doctrine," did you mean beliefs, interpretations, etc. of a more religious nature? That's an area I'm weak in (and not particularly inclined to acquire any in-depth education).

I remember four "BYU firings" off the top of my head. The one I mentioned, the "September Six," the dismissal of Steven Jones, and the recent one involving the instructor who defended gay rights in a letter to the newspaper. I'm sure there were others...

Dr. John W. Fitzgerald, the old principal at the elementary school a number of attended, was also excommunicated over the black priesthood issue around 1970. His degree was an EdD, with some of his education coming from BYU...

Posted by: Searching Truth ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 03:59PM

What were the circumstances regarding Steven Jones? He was my bishop while I was at BYU. Seemed like a nice guy...

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 04:33PM

He started publishing conspiracy theories about the WTC collapse after the 9/11 attacks, and apparently the church thought it made them look bad.

Jones was mixing Mormonism into his theories. I remember hearing a recording of a talk he did on the topic, for an off-campus church audience, in which he was using the term "Gadiantons" to describe the terrorists.

You can get an overview on Jones' wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_E._Jones

Date: December 28, 2011 04:47PM

No offense intended; it's just this topic can get out of hand...

Problem is there are a lot of whackjobs out there, even among ex-Mormons, and mentioning Jones and 9/11 conspiracies is close to off-topic, and there's no point in a big fight if the thread gets highjacked. I'm quite capable of whupping the ol' police intereceptor's weight in crazies, but it gets pretty messy. Go look at Chris Matthew's "Hardball" blogsite (archives, about last March or so) if this kind of stuff is to your taste.

Here you go...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/635160132/Y-professor-thinks-bombs-not-planes-toppled-WTC.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/21/AR2006102100635.html

Feel free to Google this stuff to your heart's content, but the guy has clearly gone over the edge. Some scientists with a sense of humor tried to figure the logistics of a "controlled demolition," and it was apparent it would've been impossible to place enough explosives to have accomplished the deed.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 06:32PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which occurred in the early 19th Century where
> three PhD's left the University after the
> executive in charge of church education hauled
> them up on charges. I can look up the particulars
> if you want; I'm pretty sure the "heavy's" name
> was Brimhall, and two of the professors who left
> were named Peterson.
>
> Is that what you wanted, given that Peterson is
> reporting that BYU faculty are attending workshops
> on the teaching of the subject?

Yes, the early 1900s evolution controversy would be good. (And yes, you guessed right, for Danny boy, though I probably won't use it lest I get banned.)

> Dr. John W. Fitzgerald, the old principal at the
> elementary school a number of attended, was also
> excommunicated over the black priesthood issue
> around 1970. His degree was an EdD, with some of
> his education coming from BYU...

That also sounds interesting. Thanks.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 07:04PM

Gail Houston for advocating praying to HM

http://www.mormonstruth.org/BYUcontrol.html

Posted by: spintobear ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 08:42PM

Carl Fuerstner around 1960. Because he was a single man, living with his mother. No evidence was ever shown that he was gay, but the assumption was made. He went to his grave never forgiving BYU for this.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 08:49PM

http://shawnlandis.suite101.com/mormon-intellectual-decline-a50392

Just google it!

It's all over the internet. Podcasts, websites, wikipedia, you name it.

Those people got screwed over by the hierarchy of the so-called "church."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2011 08:53PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 09:20PM

Did Martha Beck and her husband get fired?

Date: December 28, 2011 09:38PM

Martha details that in her book--and there are news reports of this event--and yet she's routinely accused of lying...

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 09:44PM

When I saw the news report on TV, I called them at their home and expressed my admiration for their courage. (I didn't know either of them at the time, but what they did set an example for me that helped me make my own decision to bolt the Cult later that same year).

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: December 28, 2011 10:04PM

I did read the book, but it's been awhile so couldn't remember. Thanks

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.