Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 01:04PM

In another thread, Notmo posted the following:

"Timothy constantly inserts himself in a rude manner in posts on the subject of Christianity because he hates those who believe in God; therefore my rudeness to him is justified."

Alrighty, I'm hoping for christians on this board to either agree or disagree that Notmo is JUSTIFIED in being rude to Timothy because he supposedly HATES CHRISTIANS.

See, I've read everything jesus had to say and I'm pretty sure he taught the exact OPPOSITE of this. Maybe I'm trippin'.

Your comments are much appreciated. The question on the table is: Does jesus justify christians who are rude to people who don't like them?

Edit: Follow question: Does jesus justify christians who are rude to people who are rude to them?

I'm pretty sure I read something about turning the other cheek but maybe that was in mormon's book...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 01:06PM by kolobian.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 01:09PM

I'm not much of a Christian anymore (more agnotic) but I did have to take daily religion classes in 12 years of Catholic school, so here goes:

I don't recall Jesus saying anything about rudeness; he was more concerned about the poor, etc. I don't believe rudeness was a major concern 2,000 years ago. :-) However, he did say that one of the two greatest commandments is "Do unto to others as you would have them do unto you...." Kind of hard to get around that one.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 01:16PM

Notmo has the mormon persecution complex.

I could say that notmo hates America since his ideas are anti-American.

Posted by: hobblecreek ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 01:21PM

“But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also”

“But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?”

I'm having a little trouble seeing where rudeness to jerks is justified in those passages. Maybe there's something in Joseph Smith translation of the Bible about it. One of those plain and precious truths that were taken out of the Bible, like the story of the 11 apostles kicking Judas to death as punishment for his betrayal of Jesus.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 01:36PM

According to Notmo"s post about justified rudeness, he would probably be more comfortable with ancient Judaism and an eye for an eye.

His words are not in concert with proper Christian response.

We do seem to be using two different definitions of rudeness in this discussion though.

Webster's defines it as extreme impoliteness, but my take here is that it is being used to mean "not agreeing with me", "questioning me" or expecting me to back up my statements".

It also could be veering into "Please respect my belief in imaginary friends" and I can't find that in the dictionary.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 01:43PM

Ok, thanks for your input friends.

Basically we learned what I suspected all along: Notmo isn't really a christian.

There are real christians on the board like Honestone who actually pays attention to, and shares, the words attributed to jesus in the bible.

Then there are those who like to call themselves christian but not act like it. I prefer conversations with folks like Honestone, personally. At least she's consistent.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 01:59PM

... whenever he/she/it is inclined.

Notmo has no more belief or faith in Gawd or JuHEEsus than I as evidenced by his/her/its remarks:

"Timothy constantly inserts himself in a rude manner in posts on the subject of Christianity because he hates those who believe in God; therefore my rudeness to him is justified."

Indeed, the mythical JuHEEsus did say to turn the other cheek, love your enemies and all that other new-age hippy bulls**t. Look what that got him. According to the myths written about mythical JuHEEsus, he got brutally beaten then savagely murdered as a result of being such a super nice guy.

F**k that!

Christians, like mormons, make it up as they go along. No one really believes. They're just caught-up in a fairy tale and get mad whenever folks don't want to join in the fun or **gasp** challenge their delusion.

Notmo is entirely justified in being rude -- or childish -- because there is no Gawd or JuHEEsus to punish him/her/it for doing so.

Just wish notmo would come to grips with that reality instead of relying on some made-up scriptural reference.

Place yer bets!

Timothy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 02:13PM by Timothy.

Posted by: pamarnold ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 04:11PM

I am somewhat new to this board. Maybe a month. I cannot tell you exactly who has been derogitory in their remarks because I just do not pay that much attention to "who", but I can tell you that I have felt rudeness to those who still profess some sort of belief in something. Being called delusional is insulting. I do not know that science will ever disprove the God theory, but it does NOT now. So I will stick to faith in believing in something. I know I wasn't delusional when I saw my grandparents together after my grandma passed away. I saw them. That doesn't mean I have all the answers to what goes on after this life. I am open to all possibilities. So I do not preach to the atheists and I expect the same in return. Just because we can say something....does not make it ok to do so. The Christians can see daily how the non religious are trying to take God out of everything. It is opposite of what was done in the crusades (well...maybe except for killing), why can't we just COEXIST as the bumper sticker says? Let's put on our big boy panties and think of how others might feel.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 04:27PM

because I wanted to see her. I was desperate to see her, missed her horribly, desperately, and I saw a lot of older women in red jackets that made me start and feel like I'd just seen her.

I actually doubt you really did see your grandparents physically together after their deaths. That just doesn't happen. When you're dead, you're dead, your bodies are no more. That's reality, painful, but that's it, and it's very hard to accept the finality of death. I think you imagined seeing them because it felt good to imagine them together. People comfort themselves however they can.

People delude themselves all the time about all kinds of things, and when they do it a lot, they're called delusional, right? When you make a claim like that, people are not going to believe you.

Talk about putting on big boy/girl panties - Rational adults don't believe in ghosts, fairies, Santa or the tooth fairy. Fantasy is fantasy, reality is real.

Date: February 01, 2012 04:41PM

Pamarnold wrote:

"Let's put on our big boy panties and think of how others might feel."

Right! ...Tell that to the LGBT community the next time mormons, catholics and christian fundies band together militantly in the name of their mythical Gawd and his mythical son JuHEEsus to deprive said community its equal station when it comes to, say, marriage or serving in the military.

And what do you call belief in a invisible sky daddy who only shows-up when you can't find your car keys? I'm sure those poor folks who had to jump from towers 1 and 2 to avoid burning to death on 9/11/2001 had a word for it just before they went **splat** ...

No one complains when believers don't try to push their beliefs.

For your reading pleasure:

"Mormonism is a form of Christianity and religion so, for some people, recovery from mormonism will also include leaving Christianity or religion altogether. This does not mean that Christians or the discussion of Christianity are discouraged here. Far from it! This site is Christian-friendly. It is not, however, Christian-safe. Do not assume that everyone here will share your beliefs; other posters can and will disagree with and challenge what you say. If you decide that you need a site that is Christian-safe as well, we can recommend some places."

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,45,45#msg-45

Most are here because they could no longer "respect" certain religious beliefs.

The title says it all.

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 04:46PM by Timothy.

Date: February 01, 2012 05:24PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 05:27PM by serena.

Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 04:36PM

WHY does everyone keep saying Santa is not real?

Date: February 01, 2012 05:26PM

I haven't believed in Santa since age 5 or 6. Even so, there was a present from the Big Man under my tree last Christmas just as every such celebration before.

Santa delivers whether you believe in him or not.

Can't say the same for Gawd, JuHEEsus and religion.

Timothy

Date: February 01, 2012 04:36PM

There you go....you just proved my point. I never thought I would see my grandparents together. They were divorced and hated each other. I didn't give all the details so do not rationalize them away. You have NO idea.

Date: February 01, 2012 04:40PM

M. Night Shamalan just makes movies - they're not real. Ghosts are not real.

Geez, paranoid and delusional - one more and you'll be the triple threat!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 04:42PM

Sorry to butt in but I GOTTA GOTTA ask.

Did you used to be on AOL?
Is your mom's name Dee?

Date: February 01, 2012 04:47PM

No, not on AOL. This is my real name since I have nothing to hide and do not say anything to humiliate my name.

Date: February 01, 2012 04:54PM

My point was that we should not be derogitory to others beliefs and most especially to their personal experiences. The only way I am still in a somewhat higher power experience is because of that experience. I also had another experience when I deliverd my first child. I might be able to rationalize that one away because I had been pushing for 3 1/2 hours and was on the brink of totally losing it. The other experience I cannot. I wasn't in a state of emotional demise. So it is absolutely insulting to me. This cannot certainly be ok with this boards guidlines. Lay off. If you want to set a good example to members who come on this board for help and guidance then quit calling people delusional. I have been out for a year, but if I was newly out I would think you are all a bunch of unhappy mean people.

Date: February 01, 2012 05:14PM

I'm not here to set examples or present a happy, shiney facade. That's for mormons and other religionists.

Most folks have had experiences they cannot explain. That doesn't mean god exists. It only means that the person who had the experience can't explain it.

As for respecting beliefs, I have no respect for anyone who believes god hates homosexuals or blacks or sinners or whatever. A god who hates is not worthy of my respect. Same goes for his followers.

Timothy

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 05:36PM

pamarnold

google pareidolia

read the whole thing on Wiki - you'll find your answers there

Date: February 01, 2012 04:44PM

This should be interesting!

Timothy

Date: February 01, 2012 04:48PM

Lack of evidence, after all, doesn't mean that there's no evidence... "I believe because I believe because I believe. Now shaddap or I'll hit you upside the head with my Bible!"

Not really, I's just kidding, Big Tim...

Date: February 01, 2012 04:50PM

Date: February 01, 2012 04:51PM

... mother-scratcher!

Why I oughta ...

Oh, well, hardy, har, har!

TO THE MOON, SERENA!

Timothy

Date: February 01, 2012 05:00PM

In my TBM belief at the time I really honestly did not think they would be together. I though he was probably in spirit prison and she was in the part of the spirit world where mean hurtful people go.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 04:56PM

So long as certain atheists can be rude, demanding of proof and condecending, I don't think it is fair to jimp on believers when they respond in the same way. Just a thought. Another point is that religion demands faith and proof isn't there. It does not necessarily follow that the religious are necessarily wrong about everything.

Date: February 01, 2012 05:08PM

Anyone who comes onto this board and says something off the wall shouldn't comfort themselves that others here will necessarily be respectful of it.

I saw a UFO in 1998, in broad daylight. No one else that I know of did. I saw something extremely, blindingly bright floating in the air above United Hospital - it hovered for about 5 seconds, then abruptly took off very swiftly, at a slant, out of sight. I have no idea what I saw, but I couldn't identify it. However, I am not ready to say it was an alien spaceship. I'm not packing to go with them the next time they come. I don't expect to see something like this again, but I'm neither going off half-cocked about it. I attribute nothing to it, and it could have been some abnormality with my eyes.

I don't think it was probably anything. I'd been staring for hours at a computer screen and happened to look out the window beside me.

See, this is how a rational mind works.

Date: February 01, 2012 05:19PM

... it was an object, it was flying and you could not identify it. That would be a UFO.

Seems reasonable to me.

I'm just wondering how some folks translate it to mean god exists.

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 05:28PM by Timothy.

Date: February 01, 2012 05:16PM

I have a rational mind, thank you very much and I do not buy everything or even most of what believers say, but that does not mean I have to behave like an obnoxious asshole and demand that they prove something that they take on faith and accuse them of rudeness for responding to my obnoxious comments in a less than polite manner. How about simply disagreeing and doing so in a civil way?At the very least, don't expect them to be polite if you aren't

Date: February 01, 2012 05:26PM

And another thing .....serena....just because I believe in something....doesn't mean I believe in everything. I do not judge the homosexual movement! I support it whole heartedly. I would rally and get my butt out there to defend them with my own life. So don't ASSume you know anything about me. You have just judged me based on what? That I had a spirit or two come to me. How old are you? 12!
I do not believe the Bible word for word. I take the good things from it aqnd apply it to my life. I also do that with other literature. I do not believe that the earth is under 8 thousand years old. I believe in a blended view of creation/evolution and guess what? That is ok. I do not need you to keep insulting my inteligence. Grow some balls on you. Try thinking outside the usual norms. Not everyone believes like you do.

Date: February 01, 2012 05:29PM

A spirit or two came to you?

How old are you? 12?

Perhaps if you learned to spell intelligence you wouldn't find my remarks so insulting.

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 05:46PM by Timothy.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 05:46PM

"Grow some balls on you. Try thinking outside the usual norms. Not everyone believes like you do."

Isn't that what people seem to be trying to get you to do? You seem quite stubborn in your beliefs and don't seem to like when people question them.

Or as others have said... Pot, met Kettle...

Date: February 01, 2012 05:28PM

Your manners suck. You've not-so-indirectly called me an obnoxious asshole too damn many times, and I've had enough. Do it just one more time, and I'm going to report to to Admin. Enough is enough. I don't give a good god damn if you disagree with anything I say, but you've not getting away with it again.

Look, just because you're not using four-letter words does NOT make you or what you say "civil". Nasty, sour, paranoid, vindictive, but not civil.

Don't do it anymore. Don't hunt me down and call me an asshole ever again. You've done it way, way too many times.

Am I clear on this? Subtlety is clearly wasted on you.

Date: February 01, 2012 05:33PM

I was talking about 'some atheists' and I did not specify you in any way.In fact, I made my original comment with another poster in mind. You chose to reply to me and implied that I don't have a rational mind. Maybe I should report you. You certainly give me plenty of ammunition particularly with you vendetta against a certain poster.Pot meet kettle.

Date: February 01, 2012 05:40PM

These supposedly generalized foul name callings follow my posts. I haven't kept count, but I know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Date: February 01, 2012 05:46PM

Get over yourself, dear. You follow one poster around with one rude comment after another, but get offended when someone says some atheists act like assholes? Wow.I already told you who I was referring to. Some atheists here as well as some non atheists do act like assholes. I wasn't specifically referring to you, but, as they say, "If the shoe fits.."

Date: February 01, 2012 05:35PM

That way she's not responsible for anything she says and can put a twist on any conversation.

Timothy

Date: February 01, 2012 05:38PM

Just os you know, my original comment was made mostly with you in mind. Niothing passive aggressive about that. I was thinking of you, not Serena so she can get over her paranoia.

Date: February 01, 2012 05:42PM

How refreshing.

Now, if you can just learn to mount a reasonable argument ...

Timothy

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 05:30PM

I've been reading the board for about 4 years now. Over that time, I've seen the tenor of the board get much more hostile, nasty even. Much of it seems unwarranted and there are a few posters who are recurringly hostile.

My observation is that if you post about being atheist or agnostic, you are less likely to receive hostile responses than if your post indicates that you are a believing Christian.

Like Rodney King said "Can't we all just get along" (and not be jerks in the process of recovering from Mo-ism)?

Date: February 01, 2012 05:35PM

+1. You can disagree without being an asshole. Note to Serena. This was directed at anyone who feels the need to be insulting, not to you specifically.

Date: February 01, 2012 05:37PM

Date: February 01, 2012 05:37PM

Been here since the late 1990s. Today's RFM is a cake-walk compared to what it was back then.

Timothy

Date: February 01, 2012 05:33PM

Just for some clarification....these threads are not ending up in the spots they belong. My last comment should be applied to Tim, but when I get on my personal e-mail it came up that you said it serena.. I don't know what I am doing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.