Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 08:20PM

Sending in the resignation letter generally occurs only at the end of a looooong road of anguished disillusionment.

Do you know anyone who ever told the church within the 30-day waiting period, "On second thought, I don't want to resign after all?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous Guy 1000 ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 08:59PM

The next question is, If anyone does change their mind does any sanctions happen to them for attempting to resign?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 08:59PM

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 09:06PM

Call me cynical, but I think the 30-day waiting period is just the church's last chance to jerk the resigner's chain. It puts the church in the role of an authority, and the resigner in the role of a supplicant.

Posted by: Elise ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 09:09PM

This reminds me of Bell's policy. In order to cancel the internet, you need to give them 30-day notice. Of course, this is just their way of milking more money out of their unsuspecting customers. Coincidence? I think not.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 10:03PM

Somebody on another board once told me that the church wants to give people time to be sure about their "request" (in reality, decision) - as if they weren't already sure! After all, they reasoned to me, "it's a big decision!"

Also, it was further explained to me, sometimes mental illness causes people to make poor decisions, so the bishop or whoever has to make sure the individual knows what they're doing. Because, "it's a BIG decision!"

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 11:05PM

They'll dunk em as fast as they can and try to get them in before they know what they're doing.

yeah, the 30-day waiting period is just their last chance to try to exert their control. they know damn well no one is going to change their mind by the time they get to that point.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 08:41PM

Shouldnt they make the process to get in as easy as it is to leave anv vice versa? You can be baptised quicker than you can leave.

Posted by: mick ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 10:17PM

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 11:20PM

It wouldn't work with 8 year old kids.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 04:28PM

I don't consider myself a member but I'm sure the church counts me. Let me see if I can find the letter I wrote to the SP..........Ah, I'm glad I saved it.

--------------

March 5, 2005

Dear XXXXXX,
Thank you again for taking the time to meet with us last evening. I think the time spent talking together was a benefit to all. After talking further as a couple we have come to the following decision. I will allow my my name to remain on the official record of the church for the time being. However, my position has not changed. I do not believe the church is what it claims to be and I do not recognize the church as having any authority over me.
I would also like to address your concerns about the possible need for future disciplinary action against me by the church. I find it frightening that you consider it the will of the Saviour that one who speaks truth would need to be excommunicated if this truth does not coincide with current church doctrine or policy. I suppose that if I still had faith this wouldn't seem so overtly oppressive but without it, it certainly does.
I have no intention of surrendering my constitutional right to freedom of speech. Likewise I consider my freedom of religion beyond the grasp of Mormonism. I flatly reject the notion that I am not allowed to discuss my views on religion with friends and family just because those views may not be faith promoting in the eyes of the church.
I'm trying to make my position clear so there will be no misunderstandings between us and perhaps you will still feel it best to complete the process of my resignation. If so I will respect that. However, I have no plans of campaigning against the church. I have no desire to make flagrant public statements against the church. I do not feel any need to try to un-convert anybody. I have no axe to grind and I certainly will not seek confrontation or contention. If fact, I'd rather live in harmony with our neighbors. I wouldn't want anyone to feel apprehensive if I attend church to listen to *wife* sing or watch my children participate in a primary program. The last thing I would want to do is disrupt someone's devotion or worship.
Again, I am writing this letter out of concern for *wife*'s feelings. She finds great comfort in the idea that my name would still be listed as a member. It is because of my love for her that I am willing to keep my name on the records of the church. It is not because I still consider myself a member. I appreciated your candor when you expressed a desire to avoid disciplinary action in my case. I know many of the members on your high council and count them friends. I feel there are many things they could better spend their time on than holding court for me. So if you do leave my name on the record and you find fault with my actions in the future, please talk with me and I will be more than happy to finalize the resignation and avoid the hassle for all of us.

Sincerely,
Me

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 05:43PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:25PM

So it was your love and respect for your wife that stopped you from breaking off from the church entirely. Furthermore, you found a way to stay on the roster (as DW wished) without compromising your own beliefs. Kudos to you!

I'm sure that many readers will benefit by learning of your approach here.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:05PM

Yes, I know someone who did. She went back and forth for a few months and finally resigned. Even the pamphlet that came with the dodge letter freaked her out, though she's totally out now.

Posted by: exBP ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:51PM

by sending in her letter to resign. When the stake sent the package in and we got the brochure from Dodge called "An Invitation" my wife emailed the SP and told him she changed her mind just to see what would happen (DW and myself are terrible jokesters). The SP sprung into action and said he called the COB and "intercepted" her package and stopped the process. He then suggested DW meet with the Bishop. Two years later, my wife and 2 step kids just got their names off for good. For some reason, I get some sick, twisted delight out of playing these fools.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.