Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 09:17PM

My Grandpa bought me a truck a few years back, it isn't pretty, runs OK, but it was his gift to me.

Around Easter my girls walked in and said, "Dad, someone hit your truck..."

I didn't think much about it, walked out the next morning and holy moly, someone caved in the side panel behind the driver's door.

So, I called the sheriff, he came out, said "Holy moly whoever did this tagged it..."

They checked garbage trucks, the power company, etc. Nothing for six months.

One evening a family showed up in our yard. The husband is in the high council. "We just found out our daughter hit your truck with the 4 wheeler..." (How she lived after the collision I'll never know.) They claimed it didn't damage their 4 wheeler etc.

So, they told me to get a quote. (Understand, I can promise you, had one of my children done something like this I would have gone to any extreme to make it right...)

So, I went to 3-4 collision repair centers and got a variety of quotes, ranging from under $2000 to a little over a $1000) "To high...We know a guy who can do it..." I said fine, have him come over and get a quote.

That was three months ago, I have not seen, nor heard from them.

I'm getting p!$$ed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 09:22PM

Time to involve a lawyer, methinks.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 09:41PM

No lawyer - the damages are not high enough. Do it yourself in small claims court. No lawyers allowed. And don't wait...

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 09:22PM

Mormons are fine with morality. Money? Well, that's a whole 'nother topic.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 09:42PM

Get your insurance company involved and stay on their backs until they light a fire under these guys.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 09:47PM

+1
File a claim with your insurance company. Regardless of what you have heard, the statute of limitations is likely not up. Give them all the information on the girl who hit your car, have it filed as a hit-and-run. You nay have to pay your deductible, depending on your insurance agreement, but the girl's insurance will then be subrogated for the damages and the deductible will likely be returned to you.

Date: January 06, 2012 09:55PM

If the girl has insurance, your company will go after hers and the first money they get will be yours. It doesn't sound if there is any doubt that she was to blame so it shouldn't be a problem. If they are uninsured, sue them. Sounds like they have money.I might give them one last call and tell them they have X amount of time to make it right or you will take action. Likely they are afraid of their rates going up if the insurance pays. That is not your problem. If they want to handle it privately, they need to pay up and soon.You could als say you intend to report their daughter for leaving the scene.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 10:26PM

Go ahead and report the daughter for fleeing to the police. Why haven't you already if they are not paying? No one is above the law, and likely since she is a minor she won't go to jail, but will instead get booked and released with a court date that will go away if the parents pay up before then.

There may be issues with their insurance company paying out for a client who hit and ran.

Date: January 06, 2012 10:30PM

In the future, inform you insurance company any time there is an accident regardless of who is at fault or regardless if they want to handle it privately. If it is anything major, I would also call the police immediately even if no one is injured. I have collected when the police haven't been involved but the odds go up if they are. If the other driver is ticketed, it makes it hard to change the story and claim it was all your fault..

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: January 06, 2012 10:31PM

All you have is their word that their daughter hit your truck. No damage to the four wheeler. They can deny, deny, deny. It's up to you to prove she did the deed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.