Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 12:53AM

I spent 2 weeks in Utah. Never again!
The people were weird and horribly rude.
The only good person I met was the guy who owned a plant nursery in Manti. He told us every thing that was going on in town. Very interesting. I felt bad for him though. He seemed a bit sad that the place has turned into the polyg. place that it has.
That was when I was TBM.

I might drive through, or fly over, but I'll never ever stay in Utah again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 01:49PM

2 thumbs up! I hated UT sooo bad...spent 19 years there, double yuck! 2 weeks of pure culture shock, then spent the remaining years trying to get the hell outta there! Felt so free when I crossed from UT into WY. I of course extended my left arm out the window and flipped UT the "bird" Then I yelled out the window "F--- You Utah!"

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 12:59AM

I think of Utah as being beautiful with mountains and state parks. Maybe people don't like it because they think of mormons?

A recent survey said New Mexico got low marks for being too close to Arizona. Personally, I like the weather.

My family still lives in IL. I visit them once a year and do touristy things in Chicago.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 08:33PM

dk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think of Utah as being beautiful with mountains
> and state parks. Maybe people don't like it
> because they think of mormons?
>

I agree. I think that Utah is one of the most beautiful states that there is. I've driven or ridden a motorcycle through more than half of the states, and Utah is one of the best.

However, it was settled by Mormons. Why did they have to pick one of the most beautiful states to settle in? Why couldn't they have gone a little further to Nevada?

I would assume that if the Mormons didn't get it first, it would be populated roughly the same as Colorado. If so, it would have unparalleled beauty with all of The National Parks etc. but have cool people.

The climate and geography of Utah is great. Too bad that the wrong people got there first.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 01:03AM

whatever

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 01:17AM

There are many reasons to rank states and I think how you are treated there as a visitor or new resident must rank very high. In both cases, you are pretty much ignored after they try to lovebomb the newcomers. When they don't succeed they ignore you and treat you like "steer clear of those unworthy souls". Sure there is Park City and a few other places that have plenty of nevermos and visitors but it is not the true state of Utah. I love the mtns. there and the spring and summer, but would never want to live there again due to how we were treated. Four yrs. is too much I learned.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 01:25AM

In defense of my home state of N.J. if it weren't for the political corruption, it has a lot to offer.

1. 126 miles of beach front property

2. Historical sites everywhere

3. Easy access to New York City, and its cultural offerings

4. One of the best bird watching areas in the country

5. Lots of yummy ethic food

6. Some of the most kind hearted, loving people who walk the planet.

7. Plus, Simon and Garfunkel are natives

Oh, and to set the record straight, the expression 'New Joisey'
is from old New York City speech habits. I've never heard any New Jerseyans speak that way.

End of lesson :-)

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 07:33AM

people state (if that can be a sub ranking), but Wyoming has to be one of the worst gawd forsaken states I have ever been too, overall. Than again, I have only seen it from I-70 and I-80, so my view is skewed.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 09:41AM

and if you have only seen Wyoming from I-80, then you have missed the beautiful northwest part of the state.

Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park are the crown jewels of the National Park system. If you drive north from Evanston WY to Jackson Hole WY you will experience a truly scenic land. Try it, you'll like it!

Posted by: Scooter in TX ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 09:33PM

is hands down the ugliest land I have ever seen.

And I am one who loves to drive through new places and enjoy the countryside.

But SE Wyoming is just butt ugly.

You know that mangy snaggle-toothed hairless piebald dog that was the ugliest dog in the world? The countryside of SE Wyoming, Torrington northward, looks like that dog.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 11:17AM

Wyoming, Where men are men and sheep are afraid.

I think Cheyenne was one of the worst places I have ever lived.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 10:29AM

And you can't beat the Ocean City & Wildwood boardwalks, Johnson's caramel corn & skeeball!

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 07:17AM

A whole state full of grubby fingerd clothes yanking headpatters no thanks.

Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 07:22AM

I think about the time I've spent in Utah every day. I really love it.

Posted by: miner8 ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 07:35AM

Sometimes the residents of certain states act like they built the mountains and other natural landmarks. Utah has pretty good skiing and fascinating landscapes but these things would be better still without some of the people there. Other than a silly temple and headquarters to a cult, there really isn't any man-made wonder like the Statue of Liberty or Golden Gate bridge.

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 09:49AM

Utah is a gorgeous state and I love the natural beauty of the place.

99.999% of the population are the human equivalent of used toilet paper.

.001% of the population are wonderful caring human beings (that is the percent that posts here, obviously).

:-)

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 10:49AM

I like it here (Utah). Sure, it's a stick-up-the-ass state, but I've lived here almost all my life so maybe I'm used to it. ;)

Most of my friends are exmos or nevermos so it works out. My neighborhood is predominantly LDS but I lucked out with some pretty great neighbors overall.

It is nice in the summer because I get to wear my tank tops and be comfortable, while most of the rest of Utah has to suck it up and sweat it out with their gawd awful Gs.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 10:56AM

I lived in Utah and have been there many times since. It is a beautiful state but I am glad I do not live there. It reminds me too much of the cult, it is too rigid, people are boring, too constraining, the cult has too much control over government and everything. I'd rather be some where else

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 11:27AM

I bet if you could do another poll based on the state itself, separate from the people, it would come out significantly higher up the list. If it weren't for its natural attractions, UT would come in rock bottom.

State has its pretty spots, but a lot of desert too. Good enough looking state with a soul made of ugly people. And by ugly, I mean collective attitudes. Exceptions, of course, but ruled by idiots.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 11:27AM

Since Utah has some of the country's most spectacular scenery and outdoor recreation opportunities, why is it unpopular?

Obviously, it's the people.

A closed vindictive society is not really American, so they have to do a lot of flag waving and weeping.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Gullible's Travels ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 09:12PM

I was born in Provo and spent about a decade in SL and Sandy. Even as a TBM I knew I would never want to settle down in Ut. when I grew up.
Beautiful place to visit, shitty place to put down roots.
My fav place there was a little town called Boulder in S. Central Ut. I spent a month doing a B.O.S.S. course there and it was the best time I ever had there.
Best part was I got to leave when it was over.

I've lived in CO for several years now and only wished I moved here sooner. Beautiful scenery, great cities, great recreation, mostly sane politics, and best of all; medical marijuana!

Posted by: John Taylor ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 11:35AM

I have lived in many states East and West and traveled to most of them, in all seasons.

I like the variety of geography in Utah, I like the seasons and the climate. Overall, it is the nicest state I have lived in.

I would live there now if the Mormons would all leave. (or at least act normal like they do in other states)

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 12:23PM

I am from NM and now reside in Utah, both states are quirky and both states are beautiful. The problem with Utah is that it can not laugh at is quirks and tries to hide them. Where as NM tends to embrace most of its quirks and can poke fun at them. Utah needs to be learn how to laugh at its self.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 04:53PM

After spending my last two yers of college at YBU, I was so damn eager to get out of the fucked-up state that it was amazing. I went back 25 years later and it was even worse. I am only pseaking of the TSCC mindset.

However, Utah has wonderful natural beauty. Too bad you have the lousy TBM population there.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 05:14PM

If you are Mormon, and active, you can find Utah to be a pretty nice place to live for all sorts of reasons. You're "in", part of the group, there are plenty of outdoor activities, the scenery is great, no big nasty cities.

But if you are not part of the group, well...

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 07:16PM

The main problem with New Jersey is that it's not New York. The problem with Utah is that it's not Colorado. That's why I love California, we're surrounded by lesser options.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 07:19PM

Living in Utah is miserable, unless you find a really good non-LDS group and have very little to do with Mormons or you conform and become a Utah Mormon. There is no middle ground. Most of the Mormons are rude, arrogant, ignorant and petty. They are also way, way too obsessed with appearances and way, way too judgmental about those appearances. There is no way to win because people divide into groups and look down on those in the other groups.

Plus, growing up in Northern CA, with all the rain and at a lower altitude, I really hated the high desert. Too dry, too barren and my skin, hair, health was always a mess there. So it made it hard to appreciate the natural beauty because I always felt so miserable.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 08:22PM

I enjoy visiting Utah, but I hang out with my friends, do activities, and largely avoid the locals. Plus I don't give a fig what anyone thinks about my coffee-drinking, tea-drinking, and alcohol-imbibing ways.

I loved living in Colorado. Truly a heavenly place. Virginia is lovely as well. I'm a bit surprised that Maine isn't a favorite among those polled.

Posted by: xMo ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 09:20PM

I think California was also on the least popular list, which I don't understand at all, unless it's due to the insane traffic jams and high taxes.

There are some ass-ugly parts of SoCal (esp. the Inland Empire and parts of L.A.), but it also has some of the most beautiful scenery on earth, not just in the U.S. The Route 1 drive up around Big Sur -- indeed the whole coast drive from San Francisco down to around Santa Barbara -- is in my opinion the hands-down most gorgeous region I've ever driven through. I go out of my way to make this trip every few years just to remind myself of how awesome this planet can be.

The South Coast with all the beach towns from Newport Beach to San Diego is also beautiful, though somewhat congested. Of course I've given up being able to ever afford to live here, but I love to drive through it when I can.

As for Utah, I agree with others who find the natural scenery especially in the south part stunning. Vermilion Cliffs, Zion, Arches, all that. Even the drive up US 89 through those narrow valleys (Richfield, Manti, etc.) is really pretty with its four season climate and Victorian architecture, a welcome change from the usual southwest style.

Date: February 28, 2012 09:23PM

When I say bad traffic jams, I mean on a recent drive I spent TWO freaking HOURS getting from the Santa Monica pier to Hollywood, on the surface streets. Absolutely horrifying. In that amount of time you would be able to get to Palm Springs if there were no traffic to take into account.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: February 28, 2012 09:30PM

I would have made Northern AZ and Southern Ut all one state with Flagstaff as the capital.
Druid in N.Az

Date: February 28, 2012 09:55PM

There's a lot to be said for that, as they are closely linked geologically. The "Arizona Strip" is a big chunk of AZ that is north of the Grand Canyon and it takes many hours of driving out of the way to get around the canyon to the other parts of AZ. Fugitives, drifters and loners have taken advantage of this isolation for a century. The FLDS is only the most notorious example.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.