Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 10:02PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/53570545-90/abstinence-allow-bill-education.html.csp

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet. Great news for Utah though! Let's keep our kids in a bubble.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 10:23PM

Yes, let's keep our kids in a bubble. Given all we know, this is so silly (but not surprising). Are there other states that allow this?? Or is this a Utah thing? Just wondering.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 10:35PM

As far as I know it is just Utah.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 11:32PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 11:49PM by MJ.

Posted by: eskimogirlfriend ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 10:26PM

What year are we living in again??

Posted by: heftmyplates ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 10:37PM

We all know that sex is an evil activity and should only be done by married couples who are earnestly trying to produce a child.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 11:10PM

Posted by: TheIrrationalShark ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 11:16PM

I feel as though Utah is regressing and "devolving" in terms of social progress. Either that, or it's being left behind in the dust. Living here and puting up with the Conservative bull-crap is making me very impatient. Their perception of reality is so distorted, it makes me sick. It's as if they want to wish away the idea of sex completely. It's so odd...it's like their dirty little secret, something that should not be mentioned, just something that has to be done. Obviously, I'm not talking about everyone...

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: February 23, 2012 11:48PM

"We’ve been culturally watered down to think we have to teach about the world we live in, about having to live in the world we live in and how to get away with it, which is intellectually dishonest," said bill sponsor Rep. Bill Wright, R-Holden. "Why don’t we just be honest with them upfront that living in the world we live in is devastating?"

Honesty is the best policy I always say ( I added that that the rest is reading between the lines)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 11:52PM by Bal.

Posted by: djmaciii ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 01:25AM

Do you really want a Utah teacher talking to your kid about sex anyway?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 09:22PM

I had sex ed way back in the late 60s. About half of it was too vague to be useful, but being taught outside the home or church didn't scar my tender psyche or turn me into a sexual pervert.

Posted by: flaxenlocks ( )
Date: February 26, 2012 06:16AM

I, too, had sex ed in high school in the late 60's. Between the church and my TBM parents, I had no clue. Really enjoyed the class and it taught me quite a bit about diseases, birth control, responsibility and frankly, life. My mother was terrified of me taking the class because she thought I just might "experiment" with what I learned. She was also afraid that the lesbian girl's gym teacher was going to "turn me" to the other side. Especially because we lived in San Francisco! She was relieved, upon graduation, that I hadn't become a slut or a lesbo. (no offense to the gay folks onboard!) Her relief turned to sorrow when I turned 18 on graduation day and told her the Mormon Church could stick it in their ear and I wasn't going back....EVER! It's been 42 years...and counting!

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 01:41AM

I am thinking the church control over the state govt is waning. The down economy and the church's in your face mall building and refusing to help the members who lost jobs, then asking them to clean the buildings has started a mass exodus. Plus they have a crap product(doctrine) to sell.

So the really staunch members need to hear this or they won't vote for these primitive politicians. Most of the folks who work in or manage the public schools are academics and despise the legislature anyway.

They are hanging on to all they have left. The church is throwing out bones to the members who are angry but still beleive after the mall and janitor fiasco.

I think this stuff should be part of health and biology. First and formost teach kids how the human body works. And age appropriate then teach them how mammals procreate.

I always made sure that my kids heard it from me first. And they knew and know they can ask me anything.

This will back fire like everything else they are trying to do.
I moved out of SLC 25 years ago to Davis county. It is not the same city I left.
Utah is so pretty with the mountains and and all the national parks. Tired of the whole if you don't like it here leave.
WE need more non and ex-morons to tell them if you don't like it leave.

Posted by: Alexzander ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 02:03AM

Good for them! They want more Mormons, what better way to do that than to not teach teens about birth control.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 03:19AM

Every day I have another reason to say "THANK HEAVEN I AM NO LONGER IN UTAH"!!!!!!!!
Here is something to think about - right now some say that the least conservative of the republican hopefuls is Mitt. When a TBM is the most "liberal/moderate" the USA is in serious trouble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 03:23AM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: ymountain ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 03:29AM

I think this is a great idea. It further ingrains in our youth that sex should only be discussed in marriage. Before marriage, you shouldn't even think about sex. It is a dirty and vile act that needs to be ignored. We don't want our children having proper education about how STDs and pregnancy can be prevented, because we all know that LDS children are perfect and ALWAYS wait till marriage, therefore STDs are no problem and pregnancy is always a good thing, even when you and your spouse do not have the means to take care of a child. God will always provide.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 09:59PM

Mormon approved sex education lesson:

Young saints, in between your belly button and thighs, there is a zone called potty. The potty zone is for going to the rest room. If you touch that zone in a non-rest room way, you are sinning. If it feels good, it may already be too late for you. Run, don't walk, to your bishop. He will ask for specific details about your potty handling techniques. Confess all to him, if you want salvation.

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: February 26, 2012 12:11AM

Don Bagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormon approved sex education lesson:
>
> Young saints, in between your belly button and
> thighs, there is a zone called potty. The potty
> zone is for going to the rest room. If you touch
> that zone in a non-rest room way, you are sinning.
> If it feels good, it may already be too late for
> you. Run, don't walk, to your bishop. He will ask
> for specific details about your potty handling
> techniques. Confess all to him, if you want
> salvation.

LMAO

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 10:05PM

Alexzander nailed it;

this will assure that passed-down mis-information will rule & reign. Due to this, more teen-age pregnancies, MORE children for infertile couples to adopt.

ChurchCo WINS, making a 'bad example' out of the teens (Mostly the females, Of Course!).

PLUS, ChurchCo 'morality', influence over UT legislature & Governor (LDS?) is affirmed.

SICK, on all sides of the equation

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2012 10:09PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 10:28PM

I went to school well outside the Morridor, but if not for public school sex ed, I would not have gotten accurate information about human sexuality. My parents never talked to me about sex at all. I later asked my mom about that, and she said that if I had come to her with any questions, she would have answered them. Well, I was far too shy to do that, and wouldn't have known what to ask anyway.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 10:56PM

It's the old "if we don't teach them about sex they won't do it" argument.

I'm sure the taxpayers are going to foot the bill for all these unwed mothers.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 26, 2012 07:42AM

WE lived in Utah in the early 90's...no PE, ART or Music in the elem. schools. This does not surprise me. First, heaven forbid anything is said that may indicate all people don't think a like as far as sexual activities go. And heaven forbid if children are taught the word masterbation (hey, isn't that a common word for Mormons)- and if it may be noted it is "normal". And since the PTA or PTO was about 90% or more LDS when I was there they win on any issue up for discussion as this probably was.... and around the state I think the large majority would agree if the vote was to - have it OR don't have it.

We have a 5th grade sex ed in our elem. schools. The parents can see the curriculum and opt out if they wish. So what is wrong with that approach?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2012 07:50AM by honestone.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: February 26, 2012 08:26AM

That is all.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 26, 2012 08:34AM

TBMs already have the greatest birth control of all. Their personalities.

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: February 26, 2012 09:15AM

COOL!!!!

Now they really WILL have the dumbest people on the planet there! Can you imagine 50,000 missionaries with ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how babies are made?

;-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.