Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: madeguy ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 05:27PM

Religions have one central message, not usually stated, but resembling the following: ‘You need to improve, and you need us to help you; You’re no good as you are; Do what we say and you’ll have great reward; disobey and you go to hell.’ This seems to me to be the opposite of what church is supposed to be. Isn’t it about love, forgiveness, tolerance? If churches were really tolerant, they would love and respect people just as they are. If churches really understood love, they would love people whose beliefs and lifestyles are different.
There is something called unconditional love. This is supposed to be better than ‘regular’ love. Unconditional love is accepting of everything. Jesus was a model of unconditional love. He turned water into wine to help out his Mom at the wedding, spoke openly with a Samaritan woman, healed anyone who asked, and sat down to eat with ‘sinners’. Unconditional love is a somewhat rare quality.
What I’ve realized is that unconditional love is the only love. There is no other kind. Anything professed as ‘love’, but with conditions is not love. It is a counterfeit, professed by someone who wants you as part of their personal support system. Fail to provide what is wanted, and the ’love’ is withdrawn.
So, if it’s not unconditional love, it’s not really love at all. The purpose of religion should be to help people find unconditional love. If they’re going to stand in judgment of you for being a sinner, slacker or non-conformist, what do you need them for? You can get that anywhere.
So, has all the striving through years Mormonism improved me? When I sit quietly by myself in a dark room, eyes closed, I sense I’m exactly the same person I’ve always been. Awareness of the world is still the same. But letting go the belief that I need to improve or attain has been totally liberating. I have not devolved into evil. I exist. I am.
If I believe in a God, it is one who accepts me totally, just as I am, just as the sun shines on everyone the same, no questions asked.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mav ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 05:30PM

I have to believe it does not make junk. How can it condemn me for its creation? It knows what I am from the start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 05:32PM by mav.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 07:04PM

Precisely why I quit going to church. I kept the God part though, only God is nicer now. He is happy with me how he created me.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 07:57PM

Was the overwhelming sensation that I was completely and totally worthy and loved and that NOTHING, NOTHING at all was required in return.

I have said that to evangelicals who smile benignly and say, "That's right, all that is required is that we love the lord in return." NFW believers - that flies in the face of unconditional.

I am wanting to say to a mormon, "Will you be disappointed to run into me in what you think is going to be your celestial kingdom? Because I will be there." (And yeah, rotten people and politicians who make me crazy will be there too. Or maybe we just die and that's it - makes no difference to the concept of unconditional love.)

Posted by: gracewarrior ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 09:28PM

Had a similar realization. I realized that if God's love is unconditional.. then Mormonism is certainly false. The core doctrines of Mormonism teach that God is a conditional being.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 09:38PM

Not having a problem with sins of ommission? Those are taken care of by the Atonement, but you sins of Omission are the real barrier between you and the rewards to the faithful.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.