Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 11:49PM

Looking to try out some new coffee, any suggestions?

Yeah, I LIKE slumming with the devil when I slug back some java! I feel mean and dirty. I know I am just one step from being a mass murderer when I am going for the bean. Living life on the edge, oh yeah, that's me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 10, 2012 11:59PM

What's that one called from Vietnam that first passes through the digestive system of a monkey, before being roasted, ground, and made into a drink?

I don't know what my favorite one is, but that one probably ain't it, and I am not willing to give it a try.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 12:32AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
It's made from a civit not a monkey. I think they are in the skunk family, not too sure.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 02:54AM

I think it is closer to a type of cat weasle.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 01:20PM

A Danish outfit called Mikkeller makes an Imperial Stout called Beer Geek Breakfast with coffee beans.

They use the civet-digested beans in a version called Beer Geek Breakfast (Weasel Poop).

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 12:03AM

I like espresso, but that might not be good if you are a beginner.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 12:07AM

My favorite coffee is a local roaster here in Denver called Novo.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 12:07AM

If you are trying coffee for the first time, Dunkin Donuts, ice coffee, with cream and sugar. For the first year, it was the only way I could pallet coffee. Now I am OK with any cup.

Date: January 11, 2012 12:26AM

I am looking for information on the specific brand and roast. I currently buy supermarket beans, dark roasts. I don't care for starbucks, as i think it has a burnt flavor that I don't like.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 03:41PM

I like Tullys, much smoother than SB's.
I usually get their breakfast blend, but also like madison

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 12:30AM

Supermarkets which carry gourmet brands often have little bags of different flavors and beans . They are pretty cheap and a good way of trying different flavors. If you have the dispensers that allow you to bag your own, just buy a small amount and see what you like.

Date: January 11, 2012 12:34AM

I will drink any coffee except starbucks. I can't even stand the smell of that.

I'm not picky about the bean, but I love making coffee with a french press, especially sprinkling in some cinnamon with the grinds.

Regardless of how it's made, I like it with the powdered creamer (I can deal with the fake liquid creamer, real cream is good, too. Milk is a last resort), and no sugar.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 01:19AM

I never believed that the method mattered as much as the bean until I tried it myself. A burr grinder set to course and a French press produces a completey different taste from the same beans blade ground run through a drip coffee maker. It tastes smoother, lighter. It even smells slightly different. So from me you get a second vote for French press.

As far as the bean goes I like a medium roast with a nutty flavor. Which is another great thing about a French press you can put ground nuts in the grind to enhance the nutty flavor.

Eight O Clock original whole bean medium roast is a great flavor for its price. Not as good as Newman's Own but at roughly half the cost it's a good daily staple.

On the "can't drink this sh!t" list I put Foldiers, Maxwell House, Starbucks and anything in Freeze Dried crystals. No instant coffee I've ever had is good.

Date: January 11, 2012 01:33AM

Oooh! I never considered adding ground nuts to the grinds in the french press! I do agree, though, the smell and taste of french press coffee is completely different.

Instant coffee is disgusting, but I always keep a bottle in the pantry. Sprinkle some in your hands after working with garlic, mush around and rinse, and the garlic smell will be gone!

Posted by: Melly ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 01:09PM

You can grind anything along with your coffee!

I have a small, hand-cranked grinder. During the winter months, I like to include some whole cloves with the beans as I grind, then I add some cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and a dash of nutmeg after I put the grounds into the french press. Spiced coffee is a great treat every once in awhile.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 01:03AM

It is not a coffee for beginners, but it is also not an overly bitter brand that some people like so much.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 01:15AM

Kona, followed by Kenya AA and Jamaica Blue Mountain....still enjoying the Kona we bought on Maui last march...

Posted by: foreverhuman ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 02:01AM

Moose drool dark roast is an awesome bean. The flavor is rich, not bitter, and makes a great dessert coffee. It is kinda spendy though.

Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 08:49AM

If you can get Peet's coffee, the Major Dickenson's grind is superb!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 01:58PM

Agreed. I love most of all of Peets coffees. Mocha Java, Major Dickason's, and Jamaica Blue...

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 09:58AM

French Roast Sumatran. This is one coffee I can drink black and be fully content.

Amazon.com. Experement.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 03:44PM

I like that one too. Black. It would be a sin to disguise the flavor.

As for those freeze dried coffees. I wouldn't even think of it. yuck. I do keep some in the pantry to bake with. A tsp. in a chocolate cake bumps it up a notch.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 09:59AM

Jamaican Blue Mountain. It has an aroma that is just intoxicating. I rarely drank coffee till I went on vacation in Jamaica and this was served at the resort. It's so damn good!

However, I understand that the real stuff cost about $60-$80/lb. There are blends that have a small amt of JBM in them but they're not even close.

Posted by: fallible ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 10:14AM

But they are rich, mellow and sweet.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 10:22AM

I had to work in Jakarta for a while, and their Starbucks shops carry Sulawesi. It was so good I bought a stash and brought it home. Sadly, Starbucks USA does not stock it, and supposedly they can't lay their hands on that much Sulawesi to carry it nationally. Some smaller providers carry it. I tried www.coffeeam.com, who have tons of great coffees; their Sulawesi is always out of stock. But I finally found it with Father Michael's Roastery, from a Greek orthodox priest in Goldendale, Washington (www.fathermichaels.com). Also try Father Michael's Eastern Queen blend.

Father Michaels and CoffeeAM both have Ethiopia Sidamo. That used to be one of Starbuck's favorite beans, but they quit buying them because Starbuck's supposedly had some sort of falling out with the growers there. Coffee originated in Ethiopia, and they still have pretty much the best.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 10:30AM

I've been drinking 8 O'clock coffee for years- The whole beans, not the pre-ground shit.
I love the French Vanilla and the Hazelnut flavour, but the French Roast is good as well. It's afforadable as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 11:41AM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 10:58AM

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 02:00PM

If I had access to that every day, I might become a javahead.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 11:40AM

I really like Eight O'Clock whole bean Colombian coffee. I ran out a while back and had to substitute with Folgers and I was not happy.

Time for another cup!

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 02:37PM

Old #303, Vanilla Nut. Smooth......

Ron

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 02:47PM

But sometimes they're a little unevenly roasted-- it's best to mix the bag well before putting it in your (burr) grinder. Otherwise, every pot is slightly different.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 02:53PM

I like Peet's Moka Java. Yum!!

Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 03:00PM

Everyone has his own favorite. This stuff definitely works for me.

Date: January 11, 2012 04:45PM

Thanks for the suggestions. For those with coffee habits you might want to try cold brewed coffee. You put 1/3 cup of coarse ground beans to 1 and half cups of room temp water and let sit overnight. then strain in a mesh strainer, then i use a plastic "permanent" type filter to get out the rest of the sediment. I found if I try and run it through a regular coffee filter that it gets clogged up.

you get a concentrate, I add 1/2 milk to it, some drink it straight, some add water to it. You can add hot water to make it into hot coffee.

The taste is more mellow than hot brewed coffee.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.