Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Harmony ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 03:17PM

I cant' understand why this woman stayed in the church. Must be a professional decision by her and her dh.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/columbia-historian-claudia-bushman-mitt-romney-her-former-163759785.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Harmony ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:49PM

All voters should read the following clip and ask themselves if Romney would lead the nation, or would the church be pressuring his every move.

"Bushman, who lived in Southern California during the Prop 8 campaign when she and her husband taught at Claremont College, said she was similarly torn, though she doesn't have a close family member who is gay.

"We didn't do anything about it," she said.
"But I also didn't want to be on record as going against it."

She said she remembers the campaign as a "painful" time, as some Mormons felt pushed to act against their conscience. Some people temporarily lost their temple-recommends--which are given to the faithful so they can attend certain religious ceremonies at temples that are closed to outsiders--when they loudly protested, she said."
-----------

It's frightening how much influence the church can get away with---- so far!

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:09AM

Yep, I had two brothers who were coerced by their bishops into giving money to Prop 8 (separate wards and stakes). Both felt uncomfortable about it--mainly because I'd been so vocal about how wrong Prop 8 was and the fact that I support gay marriage. However, both ended up caving when their bishops told them that sustaining and following the prophet was part of their covenants--basically implying that to not contribute would be the same as deliberately disobeying the prophet (obviously a worthiness issue). When you realize that you might be deemed unworthy to use your priesthood or to have a temple recommend, that really gets most TBMs. Disturbing, right?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:24AM

My bil was approached to give $$ to prop 8.

He told them he couldn't do it for a number of reasons.
1. He believed what he'd always been taught. The church isn't involved in politics.

2. He had a couple of gay relatives, and didn't want to judge them.

3. He's putting 2 kids through school and didn't have the$$.

4. What if someone he loved was gay? How could he be comfortable around them in the future?

I think that's pretty good for a TBM. This is a guy who has a very difficult time telling anyone no. I'm proud of him.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:33AM

the Mormon church is the Whore of the Earth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.