Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jeb ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 12:55PM

I only remember once. Hinckley said men and woman should not put marriage and families on hold for their education. When we got in the car, my dad turned around to face my sister and I and said he didn't care what the prophet said. We were to finish our education before getting married and starting a family. And then he turned around and drove home and we never spoke of it again. Anyone else have a similar scenario happen in their home?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 12:57PM

Never.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 12:59PM

My birth mother thinks luciferians are now running the church, although she still believes.

Go figure.

Date: February 15, 2012 01:03PM

I would be curious to know why she thinks that.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 01:11PM

She thinks that the mainstreaming going on in the church is to make people fall away so only the hardcore will remain. Which makes no sense since the church is mainstreaming as fast as they possibly can to try and retain members.

Date: February 15, 2012 01:18PM

interesting.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 01:07PM

then we didn't have to believe it. Of course, that was before we all knew what nonsense the standard works were.

We had a lot of what my Mom called "fanatics" in the ward I grew up in. My folks had many discussions after SS classes on points of so-called doctrine. During my growing up years our home was a welcoming place for different points of view and the search for more information.

Then Mom got a job working at the SL Temple when I was in college and she turned into one of those "fanatics."

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 01:08PM

and if they did I never heard about it because they were afraid to be singled out due to questions going against what the church teaches/taught, etc. Same goes for my husbands TBM family

My husband and I have been the only ones to openly question and to leave. It has caused a lot of problems and hard feelings... not on our part I assure you, but on the part of some of our TBM relatives. They just don't understand how we can't just "put it on a shelf" and ignore it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 01:09PM by searching27.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 01:10PM

My Family?? OMG no.

It takes a lot of faith to keep your head that far in the sand.

That is why I define "TBM faith" as willful ignorance.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 01:14PM

I noticed that a lot of extended family members and other TBMs became liberal overnight when Spencer Kimball gave his anti-hunting conference talk in the 80's.
"Don't Kill The Little Birdies..."
Suddenly the Prophets Words were just his own personal opinion, and could be ignored.
I still use his talk to razz my TBM family members who LOVE to Kill The Little Birdies!

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 01:15PM

Mine used to all the time. Now they are very tight-lipped about saying anything negative about the church in front of me.

Posted by: sivab1 ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 11:57AM

Same here and it is really awkward because I can tell they want to and they know they do but we both know why they don't. :)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 05:52PM

My family at times criticized the church although it was fairly rare

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: February 15, 2012 06:01PM

Because just recently they've seen

Descendants

King's Speech

Titles I'm trying to remember

They make exceptions to the R rated rule IF they want to see it.

K

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 12:48PM

My mother, who makes BKP look liberal, actually said out loud "how can they do that? It says right here that the seed of Cain won't receive the Priesthood until ..." and she read off the condition that was supposed to precede such an event. I don't even remember anymore what that was supposed to be.

I think it was a few weeks before she managed to squelch the thoughts that The Leaders were in a state of apostacy for disagreeing with the BoA, McConkie, and Joseph Fielding Smith.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 12:58PM

My mom could go on for hours about the various acts of buffoonery in the church, but the church authorities are never to be questioned...but she is a sucker for extracurricular theories and study groups.
My dad does not talk church very much, but his philosophy is that God will punish you if you don't do everything you are supposed to do. The church says what to do and you do it because that's what you do.
My dad also warned me never to ask questions about church stuff- like the time in Primary class when I asked why I could make my own rainbows with the sprinkler, if they were a sign from God. Yep, the teacher ratted me out before I even got home.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.