Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomo1985 ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 10:07PM

Another question from a nevermo. I hope you all don't mind all of my questions!

I was reading the post about "what did you change after you left the mormons", and several people mentioned no longer layering their clothes. Why is that? Do mormons "layer" because they are covering the garments and also trying to be modest? Or is there some other reason?

And, why do so many people mention getting rid of white underclothes (not referring to garments) and buying colored bras/underwear? Is it because white bras and underwear are more "pure" or something?

Sorry if these are ridiculous questions!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: allicat ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 10:09PM

I think white underwear/bras were less noticeable with temple garments. Colorful underwear is a symbolic throwing off of the old, limiting white underwear.

Layering clothing is, I guess, for modesty mostly. In my brief time with the church I was layering skirts on top of shorts to try to get them to be the right length, wearing leggings with everything, longsleeved ts under short sleeved ones (although I still do this when it looks cute).

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 10:18PM

It's a ridiculous look and I only see it with Mormons. To me it's almost as silly as wearing a tshirt under a bikini just so you can wear the bikini...but still be modest of course.

The women on Sister Wives wear this look too.

Posted by: allicat ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 10:19PM

The Sister Wives ladies have awful fashion taste even for Mormons or mormonish or whatever they are.

I refuse to wear a tank top with a longsleeve shirt. What's the freakin point?!! Sometimes if its really cold though my tshirt isn't cutting it without something under it.

Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 02:53AM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who saw all 4 of those ladies and thought the same things. Yes when your a garment wearing Mormon you end up layering often to try and make your clothing more modest or at least quit having your garmies poking out the top or sleeves.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 08:47AM

...who would layer three different colored tank tops. It was her look. It was odd, but it made it fun when she'd do a slow striptease.

Meanwhile, Mormon layering can also be about hiding the LACK of garments.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 04:25PM

Especially cool if you layered a few tanks under an off-the-shoulder mesh cut-off shirt.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 09:17AM

I frequently layered a white undershirt under my normal shirt so that if I bent over my garments would not show and to cover my cleavage.

Layering the shirts became especially popular when low rise pants came out. In order to cover our butt crack when we bend over, the long undershirts closed the gap.

When I took of my garments I bought every single color of underwear except white. While wearing garments we have no color choice and very few (like 3 or 4) fabric choices.

For me it was about CHOICE! I especially LOVE my black lace bra and panties, and I know my TBM husband secretly does too!

Also, Stray Mutt is correct - sometimes layering hides that fact that we are not wearing garments. When I was still active and in the RS presidency, you better believe I was layering to hide the fact that I was not wearing garments.

If any women out there need help hiding the fact that you are not wearing garments, down east basics, sells undershirts with cap sleeves and lines in the back that semi-resemble the garment lines (not the square back, but round).

Posted by: newfreedom ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 11:06AM

Dang! I wished I would of thought of layering shirts to hide not wearing garments. It was so hot during the summers to wear garments.

I layered shirts to make my clothes more modest. Between my height and the low rise jeans, most shirts would show my garments if I bent over, even just a little.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 03:43PM

Wouldn't layering shirts to hide a lack of garments in hot weather defeat the purpose of trying to stay cool?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 03:48PM

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 04:40PM

@Cheryl, don't they still have the mesh? Those saved me from heat stroke in the Japanese summers when I was a Mormo Mercenary.

@Stray, I was responding to the specific heat related comment above mine.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 05:35PM

I never wore garmies and am way out of date on the subject. I should probably let others answer these questions.

Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 05:41PM

They still had mesh 2 years ago when I last bought some. I really hated them though. I also hate the drisilque? The slippery stuff. Yeah those were awful. I always bought maternity tops because they were longer and wouldn't come untucked so easily. Everyone kept trying to get me to pay more for that new caranessa style but I was already bleeding money trying to be a good TBM.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 05:51PM

My TBM sister doesn't seem to care if her garments show or not. They are always hanging out of the bottom of her shirts, or an inch or two above her neckline. If they hang out of the bottom of her shorts she could care less. I think it's kinda weird, and it makes her look a little crazy, but whatever.

Posted by: nicole456 ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 04:21AM

Ugh, thank you for reminding me of a YW lesson we had where we learned how to layer and to be extra sure, stretch our undershirts (as in grabbing the top and bottom and pulling to make them longer) I always thought to be modest you had to have a tucked in undershirt so no midriff would ever accidentally show.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.