Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dan2 ( )
Date: January 18, 2012 09:51AM

A BYU-I student wants an episode of Modern Family pulled because a two year old supposedly says the "F" word (she really doesn't but she appears to).

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/toddlers-cuss-word-modern-family-draws-ire-024407751.html

Seriously? That is what bothers this Mormon kid? He couldn't find something else on tv to rebel against?

Then a young married Mormon couple in Rexburg went to church this last Sunday and left their 15 month baby home alone. Of course they "had their baby monitor with them", but the baby was home alone.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/toddlers-cuss-word-modern-family-draws-ire-024407751.html

It seems that church is so important that they left the baby alone for some unknown reason. It must seem like quite a family church to them.

Silly Mormons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: January 18, 2012 10:31AM

Just a coincidence that we were in Rexburg at lunchtime on a Saturday passing through on a road trip. We stopped at the Wendy's there. It was summer so I was wearing shorts (not even booty shorts, they went about halfway down my thigh) and a sleeveless shirt (not even a real tank top, just no sleeves and a little V neck) OMG the STARES we got from those TBM moms in there with their little kids! You would have thought I had a third eye on my forehead. Some of them even went as far as to point and whisper to their kids (probably about my lack of modesty because *gasp!* you could see my shoulders AND part of my upper leg!) I was in my mid 20s so I thought I was dressed completely appropriate. Apparently, everyone could tell we weren't from Rexburg. Are they so sheltered there that they've never seen a woman's shoulders in public? Next time I go through there I'm wearing way less!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 05:20PM

..."See, that's how Mommy would like to dress if it weren't for this stupid church."

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 18, 2012 05:45PM

Ah yes...Rexburg...Ricks...Ensign Hall...where I was immersed into Morg 24/7 culture for the first time in my life...and where my apostasy began...

Posted by: noone ( )
Date: January 18, 2012 06:01PM

Things must of changed a lot since I was there. Ricks College was referred to as Ricks Reform School. It was where all the wild Mormon kids went to school cause they partied to much in HS to get the grades to get into BYU.

Also, the native Eastern Idaho Mormons had a reputation as being wild. The marching teams or drill teams at Rexburg High and Rigby High were nicknamed either The Fornicadettes or The Marching Mothers.

The HS girls all wore tight jeans and unbuttoned their blouses a couple buttons two many.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 18, 2012 06:04PM

when were you in 'the joint'?

me: 65-67: 'mom' Shail, RIP

Date: January 18, 2012 08:39PM

'66-'67...Rm. 335- 3rd North...yes RIP Mom Shail...she kindly did my mending...what floor were you on?...I new a few guys on 2nd north...

Posted by: Hillbilly Heathen ( )
Date: January 18, 2012 10:31PM

When I was there in the early '70s, it was more like poster noone said. It was much more laid back than Provo and the real BYU (the students of which looked down on us like we were third world immigrants). I had sideburns below my ear lobes, hair touching my collar, and wore tattered cut off blue jeans all the time. Got pictures to prove it, too. (Rememeber, if the temperature was above 20, it was a heat wave).

Maybe it was because I was involved in athletics (which is non existant there today), I got away with more, but I dont think so. We had a smattering of religious nuts, most of whom lived in the dorms. The off campus residents tended to be much more open (ahem) and fun loving. (Especially the womens complex up on the hill next to where the temple is now). Also had the coolest Branch president ever - Floyd Luke, who ran the bowling alley in the Manwaring center...

For the most part, I actually enjoyed myself there...

Date: January 18, 2012 11:49PM

I was mostly involved in seeing how much I could get away with...skipping Old Testament class at 8AM Tues. and Thurs....and helping a dorm mate rebuild his 305 Honda Scrambler so I could ride it...smuggled a dozen Lethbridge Pilsner beers in my luggage after Christmas break and drank them along with my biker buddy...

Date: January 18, 2012 11:42PM

My old roomie was an ace bowler and he NEVER bowled a game against anybody unless there were $$'s involved. He told me that Rexburg Police and the Honor Commitee Nazi's constantly hassled him, arrested him numerous times and eventually ran him outta Rexburg because he was an Italian from New York...and I believe him

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 03:39AM

So the kid doesn't like the TV show because the kid's word is bleeped and mouth pixilated. But I guess enough context to know what the word was . . . But then the kid mentions the "f-bomb." How is this different from the very show he's protesting?

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 04:45AM

Ah yes Iceberg, er.. Rexburg.... coldest winters I ever had and I grew up in Alaska!!!

I wore my 'waffle stomper' boots under my long woolen plaid skirt with my long johns on Sunday. I wasn't about to slip on the ice walking to church, or freeze my fanny either....

The 'sober society' yes I liked the pizza bombs! The place always seemed to be the name for the drunk tank for people to get over their inebriation.

My room mate and her friend were coming back from a late movie one night. A car load of guys pulled up and asked them to join them in their car. My room mate kept walking near the car and repeatedly saying no. Finally her friend grabbed her by the hand and said "Come on, honey, we don't want to get home too late." When the guys saw them holding hands like they were a couple they peeled out and left.

What a town! Fake an intimate relationship with your girlfriend so the dochey guys will leave you alone????? (The girls didn't know the guys either.)

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 11:13AM

I spent 30 years there in the fall of 1985 - spring 86.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 02:27PM

He has plenty of tales of how wild Rexburg really is.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 02:31PM

I have been instrumental in getting the some of the students very, drunk.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.