Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cala ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 01:20PM

my DH is an exmo. I asked him the other night if perhaps JS and BY banned tea and coffee to keep their flock from spending on extras. I mean, not like they had swiss miss or carnation back then :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dk ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 01:28PM

I don't remember the reason I was given when a member (you may be correct). On the other hand, tea and coffee do have health benefits and are better than sugary sodas. They require boiling water, which was helpful when clean water wasn't always available.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 02:14PM

There was a belief by the Dr's of that time that hot liquids were bad for your internal organs. Even hot soup. The coffee and tea is a mormon invention.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 02:16PM

This business about tea and coffee was part of the times and the Temperance Movement.
Also, they didn't understand the necessity of boiling water.
Some think soda is part of the D&C 89 but it is not.

Remember, D&C 89 says: "hot drinks" and it was not written as a commandment. That didn't come into play until the 1920's to 1930's. About that time, it ended up in the temple recommend questions.

Mormons will continue to interpret what they think it all means as the Word of Wisdom is not written in such a way that it can be lived or followed in any exactness with any common sense, at least not today. Some will live "The Spirit of the Law", and others will be very strict and fanatical, and try to live the "Letter of the Law" excluding all kinds of foods and drinks that are not mentioned.

Then the prophets and leaders will issue their opinions that members will take or leave.

I doubt most people have a clue what it really says. Read it!

http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/89?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 02:17PM by SusieQ#1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.