Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 11, 2012 02:32PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 01:20PM

Won't stop me from drinking it....

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 02:08PM

Makes me enjoy the champagne I like without feeling guilty for not drinking red wine instead.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 02:20PM

Although I'm disappointed (I love me some red wine) I think this is a great example of how science is self-correcting-- unlike Mormonism. Science methodologies are designed to root out and expose error, bias, and quackery.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 04:05PM

angsty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think this is a great example of how
> science is self-correcting-- unlike Mormonism.
> Science methodologies are designed to root out and
> expose error, bias, and quackery.

Hey, Mormonism is self-correcting.

Why as soon as the GAs learned that Paul H. Dunn's faith promoting stories were a pack of lies they quietly self-corrected by putting him on emeritus status and threatened Lynn Packer not to go public with his information.

When Joseph Smith was so unwise to write that he'd "had a glass of beer at Moessers" the brethren self-corrected and removed it from the History of the Church.

When Mormon historian Reed Durham gave a talk to the Mormon History Association about how Joseph Smith borrowed a lot from Masonry (including stuff paralleling Moroni and the Gold Plates) he was self-corrected and told by "the Brethren" not to do any more research on the subject and not to give out any information.

When Brigham Young's sermons were gathered to make the book "The Discourses of Brigham Young," ("copyright, 1925 by Heber J. Grant for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints") Apostle John A. Widsoe was very careful to self-correct and change any of Brigham Young's language that hinted at his "Adam-God doctrine." That way Joseph Fielding Smith was later able to use the newer, self-corrected quotes to prove that Brigham Young never taught Adam-God."

And Hugh Nibley has "self-corrected" a lot of stuff in his footnotes to make it say what it should have said rather than what it actually did say.

Mormonism is VERY self-correcting.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 04:08PM

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 04:22PM

I'd say Mormonism is slow-correcting.

It self corrects itself to be inline with society, it just does so slowly:
Polygamy, racism, etc. The artifacts are still there but everyone in the church ignores them.

I'd imagine given another 100-200 years the church will decide same gender sex is ok within marriage. The fact that the scriptures and earlier church leaders denounced it will leave an ignored artifact behind.

Posted by: dot ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 05:21PM

baura:

"When Mormon historian Reed Durham gave a talk to the Mormon History Association about how Joseph Smith borrowed a lot from Masonry (including stuff paralleling Moroni and the Gold Plates) he was self-corrected and told by "the Brethren" not to do any more research on the subject and not to give out any information."

Can you provide a link for the talk or an article concerning this? Thanks.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 05:32PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.