Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 11:30AM

Even though you are surprised that it only took less than a day to raise over $4000, I am not surprised at all. I've been coming to this safe place for over 12 years and though I consider myself far down the path of recovery from mormonism, I still read every day and post sometimes.

You probably do not really realize what a service you provide to everyone. You have most definitely saved a few lives, I am sure.

Again, I hope you will consider leaving up the donation button so we can help keep this place going for a long long time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 11:40AM

Thanks for the kind words.

I guess I was a bit shy about asking as we have had nasty comments from some about fund raising and I am a bit too thin skinned. In every group there is the 2 - 3 % that cause issues. Perhaps I worry too much about them and not the majority who find this site helpful.

I will be in SLC Thursday Feb. 23 spending the night before catching a plane back to Chattanooga Friday morning. It would be fun to meet a few exmos for a drink or coffee Thursday evening. I am working on a project for the Department of Energy and traveling around the country. One of my stops is SLC. I will be spending the 3 days prior in Wyoming and using SLC for the return flight home.

Posted by: hedonist ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 11:58AM

I agree totally. I have been away for years but haven't "officially" severed ties. But...this place was so good for me to stumble upon a few years ago. I believe there are probably so many people that just lurk here and get verification, justification, just the feeling that maybe they aren't wrong or crazy. This place gives them the ability to think through, ask questions that they would otherwise never be able to air out. Hey bishop, what do you think of this garment thing? Or whatever. Those of us that have "come out" have a responsibility to those still closeted.

Posted by: hedonist ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:01PM

Always ready for a drink or coffee in DC

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:58PM

A trip to the airport Thursday would be very doable for me. I'm very close and I LOVE coffee.

Email trumanappleton@gmail.com if you'd really like a meetup but would rather not put your whereabouts online for all to see. I bet a few other posters like Stunted and Socrates2 are close enough to make it.

Posted by: Socrates2 ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 11:12PM

so she'll take care of it. And I agree 100% with all those who suggest you keep the donation link up. This site was the only place many of us had, and have, for a little light in the darkness. It's a home away from all the insanity and I think you may not realize the love and appreciation we feel for you and those who help on the site. Donating gives us a chance to show the appreciation.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 12:31PM

Don't worry about it. It's not like you were asking for money so you could build a mall.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 01:50PM

forbiddencokedrinker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
couldn't help this

> Don't worry about it. It's not like you were
> asking for money so you could build a mall
....(where it took a billion $ just to get to scratch from undoing your previous mess up, the thing would be hopelessly implausible business wise and you blamed the need for the project on Jesus)

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:45PM

I've been thinking the same things as gemini has. I am also well on my way to being "recovered", but I continue to learn from this site, and continue to work on overcoming the effects of 47 years as a mormon.

I'm not surprised that so much has been donated in so short a time, and the donations continue to come in. I think that if you leave the donation button up you'll continue to get the funds needed to run this site.

Eric, you and Susan and others have given so much and have asked for nothing in return. As you can see, many, many people have been helped by your efforts, and those people are here to help support those efforts financially. Just ignore those other folks, the nasty ones who condemn your fund raising. They mean nothing to you nor to this site.

As always, THANKS!!!

TG

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 01:04PM

I can try to meet up, too...I am not too far from the airport, or if you are staying in a hotel close to the airport, that works, too.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 03:48PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 01:05PM

Keep this site alive! Voluntary donations are amazing!

Posted by: pamarnold ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 01:58PM

I will be donating too. I just need to wait until the 1st pay period. :) Thank you so much for this wonderful sight.

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 06:10PM

Topping so maybe even a few more bucks will flow in. :)

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 06:51PM

Just added a few dollars from the UK for 'future upgrades'.

This site will continue to help people well into the future. I've been reading here since around 2006 when I first discovered it and read many (maybe all) the exit stories first.

Have enjoyed the exmormon foundation conferences also.

Learned so much. Thank you all.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 06:59PM

I'd give anything (within reason,of course) to this site. It has kept me sane for many,many months. I love RfM and am more than happy to make a donation.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 07:47PM

You and Susan I/S do a great service for all of us. It is important you take proper care of yourselves while doing it. I agree with the proposal you should be reimbursed for the money you put into the site, Eric, and I hope you will not hesitate to do fundraising as needed.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 08:36PM

Please leave the link to donate up. My internet connection has been buggy for a few days and I wasn't able to donate last night but will try again tonight.

Thanks for all you do.

Posted by: exkoug ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 09:12PM

Just donated a little for future upgrades. This is a great resource & am happy to help out.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 09:25PM

We're sending in some money tomorrow--this site has been a tremendous help to DH and me. Thanks for all you do! It's been such a comfort to interact with people who understand what we are going through.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:37PM

Money was sent today. There wasn't anyway to mark that if was from us, not that that matters, but we just wanted to you to know. Thanks again for your efforts here!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 09:36PM

I don't want to see the hardworking owners/moderators penilized for their devotion to exmos and those who are leaving the mormon church.

I'm grateful to them and am certainly willing to donate as needed.

I hesitate to use the "T" word, but I think those who complain about fundraising might be in that dreaded unmentionable category of lowlife quaisi humanity.

My donation is signed and sealed.

All my love and appreciation to anyone who joins with me in thanking Erik and his faithful staff of exmo troopers.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 10:01PM

Eric - LEAVE THE DONATE LINK UP.

I've been politely beating you up about a way for us to help contribute for some time as you know. It is a big relief to be able to finally be able to help, and I demand to be able to help on a continuing basis.

I can say without any hesitation that the modest dollars I have contributed to the various exmormon efforts in the few months since leaving have done more to directly benefit real people and improve and empower their lives than the many tens of thousands I pissed way paying tithing.

It is an honor to be able to contribute.

You sir, and your colleagues, are heros.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 12:28PM

I've given a small token of my appreciation for all your selflessness over the years. I'm glad that I could help out a little. Many, many thanks.

Tyson

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 12:37PM

I think that the donation buttion should stay up and/or the board should do a fundraising drive once a year or as needed. There's no reason that Eric should be paying for this out of pocket.

As for the critics, I'll bet that none of them have ever tried to run a message board that can generate millions of hits as quickly as this one can. I would disregard their opinions.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 01:10PM

Don't know if they are *The T-Word* but that's okay, they will make lovely chew toys anyway.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:39PM

Eric when you are in Chattanooga, let me know. I travel there regularly and would love to shake your hand, buy you a cup of whatever you drink, and tell you thank you.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:43PM

I hope you can meet. Eric is a very nice man. Kinna shy but very nice. Do you fish?

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 03:29PM

Not regularly, but I do enjoy it and have my license. I live in the 'Boro and come down there two times a month or more

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 03:30PM by icanseethelight.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:55PM

Please keep up the abilitly to donate, many of us will, just have to wait for payday. Thanks for such wonderful job. If I donate are you providing and garments for free? haaaaaaaaaaa

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.