Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 10:15AM

80% of mormons pay tithing.
And I think S. Bensen mentioned a statistic of 70 something %.

I'd like to know where they are getting these numbers.
First of all, did they interview the FOURTEEN MILLION MEMBERS, or just make an estimate of the ones who go to church. That would cut the percentage down to about 33% even if all those people were full tithe payers.

Second---anyone who has had anything to do with finances in the church knows that you are lucky if 25% of your sunday-going members pay a full tithe. And many of the poor wards and branches are lucky if there are two or three full tithe payers at all.

So, maybe they counted anyone who donated anything to the church as a tithe payer. But even so, 90% is far too high.

What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 10:18AM

But did they say 80% of members pay a FULL tithing? It's all about the wording..

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 10:25AM

Members? or active TBM members?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 10:56AM

It depends, there are 14 million members when it is convenient for the church to have 14 million members, and only five million or so when it is necessary for them to have realistic internal numbers. Kind of like how a ward with only 20 percent active, can have a hundred percent home teaching with no HT companionship having more then two families to visit.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 01:00PM

My stepson is the money handler for his ward in NYC. There are about 600 people in his ward. He mentioned he just got done with the year end paper work. Said it wasn't too bad. Only 90 people paid tithing. I'm sure that include the little kids paying on birthday money. I found that to be very interesting.He lives in Manhattan. He wouldn't tell me how much the top payer paid. He's a great secret keeper. He'll probably climb the church ladder

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 02:23PM

I don't believe for one bit that 80% of members pay tithing. Maybe 80% of those with a TR pay tithing, but that's only maybe 20 to 30% of the members anyhow, I think.

It's more likely most of the members are inactive and don't even attend, let alone pay tithing.

Posted by: holger danske ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 03:21PM

I wasn't supposed to see this, but yesterday I peeked over another member's shoulder in SS and saw their tax info that the bishopric has been handing out as the end of the year statement (my favorite part is at the bottom where it states that "members get no real benefits from this--just intangible spiritual benefits"--made me laugh. Intangible because they're spiritual, surely, but also intangible as in non-existent).

Long story short, the amount of this guy's "donation" was $18,900 or something along those lines. Made me feel stupid about complaining about my meager $4-5K per year (naturally, if I made $189K/year, I'd surely be able to survive better off of the $170K left over). I think the big wigs who are in up to their necks pay, and the little people on the poorer end of the scale end up struggling to make ends meet with their "intangible spiritual benefits".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.