Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 10:32PM

I got the following e-mail today. In a way, it's another response to Cludgie's closed thread "Are we RfMers doing our job?" (I have omitted the signature)

==========
Dear Mr. Packham,

I owe you an apology. Several years ago when I was about 14 or 15, I distinctly remember writing you an e-mail about how you
were defaming the Church that I thought I believed in. We had a very small discourse, so I don't expect you to remember me.
I was rude, childish (but I blame much of that on me be a young age ;) ) and should not have said some of the things I did to you.
I would like to apologize for what I said and hope that you'll understand my naivete led me to do some foolish things and say things
that shouldn't have been said.

Even though, at the time, I claimed to be a member of the LDS Church, I think deep-down inside I wasn't, and I knew it and your page
just stirred things in me that I didn't want disturbed at that time. Over the past 10 years I've come to a healthy realization and place
to be able to say that I am no longer part of the LDS Church and that I no longer practice or believe it. I think our little discussion years
ago did help that in a roundabout way.

So, in short, I wanted to say thank you.
[name deleted]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 10:36PM

What a mail!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 10:39PM

To that person and to you, I say, "Well done."

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 10:39PM

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 10:40PM

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 10:46PM

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 10:48PM

Hopefully you get more appreciation letters than hate mail.

Your work is fantastic.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:03PM

That for every one person that rights a letter, there are several more that feel the same way but never bother to write about it. This is probably just one of many people your website and your insights have helped. Congratulations.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:26PM

I would say your discussion and web site helped in more than a "round about way", I would say it had a profound affect.

I'm with CA girl, when I was in school for Graphic Communications, I was taught that for every person that took the time to write that there was a hundred or more that felt the same but did not take the time to write. Now days, after years of activism, I have seen enough procrastination and apathy to think that way more than 100 don't write.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:04PM

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:40PM

That's great. Great that you had such an impact and great that the person wrote to tell you. Wonderful! Thank you.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:59PM

Yes, it's true, there are hundreds of other grateful survivors out there that you don't even know about.

When I first read your writings, and others, I was upset, too, but not at you, but at the lies I discovered. I think this mailbag person transferred his distress onto you. Most of us are soooo angry at first.

I'm glad that this person was kind enough to apologize. You do so much good for so many people!

I would go as far as saying that you probably have helped prevent a few suicides as well! Leaving the cult got rid of my "Sunday depression" forever! Please keep up the good work! (((hugs)))

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 12:58AM

You proved that a little education and common sense can clear away the brainwashing. I'm not surprised by this email.

I remember being so thankful for the thoughtful and well laid out information that you provide for the "world" that I replied to an email from you that "I hope you live forever".

We will never know just how many were helped by your work Richard but I bet it's in the hundreds of thousands and that you're contribution to telling the truth will live long after you are gone. That is a legacy that you can be proud of long before you actually go the way of all men, my friend.

Posted by: stationarytraveler ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 12:51AM

while visiting your site. I believe you and Erik have contributed much to the educating of truth seekers, me being one of them.

So, I too thank you Richard for putting it all out there.

Kind Regards

ST

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 01:12AM

When I was first figuring out about mormonism I spent a lot of time on your site. It was really helpful and I so appreciate all the work you put into it.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 01:22AM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 02:13AM

That is so cool Richard...and the best part is the age he was when you first communicated with each other. He did not forget. You help so many.

Date: November 20, 2010 11:04AM

The writer is a young woman.

Thanks for all the nice comments! I guess we never know the effect we are having!

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 11:09AM

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 01:05PM

Yay!

Excellent job, Richard!!!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 01:24PM

When I attended your talk a few years ago at the exmo conference, you described your trip through Mormon historical sites, taking a tour. I thought it was going to be an angry presentation, illustrating all the distortions.

Instead, I never laughed so hard in my life--literally, tears. But aside from freely indulging in loud laughter, I was able to see through your eyes of being free for many years, that there was a way to find humor in the whole sordid Mormon lie.

Thanks for the facts and thanks for the laughs. I never hear the Carthage jail story that I don't think of you and the strategically placed kleenex boxes for the tourists!

BTW, do you have that talk printed/posted anywhere?

Date: November 20, 2010 03:15PM

anagrammy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I attended your talk a few years ago at the
> exmo conference, you described your trip through
> Mormon historical sites, taking a tour. I thought
> it was going to be an angry presentation,
> illustrating all the distortions.
>
> Instead, I never laughed so hard in my
> life--literally, tears. But aside from freely
> indulging in loud laughter, I was able to see
> through your eyes of being free for many years,
> that there was a way to find humor in the whole
> sordid Mormon lie.
>
> Thanks for the facts and thanks for the laughs. I
> never hear the Carthage jail story that I don't
> think of you and the strategically placed kleenex
> boxes for the tourists!
>
> BTW, do you have that talk printed/posted
> anywhere?

Yes, it is on my website at http://packham.n4m.org/travelog.htm

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 03:52PM

early in my Investigation of the LDS church/cult. I learned alot of things I didn't know and would never have known just attending the LDS ward building and listening to missionary BS.

Well the realisation of two years of being manipulated and lied to resulted in my bit of therapy to release some anger and frustration on you tube with my own channel challenging the LDS claims and here is a recent email I got.

"I would like to thank you for suggesting to me that the church may not be true because now i firmly beleive it is not. I know it has been a long time. Once again, thank you."

It's just one of around 6 similar ones from the past couple of years and no doubt I must have got around 60-100 or more die hard LDS challenging me and not one has been able to expose what they call lies because its the cult that is lying.

It just takes time from when first discovering faith disrupting facts. I even heard from one of my missionaries who I would 'contend' with and he admits he too has seen through the whole crock, though has to play along for family fears/reasons.

So Yes again to cludgie's original point. Exmo's, drymo's,inactivemo's, nevermo's are the real stone rolling forth! lol

Posted by: kgigeque ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 04:13PM

I have intended but not thanked you, Richard Packham, and all the people involved with this website for your help in almost the opposite situation of many of the questioners of Mormonism. I have been out of Mormonism for so long, and I am so far away from it all, that I have forgotten a lot about the mentality (which really is incomprehensible in many ways). When I visit my believing family, it is helpful for me to check in with RfM to remember what I am dealing with. This has helped me enormously, and I am even able to talk to them about my heathen thoughts. You help lots of people in different situations. Never doubt that you are successful.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 04:24PM

That was cool, Richard.

Timothy

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 04:34PM

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 05:31PM

that is great news, maybe you should talk to my kids! (c:

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 06:09PM

What a lovely letter! kudos to the both of you! ;o))

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.