Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 09:44AM

i mean its not like youre "released" by the laying on of hands when you resign or are excommunicated, its probably just an update in a database, a push of a button or a mouseclick. and at the ever-increasing exit-rate, i wonder if god ever forgets to un-holy-ghost anyone, like if people go on continuing to possess the power of the priesthood of the one and only true church on the face of the most wicked earth ever created?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2010 09:44AM by Nick Humphrey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 10:53AM

when I left the church

I'm still waiting.

I still think I can sense when I need to be cautious or suspicious. (Ya know . . . the old "warning" thing).

I'm still moved to tears by beautiful music.

I still have a strong sense of right and wrong.

I was waiting to see when I'd end up "past feeling", but I think I have a wider spectrum of emotions now, since I'm not suppressing ones I once considered unacceptable.

Date: November 24, 2010 10:56AM

Posted by: Mary's other child ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 10:58AM

Sounds like a plot for a soap.

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:19PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:27PM

You have to be worthy of his presence, then he can prompt you to be righteous, which you already were in order for him to be around. He can help you make decisions, but since you're righteous, you were probably going to Choose the Right anyway.

But the instant you stray the least bit from the One True Path, he's out of there -- just when you could use him.

Date: November 24, 2010 02:59PM

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:31PM

for spiritual catastrophe, i.e. a withdrawal of the spirit and I waited for a demonic hit squad to attack me at night. I wondered if my lifestyle would be summarily disrupted by financial difficulty and ruin - given the "blessings" that were being removed. Nothing happened. I began recognizing that what I once regarded as the "still small voice" was "still" there. Must be me - my own brain. I did not feel depressed, but rather extremely happy since leaving the church. I was never visited by satan or poccessed by demons. I have been blessed in everyway possible since leaving the cult. Who'd a thunk.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:37PM

Yeah, that's the big realization a lot of us have after leaving the church. It's good.

Now, if there were just something that could be done about family and friends freaking out.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:49PM

He warned me that I would "FEEL" the Holy Ghost's lack of presence in my life. He said he felt it when he was disfellowshipped for a period of time. Imagine his surprise when the next time we talked, I was happier than I had ever been.

Somethings I always noted about the situation were:
*I had already been out of the church officially for several months before I told him. Why had I not "felt" it leave before he told me? (Of course, we know the answer.)
*The only reason he probably felt like there was something missing was because he felt guilty for being disfellowshipped, not because he was missing anything.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 01:07PM

My Holy Ghost ran off with my Testimonkey many years ago. Cheating b@st@rds!

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 01:17PM

If you have to pray the HG into somebody, it sure seems like there ought to be some kind of a ceremony to undo it:

"Dear Heavenly Father, we come before thee this day with grateful hearts for all thy wonderful blessings, and we thank thee for the gift of the Holy Ghost and the holy Melchizedek Priesthood.

It is with great sorrow in our hearts that we ask thee to revoke the powers of the priesthood and the Holy Ghost from our brother en passant, who has gone astray from the truth of Your precious gospel and become a Son of Perdition. Even though brother en passant has denied You as did Peter to your precious Son Jesus, we ask that your mercy and guidance be upon him through the certainty of all his tribulations.

We ask these favors humbly in the name of your Son, Jesus Christ, Amen.

<LOUD POP>

Date: November 24, 2010 03:01PM

Posted by: Mormer Formon ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 01:35PM

has an "ordinance" that they perform in their "temple" that turns the apostate, whom they name, over to "the buffetings of Satan". They claim that they have this ordinance handed down through the "correct" priestcraft authority from the days of JS, BY, etc...

Posted by: flash ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 01:42PM

In all the years I was in the church, no one has ever clearly defined to me what the "buffetings of Satan" are. Does he own many buffet restaruants or something?

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 03:33PM

flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In all the years I was in the church, no one has
> ever clearly defined to me what the "buffetings of
> Satan" are. Does he own many buffet restaruants or
> something?

Golden Corral, obviously.

Date: November 25, 2010 10:01AM

http://www.fldstruth.org/administration.php?index=5

"
Uncle Lorin related in my hearing that one of the Church authorities in Salt Lake said to him, "Lorin, since your father has been cut off he is not suffering enough, we may have to have him put in jail for six months."
"

this is nuts!
i wonder which church official Lorin is referring to?

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 02:06PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 02:14PM

I got tired of waiting for the Holy ghost to be removed, and when he finally appeared we decided to go buy some smokes and have a beer to discuss it! HAHA LOL!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 02:16PM

Did I mention that the holy ghost prefers 'Pay Lay Ale' brand beer?? ha ha....LOL!

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 03:39PM

after the cable co forget to shut it off?

Interesting idea. Even Mos admit that people experience the HG before they're dunked— and I always thought the exclusive gift of the HG was a bit of sales scam anyway.

My point: My 'experiences' haven't changed since no longer believing. I merely interpret things differently...HG or no HG.

Truthfully though I'd rather be getting HBO for free.

Posted by: MrsRaptorJesus ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 11:04AM

No, you don't "lose the Holy Ghost" when you leave the church. Everyone, Mo or no, has their intuition which is the exact same thing as the holy ghost. Mo's just call it the spirit and are possibly more aware of it because of all of the lessons about it. But, everyone has those 'feelings' when something is or isn't right. It sure wouldn't surprise me though if there was some kind of revoking prayer that was said when someone resigns or is excomunicated. That seems like just the kind of thing they'd try to do to us apostates.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.