Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 12:15PM

"In an open-ended question asking what one word best describes the Mormon religion, the same survey found that the most commonly offered response was “cult.”

http://www.pewforum.org/Christian/Mormon/mormons-in-america-executive-summary.aspx

Sorry if this poll has already been discussed.

Most of it actually seemed pretty positive for mormons. But realizing how the rest of the world really sees them has got to hurt. If the shoe fits... If it walks like a duck...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 12:55PM

I hadn't seen it yet.

Date: January 12, 2012 01:09PM

On page 30 of the full report, it has a section title "Which Religions are Similar to Mormonism?"

On average, 40% of US Mormons thought that Mormonism is "very or somewhat similar" to Judaism.

49% of college graduated Mormons held this belief.
59% of returned missionaries thought that Mormonism was very or somewhat similar to Judaism.

One thing that is very interesting about this survey is that since it's examining Mormon attitudes and beliefs, we get a great picture of how absolutely delusional they are. And, not surprisingly, RMs seem to be especially delusional.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 01:56PM

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 01:16PM

Daymon Smith calls the Pew Poll "rubbish."

http://daymonsmith.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/correlation-by-survey-pew-and-the-cob/

Daymon points out that the sample used doesn't (and can't) include the 85% of LDS members who don't attend services.

Date: January 12, 2012 01:52PM

especially with the sections that compare Mormon beliefs with those of non-Mormons. They provide a detailed context for the Mormon side, but not the non-Mormon side. We can't really make meaningful comparisons without knowing how the samples compare. For example, the section on 'Life Goals' indicates that 81% of Mormons considered "being a good parent" to be one of the most important things in life, compared with 50% of non-Mormons. However, when you look at the detail provided, it would appear that unmarried and non-parent Mormons held that belief at a significantly lower rate. It would appear that some difference in attitude could be explained by whether the individual surveyed was a parent or not in the first place. Without being able to see if non-Mormons had a similar correlation, we really aren't entitled to make meaningful assumptions.

Date: January 12, 2012 01:55PM

I'm glad he took the time to point out the issues in the sample. He is clearly right.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 01:56PM

LOL he acknowledges an overall activity rate of only 15% ?

That's freaking hilarious.

Date: January 12, 2012 02:27PM

"What about the 85% of elders in my Elders Quorum who’ve never attended church in my ward, and in every ward I’ve ever attended?"

Admittedly it's a little ambiguously worded (it's unclear whether he's saying there's an 85% inactivity in every ward he's attended, or just the current), but it can't be construed as an overall inactivity rate. He didn't make that claim at all.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 12, 2012 02:07PM

active and participating members. That means only one third of the 14 million they claim as members were even qualified to answer questions on this survey.

It represents the most rabid third of their members at best.

I'm really disappointed with PEW. I had a higher opinion of them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.