Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 02:24PM

I dated my husband for 1 month and then we got engaged. We were married 9 months later (long engagement for Mormon standards) and are about to celebrate 13 years.

How fast was your experience?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 02:29PM

We knew each other 6 months before we got married. We were both in our 30's and non members. still married 21 years later.

Posted by: sandie ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 02:34PM

Met and married in two months. Still married 28 years later.

Posted by: julianna ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 02:35PM

19 days from 1st meeting to getting engaged. Married after 7 week engagement. Will celebrate 36th anniversary in the spring!

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 02:42PM

Met and married in 6 months. About to celebrate our 10 yr pretty soon. I got seriously lucky.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 02:47PM

23rd anniversary celebrated last month.

Posted by: jackol ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 02:48PM

Question for all of you that met and married quickly, what was it that made you realize you wanted to marry this person?

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 02:52PM

My brother's wife moved into our home ward in high school, but he never had a conversation with her. When he was on his mission, she got engaged, and then dumped. When my brother returned from his mission and was released in Salt Lake, our Salt Lake grandparents let him use their fancy car for a date. He called his old high school girlfriend at BYU, but she was busy, so he called his future wife at BYU, and she agreed to go. I don't remember what they did, but they were out all night, and the next morning, they were in front of a jewelry store, waiting for it to open, to buy an engagement ring with his leftover mission money.

They got engaged on their first date. They got married in the temple 6 months later, but were in separate states during the engagement period. She turned out to be a phony gold-digger, with a nasty jealous disposition, and a horrible temper. My brother was too big of a wuss to get divorced. She dominated our whole family. My brother became depressed. Their only child is born con-man and a thief.

Young men are too easily influenced by sex. Wise parents should make them wait until they are older, before they seal themselves for eternity. Not only will the couples suffer, but the parents will suffer.

Heather was lucky, against the odds.
Mia was older, so the odds were on her side.

I dated my husband off and on for 5 years, then we broke up for two years, then we were engaged for two years. Our marriage lasted for 15 years.

Posted by: Utahorbust ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 03:08PM

Met my husband and we were married 5 weeks later. We are both nevermo. It just clicked and we knew we were meant to be. Of course we were both in our mid 30's when we married. Makes a big difference to be a grown adult when making a decision like this.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 03:24PM

Knew my wife for 5 months prior to first date. Dated 6 months, engaged 11 (eternity at BYU). Married 28 years.

Neighbor's daughter went from first date to married in less than 4 weeks. Still living in the parent's basement.

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 03:57PM

DH and I dated for 9 months before we were married, however we knew each other for 5 months before our first date.I just would not talk to him for 5 months because I thought he was a jerk. Turns out he is a super guy, who has no filter when it comes to opening his mouth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 03:58PM by eldorado.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 04:44PM

I've got a good story on this one - may be the record.

In my mission when I was Zone Leader I would go on splits with the District Leader. This guy was so uber-revelation-spiritual he would drive me nuts. We'd go out on our bikes and at every intersection he would pause to get a revelation on which way we should turn to be lead to the person to convert.

I ran into him a couple years later and found out he was engaged. They were engaged 3 days after they met because that's all it took for him to get the revelation they were supposed to be married. I don't remember for sure but I believe they planned to be married within 2 weeks of meeting.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 04:46PM

I know a Mormon couple where the time between meeting for the very first tine and marriage was six weeks. I am pleased to report that they are still happily married several children later.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 04:47PM

We felt pretty good about that, but boy howdy did it stress people out.

His sister recently got married after knowing a guy for a few weeks. They decided to get married on their second date. I was surprised and relieved to hear that his TBM family found it nearly as disturbing as we did.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 04:56PM

My parents got engaged two weeks after they met.

My mom kept getting cold feet and pushing off the wedding, though, so they were engaged for 18 months.

Almost forty years later, they still seem pretty happy about it.

The funny part was that my aunt recently mentioned she thought they "had" to get married because they didn't marry in the temple. My mom pointed out that not only were they engaged for 18 months, but their first child was born over a year after the wedding. Some people can find a scandal anywhere.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 05:23PM

One Woman in my ward was engaged in less than a week , married one week later, divorce started 6 weeks after that.

My Mom and stepdad met, and married within 3 weeks. Still married when she died 20 years later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 05:24PM by nomilk.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 05:29PM

I watched some "romance-engagement-marriage" events at Ricks back in the 60's that moved at lightspeed. The "romance" part was actually more like stalking on the part of the girls who had been instructed by their Mom's to snag an RM, marry him and breed ASAP.
I know of several that crashed and burned before children showed up...good thing...and others that were the opposite of happy...

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 06:36PM

Five months before we got married, been together 12 years now. And we were not going to church when we met or got married.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 06:50PM

I met DH in June but he didn't ask me out til November. We dated 32 days before he asked me to marry him. Then we got married on his Spring Break the next March. My parents told everyone we'd been dating since June because they thought their non-LDS friends would think we were crazy. Of course, we were but we've been driving each other crazy for 17 years this March so I suppose we did something right.

I was living in Salt Lake with two other Mormon girls - one a recent BYU grad and the other a recent RM at the time of my engagement. The first one dated her boyfriend 6 weeks and got married 4 months later. The RM dated her boyfriend 2 weeks and got married 3 months later. We were all engaged and planning our weddings at the same time - they were all within a few weeks of each other.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 07:10PM

Met on the internet, first date lasted four days, exchanged I love yous at three weeks, engaged at ten weeks, married at 15 weeks from that phenomenal first date. :)
Five and a half years along, still in bliss! We have worked together two cubes apart for the last four years. That's right, we live, sleep, commute, work, and everything but s#!t together. (And I think he'd be comfortable with that too, but I had to draw a line somewhere!)

Luck has nothing to do with our success. Both of us had spent time single establishing ourselves and getting our heads on straight.
Hard work and similar interests and personalities weigh much more into successful results.

If you go into marriage thinking you'll succeed against "the odds", reality will give you a smack down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 07:12PM by WinksWinks.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 08:08PM

Met hubby in a physics class. Engaged next day. Married in 3 months.

Married 35 years although we are a little unconventional.

If my daughter had done something that stupid I would be mortified.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 08:54PM

Posted by: jf ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 10:11PM

dated for 14 months
engaged for 10 months
married (temple) for 17 years
divorced for 4 years

Posted by: jf ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 10:13PM

I should add that TSCC does not recognize that I am divorced, as my stake president likes to remind me that I am still sealed to my ex.

Posted by: sistermary ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 10:39PM

Knew hubby and dated some before his mission. Wrote a little during mission but dated other guys hoping to get married sooner than the 2 years I'd have to wait. But to no avail. So got engaged 5 days after mission ended (telling everyone I had waited for my RM). Married 3 months later. Divorced 12 years later. (11.9 years too late).

Posted by: sistermary ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 10:40PM

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 10:44PM

DH and I met and got engaged 6 months later (we're nevermo). Married after 4 months of engagement and 3 weeks of classes through the Catholic Church (family of origin, anyone?). Married, 32 years.

Younger sister met and got engaged to an RM after 6 months. Married after an engagement of 2 1/2 weeks.

Divorced after 5 kids and 16 years of marriage.

I don't think it's about the length of time being engaged or even having been acquainted. I honestly believe it's about having been in a class that said 'what do you think marriage is really about'? and similar questions.

Thank God (or blind luck if you're atheist) for pre-marital preparation classes! They really did help get issues like money, kids, in-laws, and who would talk to whom about what on the table!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 10:45PM by nwmcare.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 05, 2012 11:28PM

27 years ago we dated for almost two months before we tied the knot, and we still hold hands when we are out. She was a nonmember and I was inactive.

Posted by: narwhal bacon ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 01:24AM

Met at BYU. Both RMs. Dated for 5 days, engaged for 3 months, still married after 12 years. Oh, and we've both been exmos for about 7 years now.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 02:08AM

Friend of mine was going to BYU on an academic scholarship, studying microbiology, was waiting for missionary. Met older RM at Thanksgiving, engaged at Christmas, married in March. Needless to say, she gave up her scholarship, moved to some podunk village in central Utard to raise goats and have her many babies at home. Still married as far as I know for 25 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2012 02:09AM by possiblypagan.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 06:41AM

Dated for 6 months after my mission before getting engaged.
6 month engagement.
Now married for 22 years.
But we grew up in the same ward so we knew each other for ten years before we started dating.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 11:47AM

during Christmas break. They were either engaged or married by the time school started in January. (Been too long for me to remember).

I don't know how it all worked out. They seemed happy, as most newly engaged/marrieds do. But it kind a freaked me out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.