Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 10:40AM

Hopefully the information age is the tool needed to prevent the deception of innocent people with good intentions who want to be accepted in a social group.

Missionary work (recruiters) in a cult only works when there are uninformed people to prey on.

Milk: "We are just followers of a wonderful loving Jesus"

"We are so blessed to have modern day prophets who love us"

Meat: "You have just taken covenants (that you were not allowed to even read prior to the satanic ritual you just participated in????) that will cause your eternal damnation should you fail to give everything you have to the organization"

"Satan will have control of your soul if you dare to not obey the prophet"

Milk before the Meat doesn't work if the "potential converts" have easy free and quick access to the internet and can research/google the milk......and see that someone is dishonestly hiding the meat.

In the case of the new age of information and google I would say that it is much more difficult to decieve people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 10:47AM

I couldn't agree more. When I joined tscc 12 years ago, this board was in place, and I *still* let myself be manipulated *sigh*. Now there is a mountain of information all for the searching, and that is a real blessing! I hope it prevents scores of people from being lied to and virtually imprisoned by lesser minds who are such control freaks that any individual thought is not only discouraged, it's pretty much forbidden.

Individual thoughts= self knowledge= power= ex mormon!

Posted by: hobblecreek ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 10:56AM

+1000!

You are dead on. I feel bad now that I pressured investigators on my mission to hurry up and get baptized. Asking people to commit themselves permanently to the church on the second discussion was totally cultish. Should have been a huge warning sign.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 11:26AM

I did the same on my mission. It was a two year recruiting job to take advantage of people in desperate emotional situations.

Find vunerable people who are dying to belong to something because they have been hurt or treated badly.....how hard is that to do? Then call them the "prepared and elected by god" and flatter them into membership.

Never tell them what lies ahead. It was horrifying enough when I had to promise to kill myself in the temple so new members must be prepared first.

Makes me so sad to think of participating in a cult.

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 11:33AM

upsidedown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did the same on my mission. It was a two year
> recruiting job to take advantage of people in
> desperate emotional situations.
>
> Find vunerable people who are dying to belong to
> something because they have been hurt or treated
> badly.....how hard is that to do? Then call them
> the "prepared and elected by god" and flatter them
> into membership.
>
> Never tell them what lies ahead. It was
> horrifying enough when I had to promise to kill
> myself in the temple so new members must be
> prepared first.
>
> Makes me so sad to think of participating in a
> cult.

What bugs me is that my DH and I were not in the desperate emotional situations group when we joined. Our lives were going really well! We wanted to make it even better, lol. Yeah...that's what we thought. I have seen tscc get a lot of people in who needed some friends, any friends. Doggone shame there wasn't any real friendship involved.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.