Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mick ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 11:58PM

Well lets see what lame mormon names we can all come up with.

I'll start it off. My best friend went out with a mormon girl called Charity, but what was even worse was her sister's name Chastity. Chastity? Really, who the hell names their kid Chastity? Could you imaging being in high school and having the name Chastity? You might as well just call your self F**K Me Please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:06AM

Are you old enough to remember Cher? She named her daughter Chastity back in the late 60s. I'll bet they got the name from her. Not that there aren't a lot of bad Mormon names and I sure would n't name my kid Chastity, but I doubt this is Mormon related.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 08:49AM

And Cher's daughter Chastity is now a man named Chaz.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:25AM

My Lay

Seriously. I'm not sure how she spells it - she's a friend of my cousin's daughter. But she is going to hate her name next year when she hits Junior high - if she doesn't already. IMO, it leaves Chastity in the dust.

Date: November 22, 2010 12:27AM

I knew a girl years ago who was named Chasity with one T missing. I don't think she had any problems. She was one of the cool kids, but still. I wouldn't do that to a kid. My Lay is pretty bad too. I wonder what some people are thinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 01:11AM by bona dea.

Posted by: dino ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:56AM

A family came into the museum where I work, their kids names were Ruth, Isaiah, and Zion. Zion..,WTF??? Poor kid. They weren't mormon, I know because the guy was wearing a "Walk on Water Youth Ministry" sweater. Were I not working we could have had an interesting conversation. As far as mormon names, I know a girl name Makeeba, she is a mormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 12:57AM by dino.

Date: November 22, 2010 12:58AM

Didn't Grace Slick name her daughter God? I think she changed after some thought. I hope so.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:36AM

I know Grace and she was just messing with press. Her daughter's name is China. The whole God child thing was one of Grace's smart ass jokes.

Date: November 22, 2010 01:39AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know Grace and she was just messing with press.
> Her daughter's name is China. The whole God child
> thing was one of Grace's smart ass jokes.

I knew she changed it but I couldn't remember to what. I did think she was serious for a short time about God though.Regardless, I'm glad she changed it.

Posted by: rallychild ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:07AM

haha "Chastity" ironically sounds like the name of a stripper... :)

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:15AM

One of my friends (now just a FB friend. Knew her about 20 years ago) kids named their new baby boy Brigham. That has got to be one of the worst names ever!

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:24AM

They were not in Utah. They lived in the Midwest. I'm sure that kid learned how to use his fists growing up. Imagine some kid named "Brigham" coming over to pick up your daughter for a date. Fail.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:13AM

Nephi, Ammon, Lehi, Heleman, Moroni, Enoch, LeGrand, Lamont, Jarom, Sariah, Enos and Lamoni. To name a few. Oh, and I have actually known mormons with eaxh of those names

Date: November 22, 2010 01:14AM

luckychucky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nephi, Ammon, Lehi, Heleman, Moroni, Enoch,
> LeGrand, Lamont, Jarom, Sariah, Enos and Lamoni.
> To name a few. Oh, and I have actually known
> mormons with eaxh of those names
I kind of like Sariah, but the others are pretty bad

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:35AM

La-anything
Ja-anything

Date: November 22, 2010 01:41AM

There is always Mohonri Moriancumur and Teancum. I actually knew a girl named Asenath after the wife of Joseph in the OT. She went by CC although how she got that from Asenath, I don't know.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:03AM

A friend in my ward named her baby that - in FLORIDA. They just shortened it to "T" so it actually turned out to be kind of a cool name.

But I always wondered what his teachers thought when they saw his full name on the first day of school?? How would they even begin to know how to pronounce it? "Teen-Cum." WTF??

Poor kid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 11:04AM by shannon.

Date: November 22, 2010 12:09PM

Teen-cum. What an awful, stupid thing to do to an insecure junior high kid.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:42AM

Well, I don't know much abotu just christian names. But I think its kinda sad when people try to be "cute" or funny when naming their child.

Some people don't really THINK in this matter. Maybe a cool/cute name is ok for a dog, but this is your child, who will have to LIVE with this name.

Here are some REAL names I've heard of:

Ima Stone
Robin Banks
Donald Druck (sounds like Donald Duck)
Robin Hood (I actually knew him in high school)

Or a famous person's name just because the parents have the same surname. For example, I honestly KNEW a kid in elementary named "Michael Jackson"!!

Or name them after a famous serial killer, which some admirers of scary movies will do.

Its really no laughing matter. People don't think for one minute that maybe one day their kid will want to run for a government office. Or be a cop (a serial killer name?). Or apply for a job. Or apply for a LOAN, or college. What if they need to apply for a job at a bank (Robin Banks?? You might scare a teller to death handing them a deposit slip with that name on it). People really, really limit their childs ability to be taken seriously in the world when they give them a joke-like, cute, or pun name. Half the time, their applcations could be thrown in the trash, because somebody will think its a joke. Or if they make an important phone call to someone and give their name, or try to do a custom order order the phone. The person on the other end could think its a prank.

So sad.

Date: November 22, 2010 08:54AM

Did you hear about the couple who named their kids after Nazis?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/04/nj_court_may_rule_on_couple_wh.html

Their son's name is Adolf Hitler Campbell.

Posted by: mireille ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:55AM

The children were removed from the custody of their parents in the last year and an appellate court refused to return them. The parents are unemployed and have some (unspecified) psychological problems. I'm hoping the kids are in a good home and maybe had their names changed.

Date: November 22, 2010 12:12PM

I was 10 or 11 at the time, and I remember asking my mother if they were aware of the bank robber and killer of the same name. She said "I guess they just really want to name their kid Jesse James." Do people even think at all? I would never do that to my kid.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:23PM

A girl in my 10 year old ds class at school is named Robin Hood. Stupid parents. At least with a girl she has the option of changing it when she marries.

Posted by: ex missionary ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:46AM

Someone's already said this one but I did once meet a Mahonri.

Posted by: Annonyforthis ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 01:52AM

I had a sister- and brother-in-law that named their baby Cap.

Cap.

Makes me wonder if the next babies born were named shirt, sock, and/or pants. Start with the head and name the rest of the litter accordingly to create a wardrobe.

There were a couple of nephews with the names Brigham and Moroni.

Date: November 22, 2010 02:01AM

When I was at the UofU years ago, there was a student named Merry Christmas.I agree that it is cruel to give kids a name that will get them teased.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 02:36AM

Someone I've met a few times has a son named hinckley.

Date: November 22, 2010 09:56AM

I know a woman in her 40s whose first name is Hinckley. Yep, a relative, lives in Utah County.

Date: November 22, 2010 09:58AM

Non-Mormon weird name: The girls' vice principal at my high school in Texas was named "Wana Hickey." Her husband's name was Ed and he taught shop. No lie.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 05:51AM

This goes under Lame Names in General - the son & DIL of a family friend named their son Horace Percival. Seriously, WTF were they thinking . . . the boy is going get his a** kicked every day in school.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 05:59AM

I also think its cheesey when Mormons witht he last name Smith name their son Joseph....

I'm always like... Wow, that's one heck of a cry for attention.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 06:19AM

My fiance's family knew someone who intentially spelled out J.E.S.U.S.C.H.R.I.S.T. with the first letter of each of their kid's names. I wish I was joking. Not Mormon, but ridiculous all the same. 11 kids all with a not very funny explanation of why they have ten siblings and the name.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 07:25AM

As a TBM, the comments on this thread offend me. They also offend my kids Brigham, Hyrum, Nephi, Coriantumr, Brother of Coriantumr, Daniel C. Peterson, Deserette, Zelph, Shiz, and Blood Atonement.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:32AM

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 08:17AM

and there's one mormon family that has two sons named Coster and Cutler. :::bangs head on table:::

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 08:19AM

Check out the notwithoutmyhandbag.com
Gotta wonder what the hell people are thinking when they name their kids. yikes.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 08:48AM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:10AM

Did you guys know that Moffet/Moffat, which is a popular surname in Utah is code for LDS

Discount the vowels, the consonants are one alphabet letter before LDS. The pioneers were quite fond of secret codes, handshakes, etc., and had to hide in plain sight.

Posted by: rosered ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:35AM

We know people who have twin boys... Spencer and Gordon.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:51AM

I don't know if it is MORmON related, but I have a TBM cousin by the name of Dorkous Swallow. Poor Girl!

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 10:14AM

We moved away from Utah a few months ago. There was a family in "the ward" whose daughters were named Precious, Eternity and Celestial. The son's name was Dartanian.

Posted by: Virg ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 10:55AM

I have cousins named Moroni and Ezra. My mom tells me I had a friend in Sunbeams named Nephita. Now that's pretty bad. On the other hand, theres names that are the opposite of being lame or Mormon. A girl I went to church with became atheist while attending school in Utah a few years back... she now has 2 kids named Damien and Judah.lol

Posted by: summer kites ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:34AM

My dh's kids in Utah have a lot of friends with "McDonalds" names, as we jokingly call them.

Mc-this and Mc-that.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:42AM

...I've seen this so many times it's crazy.

Also, I know a Janet that is pronounced Jeanette.
LaVerl, LaRae, LaMarl - all men (and I speak French so the feminine "la" at the beginning of the name strikes me as funny).
Lehi from my mission who left the morg; many names from the BoM who have since left and somehow keep their name (maybe it was their name that made them leave).

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:52AM

Nephi.

Every time I hear the name I cringe and feel sorry for the poor kid.

Stunted

Date: November 22, 2010 11:54AM

The name Nephi always makes me think of Nehi sodas...

Posted by: dino ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:01PM

Talking to my cousin last night, apparently in her ward there is an a girl whose name is pronounced ab-sid-e and a boy whose name is pronounced es-pin. They are spelled abcde and espn.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:11PM

Not Mormon because my mother's ancestry was Episcopalian. Mother's mother's maiden name was Legg. In her ancestry there was a Harry Legg. Not kidding!

Also, somewhere in this genealogy there was an Adam Baum.

Posted by: montereybay ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:13PM

One of my friends from high school is a complete TBM and comes from a crazy TBM family. He just named his son Hinckley. Poor child.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:23PM

I went to school with a few girls named chastity, and none of them were mormon. In fact, there weren't a ton of mormons in my school to begin with.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:33PM

Based on BBC, it seems like the new trend is to give your baby son a name that really sounds like an occupation:

Gunner
Tanner
Shooter
Trapper
etc.

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 12:33PM

Nephews named Jarom Moroni, Joshua Malachi,and Jacob Nephi.
My dd has friends named Ammon and Brigham.

I went to college with a girl named Johnny Angel, just like in the song. Her grandmother was named Johnny and her mother was going to name her kid Johnny, be it girl or boy. Mother married a man whose last name was Angel and that is how she got a daughter named Johnny Angel.

And having nothing to do with Mo'ism, but just plain awful...my cousin's last name is Dick!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.