Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sweet ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 12:34AM

Haha! I don't know if anyone here has seen this, but I think most of you would get at least a smile, if not laugh till you're crying (which is what I did the first time I saw it) My youngest daughter just played it again for me..and still laugh out loud. Just search YouTube for Betty Butterfield. You'll find it..enjoy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 12:48AM

One of my favorite things to do (when I have really nothing to do) is indulge in a little somthingsomthing and watch me some Betty videos.

The guy (chuck kipp) is genious. I'm thinking that he must be exmo as many of his videos use mormon tunes in the background.

Posted by: AlexisAnne ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 03:29AM

Levi, I'm curious. Were you born into the church, or did you convert at an early age. Have you been a member of another church?

The reason I ask is that I've seen many of "Betty's" videos. The only two I caught with tunes I recognized as uniquely Mormon hymns or songs were the LDS video and the Jehovah's Witness video.The J. W. video used the "I Am a Child of God" tune, and I wondered if the J. W.'s co-opted it and changed the words to make it fit their theology, or if "Betty" was merely confused as to whose song it really was. The other hymns I heard were ones that are in the LDS hymnal but not LDS in origin, such as "A Mighty Fortress," which was in the Lutheran video, and is, despite being included in the LDS hymnal, originally Lutheran. (Martin Luther himself penned the original words.)

It's been awhile since I've watched Betty's videos, so I probably need to go back and watch them again, but most of the hymns I heard the first time I listened were ones that the LDS hymnal uses but that are not originally Mormon. People who have grown up in the church or haven't been affiliated with any other church often are unaware as to which hymn tunes are LDS in origin and which are borrowed from other sources.

Date: November 25, 2010 04:12AM

I'm dead on ignunt when it comes to church hymns.

I was BIC with zero exposure to other religions until I left the morg a decade ago. At that time I realized that the tunes that I had associated with pure mormonism were in fact ripped off wholesale from other songs.

Praise To The Douche was in fact a very old Scottish (?) tune, but did I know that? Not until I was 30!

You're right about the "I Am A Nephew Of God" tune. (even when I was a TBM that was my LEAST favorite song - I hated it, still do)

What about "Should You Chance To Hie To Kolob"? (I know that's not the right title, but I refuse to give it any credence). It was my understanding that that is actually a mormon tune. Am I wrong again?

Posted by: AlexisAnne ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 05:07AM

Levi,
The melody for "If You Could Hie to Kolob" is an old English tune with the hymn name "Kingsfold." Ralph vaughan Williams did a lovely arrangement. The Church of England probably used it first, probably for "O Jesus, Crowned With all Renown." The Catholics use it for "I heard the voice of Jesus Say." Some Protestant denominations use the tune for "O Sing a Song of Bethlehem." It's not uncommon for Protestants to use the same tune two or three times for different songs in the same hymnal. Catholics can have more than one use for common melodies as well, but the missal doesn't typically have as many hymns as a standard Protestant hymnal, so there isn't as much multi-use. Hymn tunes aren't used multiple times in the LDS hymnal, although I think the melody for "God, our Father, Hear Us Pray" may have been used also for a choir hymn in the old hymnal. I may be confusing my hymns here. The sacament hymns all start to resemble one another after awhile.

Date: November 25, 2010 05:46AM

do do do do.

Is there anything that is ORIGINAL with the morg?

My god, everything is a ripoff! A copy! An imitation!

Nothing original, nothing unique. Just a bland reinterpretation of somebody elses hogwash.

And to think that I used to wear special panties. What a crock.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.