Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 11:47AM

What these examples show are how far Romney is willing to go to implement the Mormon agenda.

Anyone who thinks he could put Mormonism aside as president is sadly mistaken.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: January 14, 2012 01:45AM

I "KNEW" it!!! This is exactly what I feared! God help us if that maggot gets elected! I still wonder what that p.o.s. Romney will do as far as those on food stamps, and those on welfare? He would probably but his phony BOM standards along with it!

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 11:55AM

Insightful reader's comment by "tweedmeister" (name sounds familiar ...)

<quote>
newswoman: I couldn't tell you why Evangelicals are "hard" on women. I can only speak for Mormons because I was an LDS leader for many years; I only resigned my Mormon membership in 2009. The LDS church is quite specific about men holding all the cards and having all of what they normally refer to as "power and authority of the priesthood." It has been softened in more recent times, most notably after 1990 when the Mormons lightened up their marriage ceremony a bit. The woman used to "covenant" or vow to giver herself to and obey the word of her husband. Still, old habits die hard.

What makes Mormonism so difficult is that it depends on what they call the "personal inspiration" or "personal revelation" of the specific leader giving guidance to another individual or for the congregation over which he is in authority. This comes from the doctrine of Personal Revelation, that all priesthood holders receive personal and individual revelation to guide the people over which they have authority. But for some men this means dictatorship, and other more kind men do it in a way much more in line with a religious leader. Unfortunately, in a church that decorates and awards businessmen (there are no theologians or pedagogues among senior leadership, only CEOs, lawyers, businessmen, and accountants), it is common for a bishop or stake president to run his ward or stake in such a manner and stick only to the Mormons' holy "Handbook of Instructions," more powerful than even the Bible or Book of Mormon. And some will do as Romney allegedly did, threaten the members. Besides this, it is church policy that all unwed mothers give their children up for adoption to the LDS adoption agencies. End of story.
<endquote>

Posted by: Chicken'N'Backpacks ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 12:32PM

No comment on this other than I find it amusing the article says that the young lady "found herself pregnant"; "Wow, I'm pregnant--I wonder how that happened!?"

Maybe it was a Elohim miracle, maybe Mitt missed out on the Second Coming....

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 01:02PM

It's very common in difficult settings for adoption to be a strong consideration especially when the girl is young, the resources for caring for the child are minimum. It's always a consideration, and for those parents who cannot have their own children, it's a way to have a family.

I don't know the whole story, none of us do. But advising a young unmarried woman to give their baby up for adoption has been a long standing acceptable way to handle the situation.

Having dealt with adoption issues, I won't make a judgment on the decisions or find fault with it. I am very confident that a lot of discussion from several different people, and family members went into the reasons for adoption.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 01:22PM

She was a divorced mother with an older child from her previous marriage who was now pregnant out of wedlock. Chances are that a single mother who is already caring for one child would be able to handle a second child as well. Romney allegedly threatened her with excommunication if she didn't give up her second child, which seems extreme. I wonder why he thought it was OK for her to keep the older child - just because it's easier to place a baby?

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 02:06PM

It was none of his business, not his decision. What a prick. It was her decision to keep or give up her baby; he had no business "advising" her, bishop or not. He was waaaaaay out of line.

Everything else aside, as one of the 50% club (women are roughly 50% of the population, so we do matter) I couldn't possibly vote for someone who had such a bad record regarding women. He's a sexist, but so are the rest of the clownish bunch.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 03:46PM

Is that the woman already had one child. What would it do to that existing child to have his sibling adopted away? Talk about fears of abandonment and feelings of loss. A better way would have been to lend support to the family and counsel the mom on future birth control.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 03:54PM

he went to her father with his power play.

What a loser.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 03:13PM

did you read the whole article?

"I am very confident that a lot of discussion from several different people, and family members went into the reasons for adoption.

are you kidding me??? where the heck did you get your "confidence"? HUH?? yeah and give up her child from her marriage too? think it thru Suzieq!!
just sayin!!

Date: January 13, 2012 03:53PM

She doesn't bother to read the article and inform herself, just attempts to justify the entirely unjustifiable actions of Mitt Romney when he was drunk with power. The man was clearly one of the asses of the Mormon Bishop Hall of Fame.

Date: January 13, 2012 04:34PM

bignevermo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The article was so biased that it was not reliable , in my view so I commented on the adoption process from my experience.

Date: January 13, 2012 04:36PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bignevermo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> The article was so biased that it was not reliable
> , in my view so I commented on the adoption
> process from my experience.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 02:02PM

I think the driving thing here is that he was unwilling to allow these mothers to be adults and make their own decisions. He appears to have been bringing down the weight of holy father church upon them really hard.

I wouldn't have expected any differently from most LDS leaders dealing with similar situations. This is really symptomatic of the kind of thinking that goes on in LDS land. It's good this stuff is getting out into the open.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 02:10PM

I would be really surprised if he threatened excommunication.

That said I didn't realize this was baby #2. That makes it weirder that I first thought.

Date: January 13, 2012 03:55PM

He went to her father to try and make him force her to give up the child.

I wonder if he had a couple in mind to adopt the baby?

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 03:39PM

the more disgusted I am.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 04:15PM

Even Dr. Laura says you should never give a baby up for adoption if you have another child. It damages the first child's sensabilities.

Date: January 13, 2012 04:41PM

And certainly not for the article that is so negatively biased it's unreliable. There is no way to know if there is an ounce of truth in the article. It's just a bunch of political crap.

One of the things I learned years ago, was to be careful about what I accepted as factual evidence. That article, as well as a bunch of other ones about all the candidates floating around go in the trash. It's just typical political mud slinging.

Date: January 13, 2012 04:54PM

I had hoped that people would not be so gullible and easily manipulated by writers that use them.

Date: January 13, 2012 06:14PM

I have to say that I have trouble accepting this story without a little more proof, simply because it isn't typical of a Mormon bishop to threaten excommunication for keeping a child, especially in a case like this where the mother already has a child. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a grain of truth to this, such as Romney may have advised an unwed mother to give up a child for adoption at some point. I'm curious now to find out how much truth there may be in the story.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 04:44PM

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 07:21PM

That bit about made me puke. And the way he excused it-- what a turd, and a liar! The kennel couldn't have been airtight if poo was dribbling down the rear window, and the dog clearly wasn't having a good time. Anyone who knows anything about dogs, knows that making a mess in their crate is very distressing for them and only occurs if something is wrong.

After watching Rachel Maddow's coverage of it, I turned to my sister and we both said the same thing "Dad would have thought of that". Granted, our dad has a serious personality disorder and is like a step away from being a sociopath. Certainly doesn't make me think well of Romney.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 06:06PM

According to the article:

‘And then he(Romney)" says, "Well, this is what the church wants you to do, and if you don’t, then you could be excommunicated for failing to follow the leadership of the church,"’ Hayes recalled.”
Romney later denied that he’d made this threat."

He said, she said. I have never heard of a Bishop threatening excommunication over something like this. And there are other parts of this story that tell of how romney helped her financially by giving her jobs to make money and finding other places for her to get work. I agree with SusieQ#1 on the unreliability of this story.
I also noticed that this story wasn't picked up by a lot of news sources.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 06:13PM

+1 on it is very unlikely Romney threatened excommunication for not giving up a child for adoption. Pretty much destroys the credibility of the entire article.

Just because we believed everything we heard hook, line & sinker when we were TBMs doesn't mean we still have to.

Date: January 14, 2012 01:10AM

Perhaps he didn't consider it a "threat" since he didn't follow through with it.

Date: January 13, 2012 07:16PM

Hayes quit the LDS group shortly after the Romney visit. If I'd been threatened and talked to like that, I'd quit too.

Date: January 13, 2012 07:37PM

A book has been written called "The Real Romney" by Michael Kranish and Scott Helman. No charges for libel yet...

Susie, you might want to get that twitchy knee looked at, and the other one too. There seems to be a persistent neurological deficit affecting them.

Posted by: djmaciii ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 07:33PM

The bishop of my Moms ward tried to get her to give away my oldest brother, as my mom was unmarried at the time. She refused.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: January 14, 2012 12:40AM

I am shocked at some of these responses doubting bishops doing this. I know of 5 instances when the threat of excommunication was used to cajole women into the adoption option (all but one refused). Some bishops get really aggravated when you don't respect their authority. But then again, I grew up during the Kimball era when it was better to come home dead in a box than to sacrifice your virtue.

Oh and to clarify, 2 were gals I grew up with, 1 was a sister of a friend, and the other two I was ward clerk for the extortion proceedings (both adult women) and get to relive the experiences in my heat over and over again.

It is good to remember results may very greatly depending on how big of a jerk the leader is (or the leader he works for). And if you ex them, and cut of welfare support, you can really teach them a lesson on how God hates those who don't follow His leaders.

Date: January 14, 2012 12:55AM

The part I question is whether a bishop would really require an unmarried, formerly divorced mother to give up her baby for adoption but allow her to keep her older child from the previous marriage. I have no doubt that they can be that cruel, but it just seems too inconsistent to make her give up one child and not the other.
The other thing that struck me as strange is that the mother claims that after Romney made that threat, she asked him to come bless her baby. He sent representatives to bless the baby instead of going in person. That was when she took offense and left the church.
Maybe it's just me, but that seems a little off. If my bishop threatened to excommunicate me if I didn't give up my child, I'd never want to see the a**hole again. But this mother somehow wasn't as offended by the threat of excommunication as she was by the fact that Romney didn't show up in person when she called him to bless the baby. OK...

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 14, 2012 01:46AM

A woman who just had a baby, and was coerced into giving it up for adoption may not be in a good emotional place. He demanded a huge sacrifice of her. Not to mention such a young woman being told by someone who she has been told has more power over her than herself. She was in his office because she thought he knew better than she did what the best solution was. When she realized she'd been taken, it was too late.
In my last ward the bishop basically told his son's girlfriend the same thing. She was devastated. She did as she was told. I know that threat is made. People outside the church can't wrap their minds around it, and don't believe what people tell them. It can get pretty mind blowing at times.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: January 14, 2012 01:48AM

WHY does this NOT surprise me?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.