Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lily ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 04:59PM

It's really just the couple coming out of the temple, but a few things are obvious if you know about temple rules.

First, they are babies. He looks like a teenager, and so does she. He's probably a RM, and they might have known each other for as little as a few months.

Second, she comes out in her wedding dress and it's obvious that the groom hadn't seen it yet.

Then there's a lot of hugging with friends and family- most of which probably had to miss the ceremony itself.

I can't help but wonder what the bride is REALLY thinking. Probably some combination of shell shock, disappointment and guilt?

It's been up for over a month now. I wonder if she's prego yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxKGbiU2jM&feature=related

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 05:15PM

It actually is a cute video and she has a beautiful dress, especially for a temple wedding dress. Although it has the mormon capped sleeves that they all seem to have these days, but even the top has a little uniqueness to it.

However, that look on his face and his gestures when he looks at the dress like, "Wow, look at you!" is just sad. Honestly brought tears to my eyes. No one who's not in the know would realize that it means they're already married and the first time he's seeing her wedding dress is outside the stupid building. Inside it was all covered with robes, sashes, a stupid green fig leaf and she was wearing the ugliest veil imaginable. Must have really been a great feeling for him to see his bride finally looking like a bride. AFTER the wedding. So sad and brings back really icky memories. I remember looking in the eternity mirrors that I had waited my whole life to look in and trying to hold the tears back because I looked so ugly.

Date: February 07, 2012 06:13PM

Do you think she was able to wear that dress in the temple? I've never been, so I wouldn't know, but from what I have heard it's too ornate, and the sleeves are way too short. But, yeah, either way- it's the first time he gets to really "see" her in it.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 11:59PM

Nope. I got married in Hawaii so my dress was short sleeved with a lower (but still temple worthy modest!) neckline, and I had to wear this damn long sleeved cover thing over it :(

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 05:26PM

I think that was really sweet. My first husband and I had a beautiful church wedding. He cried when he saw me in my beautiful gown coming down the aisle. It was a meaningful grand wedding and then we divorced 14 years later. 2nd wedding married in 5 minutes by the bishop and it was not a meaningful ceremony. Still married to number 2 but nothing will top my first wedding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2012 05:27PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 05:34PM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 05:35PM

They looked happy enough to me although it certainly was not the type of wedding I would want.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 05:55PM

Is it just my imagination or does the groom look a lot like Warren Jeffs? Mostly I don't like the cinematography - too jumpy and artsy for a wedding video. It's like being in a nightmare of a wedding or something.

Posted by: doris ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 06:39PM

its even more sad if like me never went through the temple (my husband a non member refused his premission i was not allowed to see my beautifull daughter married stupid mormons i spent the whole time crying outside

Date: February 07, 2012 06:56PM

That's why it's so sad to me. Most of those people probably didn't see the ceremony.

Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 02:11AM

I was the only person from our side of the family to attend my son's temple wedding - and that was only because I realized that church officials don't have any more "discernment" than the Geico Gecko (probably less) and I lied through my teeth to get that temple recommend. I was already WELL on my way to leaving the church at that point.

Knowing that the rest of the family was waiting outside just made me resent the institution even more. I didn't enjoy the wedding; I thought it was a sorry excuse for a wedding and the kids didn't even know the old guy who "sealed" them. It was a cookie-cutter ceremony, not individualized in any way.

I just felt that SOMEBODY from our family should be there for our son, and when I sized things up, I figured I had the best shot at it. Talk about cynical.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 08:05PM

I felt sorry for the older people sitting on the edge of the planter. Isn't there a place for people to sit and wait?

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 09:20PM

It was a well shot video. Angles were good, people looked happy.
It looked like a normal wedding video.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 09:25PM

I think it is sad that everyone can't attend and I would not want that sort of wedding myself, but other people get to have the wedding they like. I didn't attend the weddings of any of my sisters. One went to the temple and two eloped. I was disappointed, but it was their choice and they had a right to make it. The problems is that often Morrmons would like to invite everyone, but have to choose between that and getting married in the church approved way. I do agree that no one looked sad in this video and if they are happy, it isn't my concern although it would be nice if the church didn't put people in the position of having to make a choice.

Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 10:39PM

I recall a time when that would NEVER have been allowed. Not to mention what the heck is going on with ladie's g's? lots of cleavage showing.

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 11:44PM

I think the video was longer than the actual sealing....

Posted by: somebody ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 03:32PM

so sickening.

Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 03:49PM

I just don't understand why these girls who marry in the temple waste all the money for a wedding dress when they can't even wear it to get married in...seems kind of pointless and stupid to me.

Posted by: alwaysaskingtiff ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 03:53PM

Why is it sad? Everyone seems happy to me... To each its own, including mormons :(

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 09:39PM

What a lovely group. Looked like a lot of happy people which is what a marriage is all about.
I'm one of those people who doesn't have a problem with a private ceremony. I had one. It was a very different kind of ritual, but it started me on a 50 year marriage and I have no regrets.

I'm appalled by people who find fault with other people's life choices. Our lives are ours to choose how we want to live, what we want to believe -- those are RIGHTS that I am passionate about.

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 10:06PM

I thought it was nice, photog captured some very tender moments. The groom seemed pretty "into" his bride, which was a nice change from some of the lame and cheesy wedding photos I see. And I see a lot. A lot of Lds wedding pics that look contrived and completely dorky, where its obvious they just aren't that into each other. Anyway, the only thing that seemed sort of odd was where the bride walked out after the groom from the temple? A beautiful moment, but what about walking out together, hand in hand
? Is this a new thing that couples are doing? Mormons never disappoint when it comes to hokey wedding traditions.

Also...........that brings me to a point.....in traditional weddings, bride and groom come back down the aisle together to signify their union. After a temple ceremony, you get married, and go back to separate locker rooms to change your clothes?????????? Ugh. It never sounded so weird to me before.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 10:23AM

The "person" who posted the video has deleted all comments which are "negative," as s/he put it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.