Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: smeagol ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 07:38PM

I'm just returning to report my first experience with wine at a restaurant. DW and I went to a nice Italian place downtown (SL). I looked around and about half the people had some sort of seltzer water and the other half had wine on the table. There was only one other man wearing a white shirt (besides me) and I knew he was mormon. I must have looked like a bishopric member with my white shirt, tie, and dark jacket. DW did wear a sleeveless dress though (Yes!!!). It is a dress she normally wears to church with a cardigan over it.

Anyway, the waiter asked us, "Would you like to select from our wine list?" I said "yes." and DW nodded. He asked what kind of wine we would like and I asked him to wait until we order our food so he did. After ordering, I asked that he suggest a good wine and he asked, "What kind of taste do you like?" DW and I looked at each other and shrugged. DW said, "This is our first time." He looked very surprised and said he would go ask someone in back to recommend something.

We both ended up with slightly varied white wines and had a marvelous time. I didn't notice anything different besides the wine was pretty weird and it made me really concentrate on the taste of the food after I would sip it. I think it became easier to talk. That is what happened after I had a mojito - easier for me to talk to people. DW said she felt a little loopy. We each just had one glass.

All in all, I would have to say it rounded out the meal and made it feel nice. I liked it. Nothing really amazing or crazy but it just made a nice romantic dinner. I don't remember the names of the wine we had - sorry.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 07:39PM by smeagol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 08:06PM

Good for you!

First time I had wine it was a sparkling white wine from Italy called Asti Spumanti. Oh! It was like nectar! Though it was at an Indian restaurant, the Dil Shad in Wolverhampton, in 1982, I think.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 10:52PM

"First time I had wine it was a sparkling white wine from Italy called Asti Spumanti. Oh! It was like nectar!"

Agreed, sir! I have never tasted anything quite like it. It was in Singapore last year that I had this for our Xmas dinner. Lovely all the way, would've consumed the entire bottle if there were no other guests! I'm in Thailand and it is nowhere to be found.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 08:29PM

Not really. Wine is such a lovely accompaniment to a meal.

Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 08:39PM

To me it tasted more like cough syrup.

Any wine suggestions for a newbie?

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:03PM

My wine drinking began with Fetzer Gewurztraminer. (pronounced geh VERTS truh MEEN er). Then I graduated to Chardonay, then to Pinot Noir. From there, it was "Katie, bar the door."

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:59AM

Rebecca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To me it tasted more like cough syrup.
>
> Any wine suggestions for a newbie?

Try a dessert wine, like a "Reisling" or a Nice "Port". You will out grow them soon, but they are a good place to start.

Posted by: Beavis Christ ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:07PM

Most people tend to be coming to wine from fruit juices so for them I recommend in whites the following:

Whites
-Riesling (ask if it is sweet first)
-Gewurztraminer
-Moscato

Reds
-Any concord grape-derived wine
-Moscato
-Port (very sweet)

If you're interested in general wine pairings and not afraid to drink stuff that doesn't taste super sweet, here's a list of suggested pairings.

Turkey

Red
-Merlot (pronounced mer low)
-Shiraz/syrah (same wine just spelled differently)
-Pinot Noir (pronounced pee no noir)
-Grenache
White
-Chardonnay (oaky variety)

Chicken, smaller fish, shellfish

White
-Pinto Grigio/pinot gris (same wine just spelled differently)
-Sauvignon Blanc
-Chardonnay
-Viognier

Veal, Duck, or large fish
Red
-Merlot
-Shiraz/syrah
-Grenache
-Tempranillo (pronounced temp ra neeyo)

Beef
Red (All of these wines are very strong and can be off-putting to beginners. If you don't want to try them, go with the reds above)
-Zinfandel
-Cabernet Sauvignon
-Cabernet Franc (less harsh usually)

Pork
Red
-Shiraz/syrah
-Grenache
-Merlot

White
-Vouvray
-Chenin blanc
-Viognier

For spicy dishes including pasta, it's best to keep in mind what kind of meat is in it and then select from the following:

Seafood (whites)
-Chenin blanc
-Sauvignon blanc
-Viognier

Pork, beef or duck (reds)
-Grenache
-Merlot
-Shiraz/syrah
-Tempranillo

Posted by: vinoebuono ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 08:50PM

Vino e molto buono con mangare.....la moglia e italiana....vino in nello Utah e divertente :)

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 09:50PM

Posted by: phyllis ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 10:26PM

Gewurtztraminer is a good place to start. It's sweet and fun and a good segue to other wines. My favorite one is Husch Gewurtztraminer. Two other good sweet wines are Tintero Moscato d' Asti (sweetest and it's bubbly) and Beringer White Zinfandel.

Enjoy!

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 10:45PM

Sometimes at restaurants they'll let you taste their wines, and that can be fun. Don't worry about the nervousness. That will pass! You'll be an old pro ordering wines right and left in no time. ;)

Seriously, congratulations. It's a bit scary the first time, but worth it.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 10:47PM

I know a lot of people who like white zinfandale.

Date: November 22, 2010 10:54PM

If you are embarrassed about asking, do some research or ask friends and decide before you get to the restaurant. That way you won't look like a beginner.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:10PM

If you are at a nice restaurant, someone should be there to help you with a nice pairing. What you'll want to experiment with/understand basic differences between chardonay/Pinot nior/Merlot etc. Then someone else can help you with the "details."

Date: November 22, 2010 11:13PM

Agreed, people ask for recommendations all the time. Ask' what do you recommend? or 'what goes well with this?". Just know a few basic facts or fake it. You can always say you like all kinds or you are willing to try anything.

Posted by: dino ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:59AM

I still have not tried any, I work where there is wine often, but while working I can't have any, it smells good and I want to try, but not sure where to. My girlfriend and two room mates are nevermo's, but none of them drink. (We are all of age). Honestly, I'm a little nervous because I don't know how my body will take it.

Date: November 23, 2010 01:04AM

Drink just a little the first time. One glass of wine or one mixed drink isn't going to get you sloshed. Be sure someone else is driving the first time and don't drink on an empty stomach. Another good idea is to buy some wine or whatever and try it at home where you won't have to worry about it

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:12AM

It's a nice reminder of just how different my life is now from when I was trying to be LDS.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:14AM

I'm not a fan of sweet wines.

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:18AM

My wife is TBM and has made it very clear to me that she will never tolerate any drinking from me at all. I really wish I could try wine (not beer, the smell still makes me sick...) but man, do I envy you for being able to try wine! Some day - I hope to have that first glass with her in a similar setting.

Posted by: smeagol ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:29AM

Comfortably Numb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My wife is TBM and has made it very clear to me
> that she will never tolerate any drinking from me
> at all. I really wish I could try wine (not beer,
> the smell still makes me sick...) but man, do I
> envy you for being able to try wine! Some day - I
> hope to have that first glass with her in a
> similar setting.

This breaks my heart to hear this. I'm sorry. I feel a little bad for bragging about my experience.

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:45AM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:35AM

Good for you. Did you get laid afterwards? ;)

Ron

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:51AM

... was beer!

Some BBQ joint in rural Oklahoma as I recall.

This is the Gospel according to Timothy ... Beer: Its not just for wine tasting anymore!

Timothy

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 11:52AM

I like Reislings- They're sweet and mild tasting. I recommend having fish, chicken, and white sauces with white wine, but it all boils down to personal taste.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:15PM

A glass of wine with dinner really does relax a body. You are Utah pioneers in your own right!

Posted by: kestrafinn ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:34PM

Many wine shops (and some restaurants) will have wine tastings, where you can drink small samples to see if you like a particular type. It's a great way to be introduced both to the different types of wine and also some of the specific wineries out there. With the holidays here, definitely check your local paper and check websites - a lot of them will host something to increase sales.

Another great place to try is Trader Joes, if you have one near you that sells alcohol (not all do). They re-wrap bottles with their own label, but they're very inexpensive so less of a risk if you're just trying things out.

And if you buy a bottle and don't particularly like the taste for drinking, wine's also great to cook with. Add a little splash to pasta sauce, or find recipes to bake chicken in it. It creates a wonderful, deep taste.

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 12:41PM

Read the labels on the wine bottles. They will often recommend good pairings.

I remember a prticular wine (gnarly head?) that we bought 2 bottles of on a recommendation (and a coupon). When we had the first bottle without food, it sucked. We decided to take the label's suggestion, and tried it with some spicy bbq the next time we opened one. It was much better.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.