Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon this one time ( )
Date: February 27, 2012 06:39PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: February 27, 2012 07:02PM

Yep, love it.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: February 27, 2012 07:18PM

I was on that one for about a year. It did seem to relieve the depression I was dealing with at the time, but in a way that revealed the underlying cause was anxiety.

And it did nothing for the anxiety, possibly made it a little worse because it made me feel altered in a way I was sure other people could see.

I weaned off it very slowly. I get "brain zaps" from very minor discontinuation, so it took for-ever to get off of it. It was better than quitting zoloft, IMO.

Ultimately, my depression was due to anxiety in combination with vitamin and mineral deficiency. Getting my shortages sorted out helped immensely. Now I think I probably feel pretty "normal". I have bad hormonal swings, down days, outright bad days, and a certain amount of good days.

Just having that punctuation is such a help. There ARE good days sometimes, instead of unrelenting horrible days.

My anxiety is from the church and my MORmONic parents. I still need to work on that.
But in the meantime I use several herbal remedies. Not what you're thinking, lol! Ethnobotany has a lot to offer.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: February 27, 2012 07:26PM

Check the warning for increased risk of heart attack above certain dosages for people who have heart disease. The warning was recently released.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 07:29PM by robertb.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 27, 2012 07:47PM

I take it daily for anxiety. 40mg. dose. It works most of the time, but sometimes I need a tranquilizer (Klonopin).

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: February 27, 2012 07:58PM

Posted by: ymountain ( )
Date: February 27, 2012 08:07PM

Yep. I've been on it since the summer. It's been a good fit for me.

Posted by: foxystoner ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 03:54AM

It was the third anti depressant I tried and by far the most helpful.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 11:32AM

I have taken it for quite a while. It seems to help. I haven't been depressed or overly anxious in ages.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 11:35AM

I discontinued.

I didn't like the warnings re: sexual side effects.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 11:52AM

The SSRIs all have sexual side effects and they are real. They worked for me in terms of depression/anxiety. Worked well.

You can be un-depressed or bonerless, pick any one.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 12:25PM

The doctor prescribed it for me a couple months prior to me resigning. It was interesting that after I resigned my now ex asked me if I would then go off the medication. She recognized that TSCC caused a lot of my problems.

I stopped taking it because of the side affects I had.

The first issue I had was inorgasmia. That wasn’t too bad, as I could get excited for sex, but it would take hours to climax. The side affect that I quit cold turkey because of was I was not able to urinate (started about 4 months after taking the medication). But, as with many antidepressants, the affects are very individualized. The hard part is the affects (good and bad) sometimes require a long time to manifest themselves.

I currently am not on any meds, but have found relief through a healthier lifestyle. Without all the church crap to do, I have found time to get to the gym and become fit.

Celexa did help me decide to leave TSCC. While on it my emotions were stunted to the point that my decision was purely logical. Take out the emotions and it was easy to call BS on the whole church thing.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 12:47PM

My wife has it prescribed for her....it works...no side effects..

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 01:01PM

I've been on 20mg for about a month and a half now for anxiety. So far so good. I had the sexual side effects for about 3 weeks, but seem to be fine now. (Inability/difficulty to achieve orgasm. My sex drive is still decreased, but at least I can finish now.) I have had no issues with anxiety since I started taking it. Doc said it could take up to a month to kick in, but I felt it immediately. There have been numerous instances that would usually incite an anxiety attack, but so far I haven't had any. Aside from that, I am a little more tired than usual and a little more apathetic. I'll take that trade off in exchange for not thinking I'm going to die every day.

Posted by: miserable in ut county ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 01:32PM

I'm on 40 mg. I started it an hour after giving birth to my last baby to try to prevent post-partum depression that I had with my previous baby. I'm am very dependent on it. If I miss more than 3 doses I feel suicidal. I also have anxiety issues so I think it has helped with that alot. I believe it has also helped to kill my sex drive. DH isn't too thrilled.

But overall, I think it works well. I did like Lexapro better but it is way too expensive.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.