Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: yin ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 12:47PM

Let's make a list of all the R-rated movies that members watched all the time and justified watching. These are the R-rated movies that you are likely to find in any ward member's DVD collection!

I'll start:

Total Recall
The Matrix
Slumdog Millionaire
The Last Samurai
The Shawshank Redemption
Air Force One

You guys have any more...?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 12:53PM

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 02:09PM

The Patriot
Glory (saw this at YBU)
The Gladiator
Maybe "Apocolypto" (because of the Lamanites in the movie *sarcasm)

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 02:30PM

Glory at BYU was quite edited though. I saw it there too.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 02:17PM

bought the "doctored" ones from places in Utah.

Schindler's List was another one that mormons saw.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 02:22AM

"Schindler's List." The other half of the class was slack-jawed with amazement that we admitted to it.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 03:20AM

maybe because i was never a TBM or because i was a convert to mormonism or i just missed that temple covenant but what is the big deal with mormons and r-rated movies?

i don't get it: the bible and book of mormon and even joseph smith had a small militia with guns ready to fight. also current news are full of violence (wars, killings, etc), why would they care for a little tomato sauce on the actor's shirt?

so they make such a big deal for fake blood but they are ok with the real violence?

` -
0 0
---

Posted by: helios ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 06:19AM

I've noticed most Mormons aren't really bothered by violence. At least this is the way most of my YBU friends are. They have those clearplay dvd players that will censor movies. It will let you filter out violence, nudity, sex, language, etc from movies.

The thing is, they usually turn off the violence filter. If someone uses a naughty word they get all offended. If there is so much as side boob they get all read in the face. But someone getting decapitated and blood spurting all over the camera ? That they have no problem with whatsoever. It's a really bizarre mentality they have. But they are BYU students so what do you expect?

Personally, I want the oposite of the clearplay device. Something that will filter out all of the movie except the nudity and sex.

Posted by: puzzled ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 11:46AM

Not R Rated, but in my mission there was an urban myth that the Rocky movies were OK for us to watch on P Days since they were "inspirational".
Me and my companion got through the whole box set 1-5 one day. Good times!

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 01:31AM

Helios: Are you naming yourself after a liquid oxygen portable unit 300 series? Or its the marathon?

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 01:03PM

Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 11:09PM

I saw saving private ryan with my BYU Book of Mormon professor.

Good times.

Posted by: Moira (NotLoggedIn) ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 03:28PM

While visiting my family a few years ago in Eastern Utah, I was at the local Blockbuster and rented a couple of movies that were critically acclaimed which I hadn't seen. While checking them out, the young (I'm assuming obviously) TBM man said of one, "This is R rated. There is a lot of bad language in this one" to which I replied, "So? And?". The next one was a foreign film and he said, "This has subtitles. I hate subtitles. Why can't they make them all in English?" I replied, "I like to watch movies in their original language with subtitles." He finally figured out I wasn't buying his "advice". I have been to a lot of movie rental stores and have never run into this unsolicited advice anywhere else.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 04:08PM

haha..funny..so why do they have those movies there then?

well, the clerk was not the store owner i'm assuming. but still annoying.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 13, 2012 05:58PM

Saving Private Ryan. Because it's historical and informative.

I can't believe I missed so many good movies in the last two decades. Trying to make up for it now.

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: February 14, 2012 12:56AM

I am sorry guys, but I had a home teaching companion who felt the Lion King was too strong for adults.

None of these are approved.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.