Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hobblecreek ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 07:19PM

Most Christian churches get their ideas on offices in the church from two sources, from reading the New Testament or from the historic Christian tradition. The NT mentions a lot of different potential ministries and can be interpreted in various ways. In the historic Christian church there is traditionally a three tiered ministry of bishop, presbyter, and deacon. The bishops and presbyters are considered to share in a common priesthood that is thought to be derived from the original apostles and is neccesary for offering the Eucharist.

Some churches try to go solely on the NT record, others follow the three tiered ministry, others some blend of the two. Joseph Smith started with the NT text, like many Protestants do, but then started to add his own unconventional spin on things.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 07:47PM

Cheryl said this in the other thread:

"Religions have a right to use their own words in their own way. BUT:

they do not have a right to dictate how others perceive them. Nor do they have a right to expect nonbelievers to support peculiar terms or strange religious beliefs.

There's a huge difference between respecting everyone's right to do and say dumb things and actually honoring or respecting what is dumb, dishonorable, or lacking in respectibility."

I, DeAnn, agree with Cheryl.

SusieQ1 said this:

"Re: Some clarity on the meaning of the offices of the Melchizedek priesthood and the office of "Elder" ...

NOPE. Clearly, every one posting here does not know "exactly what Mormonism is"... most Mormons don't.
Just ask them such things as: how did you like the story about the white buffalo in the Book of Mormon?....
Ask them if D&C 132 has anything to do with the marriage sealing covenant and what it is?I could go on and on.

Many have an idea, they know a few things, some know a lot, some know a little, but as many have posted, they learned much more about Mormonism when they left or in the process of leaving when they researched it.
I've seen several threads on that specific subject.

So, I will continue to make sure what I refer to is actual church teachings or policy so there is no confusion.
Having worked for CES in years past, I have a lot of experience in what Mormons don't know about their own religion! :-)"

I, DeAnn, am just simply flabbergasted because SusieQ1 is saying that that not everyone here on RfM knows "exactly" what Mormonism is and that she will refer to actual church teaching and policies so there is no confusion because she worked for CES in years past and has a lot of experience in what Mormons don't know about their own religion.

dear god. . . .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 07:54PM by DeAnn.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 09:12PM

that, as you say:

"Elder doesn't mean "old man" to Mormons, like some people claim. It isn't an oxymoron in the Mormon church to call a 19 year old Elder."

Of course not! Of course not! Of course not!

That is because, how shall I put it, the Mormon is inside the phrase while the people seeing it as an oxymoron are outside the phrase.

The Mormon takes the phrase on a literal level. The outsider sees the phrase with another layer of meaning.

Exactly analogous to the oxymoron, military intelligence.

The military does not see that as an oxymoron. Of course not!

Only the outsider looking on sees an oxymoron in "military intelligence."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.