Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 07:28AM

Another thread asked the opposite, "So, would the LDS influence Romney to act on its behalf?"

I suggest that Romney will have much more of an influence on Mormon culture than Mo-ism influencing Romney due to the following possible scenarios.

1. Romney goes to extremes to distance himself from Mo-ism due to the political mine field created for him by association with this whacky cult.

2. When Romney makes his token stop over in Utah during the campaign/or when elected POTUS he does not make the "mandatory pit stop at 47 East South Temple" to visit with The First Presidency.

3. He does not accept invitations to speak at BYU.

4. Orrin Hatch does not endorse Romney publicly and they are not seen together to minimize the Mormon connection.

5. Romney nominates fewer LDS staffers, judges, ambassadors, politicos than any other U.S. president in history. He will nominate more gays and minorities than any other POTUS to compensate for his Mo-ism.

6. Romney will never personally attend a General Conference nor be seen watching one with his family at the White House. Especially a General Priesthood Session.

7. Romney will never go through the temple while President and if a family member is married in the temple while he is POTUS he'll have a helluva time explaining why non-members can not attend the wedding. LOL!

8. He will not be assigned home teachers and Ann, his wife will not be assigned visiting teachers, nor will they be called as such.

9. He will continue to keep his tithing and tax records a complete secret.

10. White house staff will be sworn to secrecy about the laundry of the royals' sacred temple garments. No, we won't see their garmies hanging from a clothes line in the back yard of the Whitehouse.

11. The First Presidency will suppress the glee that the body of the LDS members will feel at finally having one of their own as POTUS. Their will be no Ensign cover stories of Family Home Evening with the Romney's in the Whitehouse.

12. The LDS Pubic Relations department will be issued orders to appear as "normal as possible", "Let's not look so damn weird!"

13. If Boyd Packer become Mo-president while Romney is in office, Romney will be sure to stay at least two thousand miles away from him at all times.

14. New Order Mormons will begin to use the excuse "If the Romney's don't have to follow the Mormon rules, then why should we?"

15. Young Mormons will use the Romney influence to liberalize their Mormon lifestyle.

16. The First Presidency will become more like a First Pariah-dency with an influence diminished by a Romney stint in the Whitehouse as conversion numbers continue to decline and thousands continue to officially resign membership in the Morg each year.

17. The Romney presidential library will NOT be placed in Provo, Utah at BYU.

18. Ann Romney will not be on TV with Martha Stewart or Paula sharing Mormon homemaking skills or recipes.

I certainly can be wrong on all of these takes, but they are my hopes of what may happen inside of Morgdumb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 07:31AM by cricket.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 09:08AM

I can only hope your version could be what happens if Mittens wins.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 09:20AM

The Church of Jesus Christ of Normal Mainstream Jesus-worshipping Christians

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 02:44PM

I find myself nodding along with each point you make. It certainly will be interesting to see what happens if the Cult really does get a hold on the tigers tail.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 05:39PM

> 4. Orrin Hatch does not endorse Romney publicly and they are not seen together to minimize the Mormon connection.

Jealousy?

On another note, Orrin was made head-cheese-head of tax-exempt matters on the finances committee. Just in time for the LDS scandals raging over recall of its tax exemption over its propH8 actions.

If Mitt wins, I imagine he'll grease skids at the least by appointing those who will nix such investigations at the IRS/Justice.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 08:23PM

I read that Romney goes to church every Sunday and that it was not released which ward he attended while he was in Iowa. I wonder if anybody has any more info on this.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 10:59PM

>12. The LDS Pubic Relations department will be issued orders to appear as "normal as possible", "Let's not look so damn weird!"

Although the Pubic Relations department would have been a much better fit during the time of JS or BY.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 11:18PM

...and Obama will be re-elected?

Posted by: sawthelite ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 12:14AM

This is the question I have been asking myself for days.
Since Romney won the Iowa caucus.I am praying he will not be elected POTUS.
What a sneaky and convenient way for the mormon cult to get their hands on unsuspecting Americans.
BTW, I was one of those unsuspecting Americans 32 years ago.But I also was wiser than they thought.I left that cult after only a few months.But, unfortunately, my only daughter, is still involved along with her seven children.

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 04:17PM

I wonder if the media would become Mormon savvy and point out the fact that Romney is one generation away from his polygamous family who emigrated to Mexico to escape the US restrictions. Doesn't he have a lot of cousins or something?

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 11:43AM

Chances are most of your points are pure fantasy.

A couple of them may occcur, but Mormons are way too excited about sharing their "Gospel" with others and would use and abuse opportunities having a Morgbot in the Oval Office.

One example - Youth DC temple trips. They'll get a chance to line up and meet the Prez, I'm sure of it.

The Romneyw will go to local Mormon services and the Temple, and our taxpayer dollars will go toward secret service accompanything them there and back.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 11:59AM

One thing is certain - the First Presidency will want access to Romney more than Romney will want access to the First Presidency.

Romney doesn't need them. He is a successful businessman first, and a Mormon second. A year from now he will (possibly) be POTUS first and a Mormon second. He might believe that God helped him win, and be grateful to be a member of the ONE TRUE CHURCH, but he won't want his Mormonism to be an aspect of his Presidency anymore than it was an aspect of his business success (beyond giving him easy access to other successful Mormon business leaders).

If the LDS Church, either through it's PR department or the First Presidency directly, try to influence Romney's Presidency, it will certainly piss him off. If the media learn about any meetings between them, it will piss him off. If voters believe Romney is being influenced by the Church, it will piss them off and make them not want to vote for him again.

If Romney does influence the LDS church (more likely that vice versa) it will likely be indirectly, rather than as a result of any agreement between them. I suspect Romney will do his best to distance himself from the LDS church leadership, prefering to appear a "normal" LDS church member.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 10:38AM

"If the LDS Church, either through it's PR department or the First Presidency directly, try to influence Romney's Presidency, it will certainly piss him off."

The most pernicious forms of influence are wielded with a wink, a nod, a wisper, an oblique phone conversation, etc. Very little, if any, overt proof is left lying around to be discovered.

Mormon apologists will sometimes demand "proof" of any interference between TSCC and the Utah state government, as if somebody had filled out in triplicate a "Request to Influence Government" form.

Romney is certified mormon royalty, so his mixed loyalties (should he reside in the Oval Office) are of genuine concern.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2012 10:41AM by 3X.

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 11:54AM

He has most certainly acted in ways that to the general public are inconsistent: the most common example given is his support/no support for LGBT civil rights when he was running for office in MA compared to his "OK this has gone far enough" attitude when it came to him having to implementing marriage equality while he was governor. You had better believe he was stalling & obfuscating due to fresh orders from SLC.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: January 07, 2012 12:22PM

I predict that Romney will indeed become the Republican candidate. Mormons will all be buying fresh garmies.

The craven media will not go after mormonism and the totally effed up weirdness it represents because they are the craven media. It's politically incorrect to even talk about a person's religion, let alone to air its dirty garmies in the full light of day.

First, we would have to get rid of the idea that is is somehow impolite to bring to religion the same scrutiny we bring to everything else. There's probably not enough time in the schedule to accomplish that sea change.

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: January 09, 2012 01:10PM

If he is elected he will not be allowed to make his religion or beliefs interfere with the office any more than any other president.

When you have reached that office, you have already sold out to the people who paid to get you in there.

The social issues on each side in my opinion are just a way to keep the tax paying citizens from asking for a balance sheet on where there hard earned money is going.

We have social civil war in the country. A nation divided is easy to fleece.
So in my world it isn't going to matter what the religion of the candidate is. If a candidate truly stands on real issues he doesn't stand a chance in hell getting elected. Politics and the office is the religion.

Kind of reminds me of musical chairs.

Just how I see it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.