Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 11:41PM

It's been forty years since I was last in the temple. I remembered the apron as red, but I read somewhere it was black. It has been so long, but I would really appreciate somebody telling me.

Has it always been the same color whatever that is?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2012 11:43PM by blueorchid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 11:44PM

I went to the SL temple, and they have live actors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2012 11:51PM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 19, 2012 11:45PM

Date: January 19, 2012 11:59PM

Blue, black. OK, now I'm really confused. I swear that when I went in 1969 in SLC that it was red, but I am now doubting my memory totally. I guess it wasn't.

It sounds better in my memoir though.

Date: January 20, 2012 10:56AM

OK. So it was that dark Navy. THat would look black on camera in in a lot of light, so that explains why some people who only saw the film thought it looked black.

Thankyou everybody.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 09:37AM

Posted by: wasafishinabowl ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 08:41AM

I was a temple goer starting in 1980 until 2003 and it was navy blue.

Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 08:57AM

I always felt like we were following lucifer's lead by putting on OUR aprons. No one could explain otherwise to me satisfactorily

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 08:58AM by thinker.

Posted by: goatsgotohell ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 11:25PM

I never got that either. Satan commands us to don the green apron and we scurry to comply. I figured the green apron would meet its demise before we entered celestial glory, but no, our godly whiteness was STILL marred by the evidence of our "natural man-ness (or woman-ness)". Here we got all gussied up in weird white clothes, but wear the mark of our fall forever. I thought JC was supposed to clean up that mess.

I also never got that satan caresses his apron and claims it is evidence of his power and priesthood. (Something like that, it has been over 10 years for me). For us temple-goers it seemed it was there to cover our nakedness, had nothing to do with priesthood power. I never got this. The whole apron thing drives me nuts to this day. My DH says I'm trying to make sense of something made-up and irrational. I guess I just spent so many mormon years trying to figure out the "deep" meanings of the temple because on the surface it was just a bit disappointing.

Date: January 20, 2012 11:00AM

In all the live endowments I attended in Utah, it was black.

ron

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 03:36PM

Yeah, I used to attend live actor sessions in the early seventies at BYUH, and satan's apron was black then too, IIRC.

It always looked black to me in the film versions too (of which I recall there having been several over the decades). But maybe my color vision is off somewhat? :)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 11:10AM

...someone (a seminary teacher, SS teacher, quorum teacher, bishopric member, whatever) told us in a very confidential tone, "When you go to the temple, look at the symbols on Lucifer's apron." We tried getting details, but he would say no more.

So, when I finally went to the temple (live, in the SLC temple) I was too far away to see what the markings were.

Since then, I gather they're probably Masonic. Does anyone have any further information?

Date: January 20, 2012 11:14AM

Google "Rosicrucian Apron" for details.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 12:26PM

I attended a class on Mormonism taught by Dennis and Rauni Higley. She used to be a translator and temple worker. She translated the temple ceremony into Norwegian, so she had a front row seat and saw things more closely than a normal attendee. I asked her about the markings on Lucifer's apron and was surprised when she said they are the same markings as on Adam's apron, only his was navy.

Which is even more weird the more you think about it.

Here is their site for marvelous downloads. Their research is unique, so even experienced Mormonalia lovers might enjoy their perspective. And Christians definitely will.

http://www.calvaryslc.org/Ministries/CommunityandClasses/UnderstandingMormonism.aspx

Anagrammy

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 02:49PM

It's important, in my view, to understand that rituals are always symbolic and not literal. Some are performed literally (physically) but their meaning is symbolic.

The best way to understand them, in my view, again, is through the system of archetypes explained by Carl Jung.
Some basic info here:
http://psychology.about.com/od/personalitydevelopment/tp/archetypes.htm

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 07:21PM

The last time I went to the endowment, Scratch was wearing a black velvet apron. Since Satan was only supposed to think he had powers, the color or kind of apron didn't matter. Some old biddy apparently stitched one up and they'd use it. I remember ones that were black or red with gold piping and stuff.

The strangest case was in the Salt Lake temple where Satan would wear a Freemasonry apron. I never could understand why that was supposed to make him seem satanic. You'd look around and see all the same symbols of Freemasonry on and in the temple that you'd see on the Masonic apron that Satan wore.

(You can see a Mason's apron here:
http://www.pagrandlodge.org/mlam/apron/ )

(And if for a seemingly trivial but actually useless fact, I play American old-time music, and play a tune called "Mason's Apron.)

The weirdest apron story was in the very old temple endowment movie. Eve would eat the apple and say, "What is that apron you are wearing?" You'd look and he wasn't actually wearing an apron, so you thought, "What the hell...?" (That was also the one where Satan would pluck plastic tomatoes from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, and you could see the seams and everything. Very dorky.)

Date: January 21, 2012 01:23PM

Thanks for jogging my memory Cludgie. I had forgotten how surprised I was that all of the symbols on Lucifer's apron were all over the Temple. I remember thinking, "What is this??"

How on earth did I just put that on the shelf? How did I just accept all that stuff? It seems so unreal now.

I guess when you are raised to not question...

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 21, 2012 03:55PM

You can even look it up and find that it was borrowed by Mormons. Look back at George Washington's apron, and you can see it at the top.

In our local museum they have a mannequin dressed in Masonic gear, and the apron is much like Washington's and/or the one used in the Salt Lake temple back when I used to go there.

Posted by: allicat ( )
Date: January 20, 2012 07:51PM

I'm surprised they didn't make it rainbow to emphasize anti-gay sentiments

Posted by: The mighty 15 ( )
Date: January 22, 2012 04:59AM

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 08:28PM

ROTFLMAO

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: January 21, 2012 09:04PM

I believe, many years ago, satan's apron showed the symbols of the four suits of playing cards (a heart, spade, diamond and club) and that McConkie made reference to this in Mormon Doctrine, using it as the reason that no worthy member of the church would be found with playing cards in their home. I no longer have a copy so cannot produce evidence, am going on memory. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 08:17PM

Decades ago I attended sessions in the Salt Lake Temple and in the Manti Temple. I payed special attention to Lucifer's apron. I noticed that they were different.

My guess is that the script calls for "an apron with symbols on it" or something like that.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 22, 2012 08:21PM

It's black.
So much more attractive and slimming than Neon green. Not only that he got to tie it under his jacket not over the top of grandma's nightie. Not fair.

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: March 23, 2012 11:17PM

Maybe even eggshell.

Posted by: i asked ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 12:29AM

I asked the temple patron (Washington DC 1980) why the devil said he had "priesthoods" and he said "the devil has priest CRAFTS". I nodded like I understood, but even today it seems so lame.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 06:01AM

isn't it green dude?

i don't really remember. i was just thinking about Eve the whole time. god she's hot!

Posted by: larry john ( )
Date: March 24, 2012 07:16AM

all about power and control, the good, the bad and the ugly
Its all about ego and sickly false humility, to bow to AUTHORITY... Did not christ die on the cross to end the bondage of levitical system once and for all and Jesus became the high royal priest and only judge not man....

sure there is blessings in blind faith obedience a great start but can be a bad ending. I am a witness to home wrecking revelations that cost me 7 years not alowed to attend the ward/stake tho today, finally got approval and behave myself to visit only sacrament allowed to be with my wife to try patch up
a marrige broken by authority, revelations and control. In my case re-baptism approved while overseas working, then came back to australia not long after then another revelation by a new bishop in my country australia, terminates my progress and to this day not re-baptised. I heard it was because I exposed deception about some racist situation against us that led to petition to immigration that had my wife deported, later proof of that. The church sweeps it under the carpet, and called me an apostate. I knew nothing about real apostasy then.
Now I know heaps...... The authority issue is frightening.
sick with power hunger, tho occasionly some beautifal leaders exist with love and compassion but most are ruthless and filled with execution of the penalty, temple death threat authority just as brigham young was.....

The costumes of sacredness in the temple robes aprons never really bothered me in early days, loved the whole show and saw even dead people, other witness's of that also, but they could of been demons in discuise...

I like creepy prophet Monson, tho saw him doing masonary 33 degree patriarchal grips with president Bush and Hinkly doing with with the Pope of Rome.. The masonary club is world take over but obey them and they rashion to one day through the united one world govenment order of pagen sabbath sunday marshel law comming, and all its billions of dollars not helping so much now the people will help them then and the whole world wandered after the beast revelations 14 said, the sunday pagen sun-worship relegions with its masonary sun/moon and upside star, cross signs, a sun sign on top of saltlake city temple photographed by helipcopter is all good under their authority of 666, adjoined with roman catholicism the instigator of the changed true sabbath saturday to sunday that most of the world and new churches, break away daughters of catholic sunday goers give creedence to the false christ that rules in those churches and never question them that is against church law because we might dig to deep and find ourselfs apostate for knowing to much about it all. To flee from Masonary control and obey the true original 4th commandment of the 10 being remember the 7th day and keep it holy, being saturday according to jewish calender saturday a levitical law never to be changed was stated in early biblical history. But of course prophets are above the bible and modern day revelation justifys its ok as its the resurrection day of the lord and the whole world in blind faith wanders after the beast
of the false sabbath, false humility, false authority.
But thats ok, if cant beat them JOIN THEM. It will make you a god and have lots of wifes and eternal pro-creation.
We do love our wife's and wouldnt want to be denied by the adam/god true god of mormonism and celestial alien heaven of goggly eye greys, of not filling it up with saints of the most high god...

get on board, put your shoulder to the wheel and push along
and you will make it to one day be evolved in life or death and stand among the greys who inspired the great temples of doom.
Lovely creatures they are really except when they abduct and experiment sexually with us he he..

larry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.