Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lily ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 08:46PM

...they should be able to stop you at the door and say "nope, you can't have this one!"

There's a newbie on the BBC board (wants to investigate the church) and she named her kids Orion (which I can live with), Nova and Aurora.

Really?!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 08:48PM

Nova is pretty bad but I kind of like Aurora. With some excetions, what is an ugly name is subjective.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 08:49PM

I knew a Filipino girl named Aurora. She was a housekeeper at a place I worked at years ago. We got along great, and I heard from some friends later on, that she had been in love with me. Had I know, I would have gone out with her. That is probably one of my bigger regrets.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 08:53PM

auroras arent uncommon where i live....

(the girls and the lights)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 09:10PM by grubbygert.

Posted by: elysiannevermo ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:58PM

DItto on that,

At least where I used to live

Posted by: elysiannevermo ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 10:00PM

I know someone who's kids are named Novalee, Noralee and Natalee. Kinda ridiculous in my opinion.

Didn't mean to post under mine :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 10:00PM by elysiannevermo.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 08:54PM

Nova means new in Latin and is the name of a celestial explosian and a Chevrolet car. I don't think I'd name someone that.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:41PM

As I understand it, Nova, or no va means "doesn't go, or run" in Mexican Spanish. The Chevy car didn't do so well down there.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:48PM

No va technically, "It will not..." It's just plain ol' Spanish, not specific to Mexico.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 08:57PM

I know a really cool lady named Orion, and Aurora isn't that uncommon.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 08:59PM

I have a friend named Orion. It's a good name for him. I suggested that for Halloween he could wear a black outfit with a sword and belt of stars. He was pretty excited about the idea.
RG

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:00PM

Aurora was Sleeping Beauty's name.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:02PM

They all seem like nice enough names, just that maybe mom and dad are trying just a little too hard to be of the moment and hip.

Personally, I'm all -aden'd out. All those little boys: Hayden, Jayden, Aiden, Caden, Braden . . . aaaagh! I'm beginning to miss the good old days when those little boys were all Jacob or Matthew! Wait! Oh, that was last week . . .

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:05PM

I think there should be some sort of renaming ceremony automatically upon turning 18. Where you get to choose your own adult name. You can keep the name your parents gave you as an adult or you can make that your nickname and choose a better one. Of course, I hate my real name and there isn't anything I can do to make it better. When I named my kids, I gave them two names they could make about 20 other names out of. The more I see of what people name their kids, the more I think the renaming ceremony is a good idea.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:13PM

I have a love/hate relationship with my name. I really don't like it, but I identify with it too strongly to go with anything else. I get compliments on it all the time and I try really hard to love it, but a lifetime of having my name mispronounced (even on the radio and TV) is enough to make me cringe every time I think about it.

I seriously wish I could have renamed myself at 18. I would have gone with Zelda.

Posted by: allicat ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 10:12PM

Like the video game!

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:32PM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course, I hate my real name and there
> isn't anything I can do to make it better.

Whaaat? Do you really mean you can't change it?

In Sweden, you can change your first name(s): you can strike a name you don't like and keep one of your given names and then just inform the tax admin and that's it. If you want to change them all you must apply but there are lots of names that get accepted.

You can also change your surname if you have a good argument, although not into some famous person's name (like Greta Garbo) or some existing name of a living person, other than for example your mother's maiden name.

There are probably some other regulations but that's the gist of it.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 11:16PM

I could legally change my name but unless you are going into the theater or something, no one really does it. I had a friend who had an even worse first and last name than I do and she changed her name to something really gorgeous, because she was going to become an attorney and wanted a name that sounded intelligent and rolled off the tongue easily. I loved her new name but everyone thought she was ridiculous and looked down on her for it. I'm sure she had the last laugh when she left behind all her old friends and went on to a successful legal career with new friends, but the crap she caught for changing her name stayed in my memory. I don't know anyone else who's been brave enough to totally change their name, except for getting married - although I do know people who have started going by middle names and nicknames. I have a handful of friends I've convinced to call me by my nickname. I wish more would, but habits are hard to break. There is nothing you can do with either my first or middle name to improve it, although it's not as bad as our next door neighbor at our last house, who's name was Hortense - no middle name. She went by Tense.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 11:18PM

Before computer databases it was very common for people to change their names upon reaching adulthood. Once they started their professional life though, it tended to stick. An example of this is Ulysses Sam Grant, whose original first and middle name I can not remember, but he picked out two new ones by simply enrolling into West Point with them.

Date: January 13, 2012 09:05PM

I know a guy named Orion, and I know Aurora is getting fairly popular. But when you put all three names together, I have to roll my eyes. I'm not big on that kind of thing.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:06PM

Boy named Sue?

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:12PM

Wasn't Nova the name Charleton Heston gave his semi-nude and completely mute co-star in the original Planet of the Apes movie?

Posted by: jeebusinasidecar ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:14PM

Nova is rather nice, IMO. I've heard Orion. Aurora is rather popular nationwide. However, together, the celestial theme is a bit much, I'll admit.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:16PM

Orion and Aurora are classic names- Aurora is the Roman name for Eos, goddess of the dawn. Orion is a classic Greek hunter. Nova comes from the Latin novus meaning "New."

Better than some of the ridiculous crap people mesh together for unique names these days, bet then again, I love mythology so I'm biased.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:18PM

Orion might be a bit better for a dog, but I don't think it's THAT bad or Aurora either.
Now naming kids stuff like Apple or Superman or Grape Nuts is just kind of silly.

Nova makes me think of Heather Nova. I love her.

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:20PM

I have an issue with people who name all there kids starting with the same letter.. I don't know why. I think it has something to do with my belief that everyone being born an individual...

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:25PM

I actually like the names you mentioned...

Down where I live, people name their kids ridiculous names that any future employer will throw out of the pool before an interview...

Example: "Sir Henry"-boy. "Robertneisha"-girl

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 09:32PM

I hate the name Destiny, and I would not allow anyone called Destiny to do brain surgery on me or sell me real estate.

My nephew and his then wife were allegedly going to name their second child Destiny if a girl or Zeppelin (possibly a rumor) if a boy.

I was going to call the child Spot.

Jason got overdone 30-35 years ago.

Susan

Date: January 13, 2012 09:43PM

Destiny's destiny is a stripper pole.

Date: January 13, 2012 09:45PM

As long as you stay away from "Le" anything. Although, LeBobby has a nice ring to it.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 10:00PM

Ima Hogg (I'm A)

http://www.fm.coe.uh.edu/comparisons/ima1.html

Then there is:

Moon Unit,
Dweezil
Jermajesty

Those are stupid names.

Posted by: marisa ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 10:03PM

Le is bad and La is just as bad. I once taaught a little girl named LaTrina. there should've been a law againsh giving a child that name. the child should be able to picl her own name and whoever thought it was a good idea to name the poor girl "LaTrina" should be permanently saddled with the name themselves.

Date: January 13, 2012 10:18PM

Sometimes a name just fits a family.

My brother named one of his sons Otto. I know a lot of people think it's a dumb name, but if you know my brother- it's perfect.

I knew of a brother/sister pair at my last job named Prince and Princess. Really.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 10:39PM

Joseph, Brigham, Lehi, Nephi

Posted by: Earth Wind and Fire ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 10:43PM

I have a friend whose middle name is Orion. That's kind of cool, but I wouldn't want to call him that all the time. He wants to name one of his kids Odysseus. THAT'S a terrible name.

Posted by: spintobear ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 10:44PM

I live in Louisiana and teach at a school. We currently have a pair of twins named Lawasha and Ladrya. We also have have a girl named a'shole`. I'm really not kidding.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 11:05PM

Its better than Hugo for a polish/french american child growing up in white bread america.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: January 13, 2012 11:08PM

an anime series from the 1970's. Just be glad she wasn't a transformers fan. "...and this is my son Optimus Prime."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.